General Movie talk

Healthy stats. Although we also continued to increase in streaming services usage too.
The other year reports were saying people were staying in more due to austerity measures etc. and favouring TV and booze indoors. Does this increased cinema usage represent an upturn in prosperity, as the Tories would present it, and rise in going out for films...and booze?!

I see that Cineworld are rolling out more VIP suites whilst Odeon have their Gallery Luxe and Curzon plus Everyman have opened up new venues in my neck of the woods in recent years, to compete with local indies which have cocktail tables; so it would seem that making a night of it at the movies is becoming more popular with the bourgeoisie again...

upload_2019-1-25_18-49-31.jpeg

upload_2019-1-25_18-44-9.jpeg

I see that Cineworld are rolling out more VIP suites whilst Odeon have their Gallery Luxe and Curzon plus Everyman have opened up new venues in my neck of the woods in recent years, to compete with local indies which have cocktail tables; so it would seem that making a night of it at the movies is becoming more popular with the bourgeoisie again...

What a bizarre concept.

So you have chairs not even facing the screen. People talking and chatting etc throughout the movie.

You either are going out to watch a movie, then a dinner/bar etc. Not both at the same time.

What a bizarre concept.

So you have chairs not even facing the screen. People talking and chatting etc throughout the movie.

You either are going out to watch a movie, then a dinner/bar etc. Not both at the same time.

The chairs swivel around for people to watch the film! However the audience tend to gather before the movie and loiter afterwards to ruminate about what they’ve watched, which is when the cocktail tables come into use.

Probably helps that there are plenty of film buffs in the area, what with the BFI National Archive being just up the road plus Warner Bros Studios is only a short drive away in Leavesden.

BBC - British Film Institute National Archive in Berkhamsted

I watched the 70mm print of 2001 A Space Odyssey at the Rex last year and there was reverential silence throughout the screening. Can’t recall anyone nattering during a film in any of my visits to local indie cinemas, even though most films play to packed houses; unlike the multiplexes where I always try to sit a few seats away from other groups, as invariably someone who needs to use their phone during the film :thumbsdow

The chairs swivel around for people to watch the film! However the audience tend to gather before the movie and loiter afterwards to ruminate about what they’ve watched, which is when the cocktail tables come into use.

Probably helps that there are plenty of film buffs in the area, what with the BFI National Archive being just up the road plus Warner Bros Studios is only a short drive away in Leavesden.

BBC - British Film Institute National Archive in Berkhamsted

I watched the 70mm print of 2001 A Space Odyssey at the Rex last year and there was reverential silence throughout the screening. Can’t recall anyone nattering during a film in any of my visits to local indie cinemas, even though most films play to packed houses; unlike the multiplexes where I always try to sit a few seats away from other groups, as invariably someone who needs to use their phone during the film :thumbsdow

Yes I can see the chairs swivel, and I imagine in an ideal world that would all be superb. Discuss before and after, silence during, but it only takes one group and the experience is ruined.

Apollo 11 (2019) This looks stunning and definitely more like it especially after the pretty dreadful and very sour-faced First Man.

Wowzas. Real life footage of this on the big screen. :eek:

Sold:clap:

Yeah so where the fudge is Dredd 2 then!?

Thankfully Cineworld have invested in modern multiplexes in my neck of the woods, as my local Odeon fleapit hasn’t had a refurb since it opened at the turn of the century but still charges £13 for new releases o_O no wonder so many people in my hometown just watch movies at home.

Hollywood Had a Record Year, So Why Is Europe's Box Office Down?
With theatrical revenue off across all major markets on the continent, Netflix is the obvious culprit, but insiders say aging theaters (no air conditioning in Italy?) are a major factor.

If you've ever wanted a disaster movie about the Earth crashing into Jupiter, the Chinese have got you covered:

The bloke taking on Jupiter with a Gatling gun :D Amazing.

If you've ever wanted a disaster movie about the Earth crashing into Jupiter, the Chinese have got you covered:

The bloke taking on Jupiter with a Gatling gun :D Amazing.

Makes Armageddon look like a documentary. :D

stick an English dub on it (it wouldn't even have to be done that well) and I could quite happily watch the heck out of that one. I don't mind subtitles at all but for something like this they'd just subconsciously make me take it far too seriously for it's own good

stick an English dub on it (it wouldn't even have to be done that well) and I could quite happily watch the heck out of that one. I don't mind subtitles at all but for something like this they'd just subconsciously make me take it far too seriously for it's own good

I watched 'Wolf Warrior 2' with subtitles last year & very quickly got caught up in the mayhem. It'd be right up your street actually, as it's essentially Chinese Rambo.

I watched 'Wolf Warrior 2' with subtitles last year & very quickly got caught up in the mayhem. It'd be right up your street actually, as it's essentially Chinese Rambo.

I see it's on youtube so I'll try and fit it in some time soon. I had a quick skim through and it does look like my kind of thing. Thanks for that recommendation :smashin:

Sony Launches Branded Premium Large-Format Theater System
Sony Electronics is launching a Sony-branded premium large-format theatrical system, which will effectively compete with the likes of Imax, Dolby Cinema and theater-branded PLF auditoriums.

The Sony Digital Cinema offing includes Sony laser projection with support for 4K and high dynamic range images, Dolby Atmos sound, and reclining seats. If purchased, the projection and sound systems represent an investment upward of $1 million, though Sony declined to comment on the business arrangement with the theaters.

upload_2019-2-14_0-28-21.jpeg

NECA's “Guillermo del Toro Signature Series,” a line of action figures inspired by del Toro’s best films.

The Amphibian Man from ‘The Shape of Water’

neca3.jpg
neca2.jpg
neca1.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom