Question Gaming PC Help

MickySoSickly

Novice Member
Reaction score
I just built a gaming desktop PC for the first time with the MSI b450 tomahawk and ryzen 3600. I go and post but when I get to the loading screen for Windows XP, I blue screen and get an ACPI complaint. I already updated the BIOS to the newest update but I still got nothing. Need help getting passed this problem.

I just built a gaming desktop PC for the first time with the MSI b450 tomahawk and ryzen 3600. I go and post but when I get to the loading screen for Windows XP, I blue screen and get an ACPI complaint. I already updated the BIOS to the newest update but I still got nothing. Need help getting passed this

That hardware is not compatible with Windows XP, support for XP was phased out some years back.

Is this meant to be a retro gaming PC for 2000's era stuff ? there's little reason to be running XP otherwise that OS is ancient at this point. Steam the main nexus for PC gaming no longer supports XP either.

There is a forum over here with people hacking XP to make it work on new hardware, replacing files in the windows with modified versions. Some seem to have luck by using a WinXP ISO image that has service pack 3 merged into the installer. See this guy running some Ryzen system with XP, he links to a modded file he replaced in the OS.

If you only used XP because it was available to you then your going to have to get Windows 10, you can get a copy for £42 on Amazon.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yeah I'm currently doing a build and once the desktop was able to boot all the way then I was going to update it to win10. But this lil problem prevents that. Not trying to stay on the XP, appreciate you highly for the info

A lot of new hardware won’t work with Xp as it does it have drivers. It’s also nearly 18 years old.

You will need to install windows 7 or 10 from a usb pen drive.

You can't upgrade a Windows XP install to Windows 10, you need to do a clean Windows 10 install.

If you only used XP because it was available to you then your going to have to get Windows 10, you can get a copy for £42 on Amazon.

If you're going to buy a dubious copy I wouldn't shell out that much for it, you can pick them up for a few quid.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yeah I'm currently doing a build and once the desktop was able to boot all the way then I was going to update it to win10. But this lil problem prevents that. Not trying to stay on the XP, appreciate you highly for the info

Do you know anyone with a spare copy of Windows 7 (or 8) they don't use, MS gave away free upgrades to Windows 10 if those OS were present, officially that offer ended a while back but it stayed active for quite a while after.

I'm guessing the door closed on that with updates to the Win 10 USB installer but its still worth a try.

As @internetuser has said, your wasting your time and effort with XP, it will not work due to drivers.

Do you have another machine you can download W10 on to?

You can install Windows 10 Home or Professional without a key.

To do a Retro setup the only way XP can be done is via a Virtual Machine in another OS like Windows 7 or 10. Haven't tried it as a VM on ESXi yet.
If it is only to play old games then check out GOG

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom