Garage - Dedicated Cinema Room

At the top of the screen you can see the screen shades. Projected nothing and the natural screen just bouncing unprojected light.
Still undecided if I should mask the screen to 2.35:1 or 16:9
Suggestions?

Last edited:
Tron IMAX scene
Where the taller screen comes in handy

Attachments

• IMG_3367.JPG
    IMG_3367.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 430
Loads to do at the back.
Roll on Christmas break!!
As you can see I've repositioned the rear lights. That was the 1st mistake. Hopefully the last.
JBL rears working ok so decided to get a new amp before I get new rears.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 418
Thought you might want to see how we get in the room.
The Devore is not having that flash from the camera is it !

Attachments

• IMG_3388.JPG
    IMG_3388.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 377
2nd mistake
Have to raise the rear floor.
Didn't think it would be high enough at 12cm but just used old wood i had hoping it was enough.
Now ive had the projector going i can see the rear seating will need more height.
£32 down B&Q and its now growing another 3 inches. 7.5 inches total.
Thankfully i had the roof/ceiling built higher than standard so at 6ft2 i still clear the projector by a 8 inches when standing.

Bit more progress made
Front now nearly complete. Center speaker coming next week.

Attachments

• IMG_3393.JPG
    IMG_3393.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 380
  • IMG_3394.JPG
    IMG_3394.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 371
2 new pics
This is a good example of the Devore at work. See how the ceiling reflects and the walls don't
This is also not a bright scene. One many of you will know. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_3428.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3429.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 155
2 new pics
This is a good example of the Devore at work. See how the ceiling reflects and the walls don't

Wow. Makes a huge difference! Hope they have some left when I come to do mine. ;-)

2 new pics
Looks like I'll have to get some .

Santa came early. 2 of these arrived
Good value at £330

Attachments

• IMG_3433.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 296
  • IMG_3432.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 258
All walls finally covered. Waiting for door sound proofing to come before I cover the door in Devore.
Need advice on a good dark carpet that will compliment the Devour.
Probably going raise and Devore the front section under the screen. Deep enough to put the sub on.

Attachments

• IMG_3523.JPG
    IMG_3523.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 468
Last edited:
The offending door
You can see there are 2 Devore panels at the bottom that need altering as the nap is the wrong way

Attachments

• IMG_3524.JPG
    IMG_3524.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Slow progress but I put the Carpet down at the weekend.
Went for a deep red and very pleased with the result. It needed some colour in there!
Will be covering the speakers in Devour at some point and will also cover about 4ft of the ceiling in Devour.
I Robot head placed to show some perspective in the photo!
I will be permanently masking off the top 5" of the screen with Devour and then make a removable mask to drop the screen ratio when needed. Having a screen for all sizes with limited masking is definitely the best option for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3779.JPG
    IMG_3779.JPG
    895 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_3780.JPG
    IMG_3780.JPG
    941.1 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_3821.JPG
    IMG_3821.JPG
    1,023.2 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_3823.JPG
    IMG_3823.JPG
    984 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_3831.JPG
    IMG_3831.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Managed to get a Marantz 7011 for a good price and i have to say im amazed how good DTS Neural X is.
I'm only running 5.1 at the moment but Neural X is so much better than running in direct mode.
What are people's opinions on this?

Hoping to get the ceiling speakers in April/May. Saving hard as i want to go for IW95s as a good match for my front IW950's.
Neural X has made me realize if a films not Atmos i can still use all speakers.
Years ago i always ran direct mode on my Denon's as i didn't like the false processing amps used to do. Seems to have come along way.

Last edited:
4 Seats now
The aircon is getting good use. Don't think you could stay in there too long in this weather with out it!
Even covered up the light switch with Devour as although it was black it was very distracting!
The buttons are soft touch so Devour works perfectly.
The 3 x IW950's at the front are also covered in Devour.
Used double sided tape and just had to stick the Devour over the lip of the grills. Only took a few hours.
Next its some IW95's for the front ceiling and then in a few months 2 more for the rear.
Once the front hights are up i will Devour the ceiling, about 4 foot in.
Although there lots on the net about Atmos ceiling placement what are people opinions for height speakers.
I'm thinking about placing them about 3 foot in front of the listening position for the front seats and the same for the rear seats.This will put the rear heights about 1 foot away from front listening position
Opinions welcome from people who have seating in 2 rows of 2.

Attachments

• IMG_4802.JPG
    IMG_4802.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 360
  • IMG_4806.JPG
    IMG_4806.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Hi @Spooksta, followed you from the other thread, but just realised I had already subscribed to this thread anyway!

I'll be starting my room soon, which was an internal garage that I had converted to a kids playroom about 7 years ago. Now going to convert it to a dedicated cinema room!

I'm planning a similar layout to you, two rows of seats with the back row raised. How have you found those Oscar chairs? Would you recommend them?

My only gripe.
There are 3 positions
Normal
Half extended
Fully extended
When half extended you can have your legs out stretched, but people with heavy or long legs cause the leg rest to drop a bit or alot depending how you sit.
It needs to be fully extended so your body weight stops the drop.
Ive gotten used to it and it does not bother me. For £330 for 2 its a worth while compromise.

Last edited:
Thanks, good feedback. Looks like you've had them about 6 months, are they showing any signs of wear? I'm a little concerned about the bonded leather thing!

At that price though they do seem a bargain. I fancied a couple of Sofology Dorchester 2-seat power recliners with centre console, but that would set me back over £2.5k! Is it necessary for a cinema room, I'm not sure.

How much gap have you left between the chair and the rear wall, and how much in front?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom