Gemini Man 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

As you said, an interesting debate. I would suggest that the amount of unconscious movement one's eyes have to do watching a Movie is quite a factor.
For example, there is a scene at the beginning of The Last Jedi where there is a long, fairly slow, right to left pan where I particularly notice the Judder.
We have an LG B7 55" & the viewing distance is just under 3 meters, so the eyes have to move very little to take in everything. On seeing this scene again at the Cinema, the judder was there but I really only picked up on it because I was "waiting" for it & so my eyes were not darting about. But normally your eyes are bouncing all over the place on a big screen like that, so you don't stay with the pan.
I can't stand watching a Movie on a TV set to "full soap opera", but I am really interested to see a Movie where it is purposefully filmed at this higher frame rate.

I agree, interpolation set to full is horrific. But I do believe setting it to 1 - 3 out of 10 can reduce noticeable judder while not introducing the soap opera effect. Each to their own though of course!

Real life isn't juddery.
Yes it is,
Oh no it isn't! :) If it pan my head at various speeds I see no judder, just blur. I haven't seen Gemini Man yet but re watched Billy Lynn the other week to remind myself what 60fps looked like. Unfortunately I thought that was a crap film so I'm interested to see what this is like.

As a movie its absolutely diabolical. Simply dreadful. Couldn't wait for it to end. Wish it had never begun.
Smith could be about to enter the dreaded straight to video club unless he wakes up and starts to make decent movies again
Considering this was sandwiched between Aladdin & Bad Boys 3 I’d say he’s doing just fine.

You're conflating artistic intent with a technical and financial limitation. 60fps does not prohibit shooting a film in a stylistic way.

24fps isn't smooth, and pans on a screen with a fast pixel response, like an OLED at such a low frame rate look pretty awful.

In the world of video games higher frame rates have always been desirable, hence we're now seeing PC displays capable of 300fps. Movies will follow.

Like Simon said in his review,its like watching somebody playing an video game,that exactly how it felt to me watching it,not for me,plus video games your interacting,so high frame rates can be better.

:)

Oh no it isn't! :) If it pan my head at various speeds I see no judder, just blur. I haven't seen Gemini Man yet but re watched Billy Lynn the other week to remind myself what 60fps looked like. Unfortunately I thought that was a crap film so I'm interested to see what this is like.

Crap the movie,i did say when your running fast,and to be honest i don't get much judder on my TV.

:)

It looks weird and surreal to my eyes.

I'm sure someone will make a great looking movie in 60 fps but this isn't it.

My copy arrived today really just curious to see how a 60fps 4K HDR UHD Bluray looked, not watched the whole film yet but its visually stunning but the movement looks really weird to my eyes

8, say what???, if you movie was only 5 I cant help feeling that a great picture and sound can only add 1 or two points to an overall figure, if the movie is so bad it only gets a 5 I dont think its fair for it to get an 8 overall regardless off the rest.

Cant wait for your Cats review....
I agree. The way the overall score is calculated means very few films will score lower than 6. Including the picture and sound quality is like putting lipstick on a pig. It’s still a pig no matter how much you dress it up.

If the Movie score is 5 then the Overall score should also be 5. Maybe that way it would be easier to spot the good from the mediocre.

Can confirm. New demo disc material. Bitrate gets into triple-digit territory very regularly, though I suspect that the transfer to UHD disc had to be compressed more than usual, as the bitrate didn't quite seem double what a good, native 4K/24fps/1.85:1 transfer would output. I would love to see a more technically-minded-and-assisted analysis into that.

I need to watch the film a couple of times to come to terms with the HFR I think; sometimes I feel really taken out of the film, like it's so realistic that I can't suspend my disbelief. Other times I'm mesmerised - during character closeups, the extra detail present within characters' faces when they deliver their lines, helps further draw you into what they're saying & how. I do (sadly?) suspect that HFR has a bigger future, once filmmakers learn how to better use the technology.

Terrible story etc. though!

Last edited:
If the Movie score is 5 then the Overall score should also be 5. Maybe that way it would be easier to spot the good from the mediocre.
Given the name of this forum, I respectfully disagree on the basis that we're predisposed to be more interested in the A/V aspects of a home video release than the average punter.

Yes it is,you try running fast and keeping everything around you in exact motion,plus movie are not always about seeing things in real life,director have artistic reason.
It's a bit like saying Vincent Van Gogh painting did not look like real life,in his time,but in time,everybody will be painted in real life.
Or when they upgraded Saving Private Ryan,lets cut out all those blurry scenes on the beach,thats not like real life.
And cinematographer don't DOF,or long telephoto and wide angle lens,as it not real life

:(

If you have jerky eyesight then you seriously need to see a doctor. There is no frame rare to the human eye. At high speed things just get blurry, not jerky.

I don't get why people are so hung up on 24fps. It's just what we're all used to, there's nothing special or magical about it. It's a fairly arbitrary number chosen for economic and historical reasons. If movies were invented today the frame rate would be vastly higher because 24fps is an incredibly low, very unrealistic frame rate. Pans look horrible, truly horrible.

I'm sure some people didn't like talkies or colour either. This is progress. Each step brings movies higher and higher levels of immersion and realism.

Bring it on.

If you have jerky eyesight then you seriously need to see a doctor. There is no frame rare to the human eye. At high speed things just get blurry, not jerky.

I don't get why people are so hung up on 24fps. It's just what we're all used to, there's nothing special or magical about it. It's a fairly arbitrary number chosen for economic and historical reasons. If movies were invented today the frame rate would be vastly higher because 24fps is an incredibly low, very unrealistic frame rate. Pans look horrible, truly horrible.

I'm sure some people didn't like talkies or colour either. This is progress. Each step brings movies higher and higher levels of immersion and realism.

Bring it on.

Sorry but the only way your going to get higher level immersion and realism,is smell a vision.

Given the name of this forum, I respectfully disagree on the basis that we're predisposed to be more interested in the A/V aspects of a home video release than the average punter.
I also respectfully disagree. The most important score for a film is how good it is. By all means score the technical side of it but those scores should carry less weight. Look through AVF film scores. Rarely is anything less than 7. Hardly a way to find quality films.

Esp with the cost of UHD discs. £25 for Gemini man. I didn't even get half way through it was so bad.

Esp with the cost of UHD discs. £25 for Gemini man. I didn't even get half way through it was so bad.
When we first got our LG B7, I spent a lot of money upgrading the DVD & Blu Ray collection. But now I generally rent fils from VideoBuster or on iTunes. Not so many purchases these days.

I'm most interested more in the fact that when I get around to watching this (As a rental) this will be, I believe, the first 4K Disk I watch running at 60fps

'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' is the only other movie released in 4K UHD HDR 60 fps. Which was also directed by Ang Lee.

Just like 'Gemini Man', the 60 fps video is hyper-real, and jarringly awful to watch. It's not film-like at all. The video quality of both movies is amazingly life-like, which makes it utterly unwatchable!

I watched the first 10 mins of 'Gemini Man' last night and that's all I could manage. First reaction when I show friends is “Wow - that's amazing. What's wrong with it?!?”.

It's fair to say High Frame Rate for movies is a failure. Good for documentaries and other content, but not movies.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
Watching this now on my AF8. 'Woah'...feels like I'm watching Home & Away in 8k.

Stunned and appalled in equal measure...

Edit: Half an hour in, I think the fundamental issue with this is that, ultimately, all I'm conscious of is that I'm watching people acting. It's plain awkward...

Last edited:
Action film with Will Smith..by Ang Lee.. Had not seen the trailer so was looking forward to it...

I really wanted to enjoy it.. But every time I thought this was going somewhere... It just got worse and I slowly got bored.
At least I knew what I was getting with 6 underground... So 5/10 seems about right for this... Such a shame.

Regardless of the tech bits i thought the film was entertaining and easy going which sometimes is quite refreshing.

'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' is the only other movie released in 4K UHD HDR 60 fps. Which was also directed by Ang Lee.

Just like 'Gemini Man', the 60 fps video is hyper-real, and jarring awful to watch. It's not film-like at all. The video quality of both movies is amazingly life-like, which makes it utterly unwatchable!

I watched the first 10 mins of 'Gemini Man' last night and that's all I could manage. First reaction when I show friends is “Wow - that's amazing. What's wrong with it?!?”.

It's fair to say High Frame Rate for movies is a failure. Good for documentaries and other content, but not movies.

Regards,
James.

I'd love to have seen your reaction when colour was introduced. You'd have gone ballistic.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom