• Greens

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • DUP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But then by your same logic you also see a tiny tiny proportion of the kids today. How can one argument stand the other doesn't if you go on that stance?

because all those things didn’t exist until very recently. They are a direct consequence of the snowflake generation - not my observations.

In addition, if you read the likes of Jonathan Haidt etc. they have done the research.

The OK Boomer meme was made for this forum lmao
No the difference is when we were young many of us appreciated that older & wiser people could give you good advice or pointers on how to live your life, and still had respect for that life experience.

Many of todays young just seem to think due to better education & peer connections they all know better and can completely ignore the advise/experience (in this country anyway). In my experience after a few years of trying to live their way they come back asking for advice and support and this time start listening.

Last edited:
Boomer is a state of mind.

no it’s not. It’s a meme directed at baby boomer generation. That’s an age thing then.

its also another example of cancel culture and the shutting down of “incorrect” and “heretical” views.

Boomer means seeing sense IMO

I was born in 67 so supposedly Generation X if I have to have a silly tag.

Which Generation are You?
Generation Name
Births
Start
Births
End
Youngest
Age Today*
Oldest Age
Today*
The Lost Generation
The Generation of 1914
1890​
1915​
104​
129​
The Interbellum Generation
1901​
1913​
106​
118​
The Greatest Generation
1910​
1924​
95​
109​
The Silent Generation
1925​
1945​
74​
94​
Baby Boomer Generation
1946​
1964​
55​
73​
Generation X (Baby Bust)
1965​
1979​
40​
54​
Xennials
1975​
1985​
34​
44​
Millennials
Generation Y, Gen Next
1980​
1994​
25​
39​
iGen / Gen Z
1995​
2012​
7​
24​
Gen Alpha
2013​
2025​
1​
6​

(*age if still alive today)

It’s not a debt as such. This topic has been heavily misrepresented. If you want more info. I would read the above - no one is knocking on doors demanding money back.

in addition, much of the world (particularly in the US) laughs at us when it comes to how little we pay for higher education but keep banging on about it.

You still have to pay it back though with interest. yes it is pre-tax and only £16k a year but it is still debt. My Uni debt took until I was 30 to pay back and I was on a pretty decent wage. I know people who have come out at uni and aren't even half way through their debt yet.

I have worked since I was 13, full time since I was 17 and run my own place since I was 18. At one point I was supporting 3 members of my family in a flat on less than living wage, working full time and while studying full time as well.

I didn't go on elaborate holidays, I bought my first car when I was 24 which was 11 years old. I bought my own house at 25. I didn't buy luxuries. It took myself and my partner to save up for our 10% deposit and both of us were on reasonably decent wages but we still had to go and stay with her parents while we saved because rent, council tax and general living expenses was so high in rented accommodation it would mean we were looking at around 10+ years worth of saving without anything else because we could save enough.

So please don't bullshit me with the "snowflake" generation. We aren't in the privileged position of other older generations who were offer 100%+ valuation mortgages.

You still have to pay it back though with interest. yes it is pre-tax and only £16k a year but it is still debt. My Uni debt took until I was 30 to pay back and I was on a pretty decent wage. I know people who have come out at uni and aren't even half way through their debt yet.

I have worked since I was 13, full time since I was 17 and run my own place since I was 18. At one point I was supporting 3 members of my family in a flat on less than living wage, working full time and while studying full time as well.

I didn't go on elaborate holidays, I bought my first car when I was 24 which was 11 years old. I bought my own house at 25. I didn't buy luxuries. It took myself and my partner to save up for our 10% deposit and both of us were on reasonably decent wages but we still had to go and stay with her parents while we saved because rent, council tax and general living expenses was so high in rented accommodation it would mean we were looking at around 10+ years worth of saving without anything else because we could save enough.

So please don't bullsh*t me with the "snowflake" generation. We aren't in the privileged position of other older generations who were offer 100%+ valuation mortgages.

I only had at best 5% Deposit on mortgages, no 100%'s when I was buying or help to buy or ISA's with government top ups. Also, 25 year was the max duration you could have and only 3x your income which you had to have a bank interview for.

Public transport (bus) was really cheap :smashin:

So please don't bullsh*t me with the "snowflake" generation. We aren't in the privileged position of other older generations who were offer 100%+ valuation mortgages.

Exactly.

My father supported a family of 4 on his single wage as a Postman. Owned his own home (£3000) and car.

If posters here are telling me that any kid today can do that if they just lay off the Avocado Toast and Starbucks, I'm calling them ignorant.

As you showed, it is possible for millennials to succeed but the price for that success is so much higher than it ever was. You have to work harder, save longer, sacrifice more, shoulder more debt, take more responsibility. Then while you're doing that, the boomers are telling you you're lazy, and you haven't done as well as they did, and giving hopelessly deluded out of date advice.

Sounds like you want a medal for working hard, borrowing money then having to pay it back?

So please don't bullsh*t me with the "snowflake" generation.

doesn’t sound like you are young enough.

nothing else in your post stops Gen-Z from being Snowflakes in general.

Re: Student debt. Far too many kids go to Uni that shouldn’t be there. They come out with BS degrees and little earning potential above not going to Uni.

I only had at best 5% Deposit on mortgages, no 100%'s when I was buying or help to buy or ISA's with government top ups.

I had no option either. Only option I had was 10% 30 years high interest rate 2 year fixed term. Now I have capital against it I have now cut it down by 10 years as I have been sensible with my cash but people saying it is hard because young people piss their money against a wall is bullshit. Only luxury I bought during my uni ways was a powerful laptop but that is because I have a Game Dev and AI grad and needed something to work with at home so it wasn't even a non-essential.

Exactly.

My father supported a family of 4 on his single wage as a Postman. Owned his own home (£3000) and car.

If posters here are telling me that any kid today can do that if they just lay off the Avocado Toast and Starbucks, I'm calling them ignorant.

As you showed, it is possible for millennials to succeed but the price for that success is so much higher than it ever was. You have to work harder, save longer, sacrifice more, shoulder more debt, take more responsibility. Then while you're doing that, the boomers are telling you you're lazy, and you haven't done as well as they did, and giving hopelessly deluded out of date advice.

Comments like this make me laugh, even school kids walking around with £1K Iphones now...brings tears to my eyes. 😭

Re: Student debt. Far too many kids go to Uni that shouldn’t be there. They come out with BS degrees and little earning potential above not going to Uni.

I agree but we are in a time when jobs require you to have degrees. In my industry they won't even read your CV if your application doesn't at minimum 4 years honours degree on it, sometimes they even specify you have to have went to a select list of expensive universities.

Exactly.

We have 3 under 25yo Maths Graduates all living in rental that have salaries above £25K. If they still lived at home or in a multi-share rent for a couple of years and laid off the new cars & holiday they could all easily save a 10% deposit for a typical starter home of around £120 around here (£12K deposit). Plus unlike me they are only paying interest at 2-3% not the 15.4% I paid when my mortgage started..

Last edited:
Comments like this make me laugh, even school kids walking around with £1K Iphones now...brings tears to my eyes. 😭

Not sure what that has to do with anything. Those phones will be on contract paid for by parents. There's a whole other discussion to be had over that crazy parenting decision, but it has no relevance toward that child's ability to obtain the same lifestyle as previous generations.

I agree but we are in a time when jobs require you to have degrees. In my industry they won't even read your CV if your application doesn't at minimum 4 years honours degree on it, sometimes they even specify you have to have went to a select list of expensive universities.

And the big change from my Generation is you are competing with the World much more now than we did. Its not the fault of the Boomers/X's like many young like to blame.

Blame globalisation and the poor countries starting to rise up. Blame the EU allowing companies for transferring the jobs to eastern Europe! (obviously other poor countries too).

Last edited:
As you showed, it is possible for millennials to succeed but the price for that success is so much higher than it ever was. You have to work harder, save longer, sacrifice more, shoulder more debt, take more responsibility.

That’s just not true.

the price for success has always been proportionally high for the time you are in.

no one is denigrating anyone’s individual experience, but we have to look at the bigger picture of the generation and stop using the extremes to define.

I say that middle of the bell curve drops you into the intersectional, woke, trigger warning, space needing - snowflake. The research suggests this also. I also think it’s a lot to do with the parents.

if we use the extreme ends then shall we balance @phoenixknight88 with my complete opposite experience of working hard yes but by luck and judgement not having any real hardships.

I had no option either. Only option I had was 10% 30 years high interest rate 2 year fixed term. Now I have capital against it I have now cut it down by 10 years as I have been sensible with my cash but people saying it is hard because young people piss their money against a wall is bullsh*t. Only luxury I bought during my uni ways was a powerful laptop but that is because I have a Game Dev and AI grad and needed something to work with at home so it wasn't even a non-essential.

Just because you didn't doesn't mean many don't.

When I was fortunate my Tracker mortgage dropped to 0.5% for last 10 years did I live it up with flash cars/holidays or reduce my payment? No, I paid over double my normal payment to clear my Mortgage 7 years early.

You only have to pay anything back if you earn over a certain wage. Although it continues to accrue interest. Many people will never pay it all off, but it is wiped out after 30 years. I think the Government of the day is going to have a nasty shock when that 30 year limit starts kicking in and they realise how out of pocket they are.

Not sure what that has to do with anything. Those phones will be on contract paid for by parents. There's a whole other discussion to be had over that crazy parenting decision, but it has no relevance toward that child's ability to obtain the same lifestyle as previous generations.

Here's an example.

I am well paid (for my area & part of the country) with own home & no debts and use a 2 yo 2nd hand phone that a pay £6/month for a monthly rolling SIM (plenty of allowance, 4GB Data). Also have a £9.99/month Netflix sub.

My daughter & her partner. He is a low paid Chef in council rental with a £80/month phone and £100/month Sky package and daughter has a £60/month contract

People can live money wise.

Last edited:
You only have to pay anything back if you earn over a certain wage. Although it continues to accrue interest. Many people will never pay it all off, but it is wiped out after 30 years. I think the Government of the day is going to have a nasty shock when that 30 year limit starts kicking in and they realise how out of pocket they are.

How are they out of pocket? - Uni education was free before so anything they get back is a bonus.

Exactly.

You have to work harder, save longer, sacrifice more, shoulder more debt, take more responsibility.

Might be true in London and other big city centres. You can move and live & work elsewhere.

I do feel sorry for normal people that live in London. Maybe double wages but quadruple+ house prices plus commuting costs. Get out I say, far nicer places outside.

How are they out of pocket? - Uni education was free before so anything they get back is a bonus.
But when it was free there weren't so many in HE and not so many HE institutions

Its never been free. Either the student pays it or all the tax payers pay it. Its only fair that those that will benefit from hopefully a higher wage contribute. The current system should have a charge IMO but lower than the current levels and preferential interest rates. Should also go back to those with decent grades (A,B,C) only getting option for uni at all like it used to be.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom