Garage Sound System

MachKneel

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

big time newbie round these parts but have been reading through various threads and love the content.

I am planning to build a 7m L x 5m W Steel frame garage for general hobbying/ bits of gym equipment etc.

I do want to put in a sound system that I can hook up to my phone (Spotify) and something that I can switch over to the TV for when (if) I am on the treadmill etc.

What would be the best way to go about this?

Thanks for any pointers folks,

John

Maybe something like this: Marantz NR 1509 Silver Gold 5.5 Channel Ultra Slim AV: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics one of the previous generations of AVRs with Bluetooth and Airplay.

You could wire up full 5.1 to give you plenty of spread of sound, but run it in Dual Stereo for music to fill the space with audio. A set of speakers - Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Speaker Package Black This wold be fine would be easy to mount out of the way and give you a nice full range sound.

Of course, it all depends on budget! You could do something with a sound bar and an aux cable for your phone for about £80, so there's a fair price range to think about.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I would think that ease of use is an important factor here so I'd suggest an all-in-one approach with remote control. I'm assuming you will connect your mobile via bluetooth and your TV sound output via a wired optical connector. There are plenty of single-box bluetooth 'stereo' speakers that will be far too small to give good sound in your reasonably large space. How about something like these well-reviewed Edifiers:

Too small to fill the entire garage space with sound but depends on the sound you're after and where you intend to position them. They will give high quality sound though.

More able to fill the space would be these:

If you plan to really push the volume, I'd suggest something even larger (possibly PA or DJ speakers) but choice of all-in-one designs becomes limited and you may need a large powered passive or active powered speaker (of which there are many) connected to a bluetooth receiver box. A separate DAC may also be required for the TV's optical output unless this is built-in to the receiver box. You would need to give thought to switching between sources with this approach though.
A suggestion:

Here’s an idea.

These are about a third or so of their original price and will happily fill your garage, even at gym level sound.

Priced singly.

These, for preamp,to active speakers,

These for the telly to preamp.

Add one of these for Bluetooth, telly and preamp and you’re off...

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate it.

To be honest I have only budgeted About £700-800 for electrical and sound etc. I was an electrician previously so I can install everything and keep costs down for labour.

Will look for advice on CCTV down the line too but would to be able to run the CCTV off of the TV too.

About £330 for the hifi abouve which would leave you around £400 for a gym worthy big screen from Richer Sounds :smashin:

Or, push the budget a bit and treat yourself.

About £330 for the hifi abouve which would leave you around £400 for a gym worthy big screen from Richer Sounds :smashin:

Have to admit, financially I am highly interested in your suggestion. The other ones look insane also though...so many options 😂 straight to richer sounds I go go....,

Might as well get awesome stuff. It’s not that expensive to do so these days.

At least, it’s only fractionally more expensive than ordinary stuff.

We live in exceptionally good quality, low price entertainment times.

Might as well get awesome stuff. It’s not that expensive to do so these days.

At least, it’s only fractionally more expensive than ordinary stuff.

We live in exceptionally good quality and low price entertainment times.

True.

I want to kit out the garage with as many tech options as I can within reason, still doing loads of research.

Then I will move on to living room 😂

Best of luck sir.

It’s all great fun, really.

But the options are very many indeed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom