Getting an old Mac Pro working

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been given an old Mac Pro which by all accounts has nothing wrong with it, however it has no hard drives.
That’s no problem as I have a couple of spare ssd drives I can use. However how do I get an operating system on it I’d I don’t have a Mac upon which to download it ?

it is, I believe a 2012 model, not hundred percent sure, but does not seem to have any form of “recovery” mode.
Any help appreciated

Maybe try getting a copy of OS on disc?

You might be able to get an older version that way as all recent updates have been as free downloads.

Maybe try getting a copy of OS on disc?

You might be able to get an older version that way as all recent updates have been as free downloads.

Cheers
How do I boot from disc. it has an optical drive but In true slimline Apple fashion it has no eject button that if I got w disc I could use one

what is the safest os I can go for ?

It’s actually a 2008 model from what can tell
3ghz 8 core

Cheers.
how do I open the DVD drive to put disc in. Unless I’m missing something there is no physical button

As far as I know it is slot loading, so power up the macbook, insert the DVD and the superdrive will grab the DVD the rest of the way, (or simply buy a USB stick with Snow Leopard)

It’s a Mac Pro, desktop unit, so it’s a tray / unit at top of the “tower”

At 3Ghz it's likely the desktop mac pro, not the macbook pro.

Is there an eject button on the keyboard?

At 3Ghz it's likely the desktop mac pro, not the macbook pro.

Is there an eject button on the keyboard?

its not got an Apple keyboard, just a standard one so has windows key not command. I’m guessing it may be a combined command maybe

On my Pro I use the Apple Keyboard to 'eject' / 'open the tray'. Mine is slightly old. If you don't want to get a Mac keyboard then try F12. Iirc that should do the trick.

Not of use to you as you don't have another Mac, but you can actually during boot up remotely access the CD/DVD of another Mac ;) And even do an install via a remote terminal if you don't have a screen.

Cheers. I shall try f12. Thanks very much.
determined to get it working just to say I did

Cheers. I shall try f12. Thanks very much.
determined to get it working just to say I did
Yup that is the fun part :)

Let me know if you need an older version of OSX. I think I've got them all going back to Mac OS 7...Still go an old Yosemite G3 up on the loft somewhere...

From memory its just a standard dvd drive behind that wee flap, so can you move the flap down and put a paperclip in to the little hole on the front of the unit - this should let you push the tray out manually?

It's probably easier if you can source a USB drive (from the famous auction site) with pre-installed, compatible OSes and then take it from there. The latest OS this 2008 cMP can use is El Capitan (v10.11).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom