Ghost broke TV?

Cj515

Standard Member
Reaction score
So my gf and I break up Friday night, we live together. TV works fine Friday, I sleep on the couch, no big deal, TV works great. I'm gone Saturday and don't watch it on Saturday, turn it on on Sunday and look at the pic attached here. What does it look like happened? Nobody else(her) seems to know here what happened. I can only assume it was a ghost. I'll hang up and listen and catch up tomorrow.
20180819_134535.jpg

Samsung 75" 4k 8000 series, 6 months old .

Definitely, radiating cracks at two points.

Ouch. Definitely impact in two points to the panel.

So what you are saying your ex is a ghost then ;)

As per others, two impact points either thrown or punched\pushed which has damaged part of the panel. If there is any obvious damage to front of the screen or is it a sub layer that has gone ?

No obvious damage to the front of the screen. It's the next layer or layers.

It seems to me like something was thrown at it twice. Looking for other opinions from possibly some av professionals .

No obvious damage to the front of the screen. It's the next layer or layers.

It seems to me like something was thrown at it twice. Looking for other opinions from possibly some av professionals .

So how do you know the rest of us are not AV professionals ;)

It's really limited to only a few causes

1) Physical damage - e.g. knuckle or something that can give a point pressure enough to break the screen underlying component to break but not leave a mark
2) A screen failure itself - could happen but rare
3) A component underneath the screen that has happened to fail at the same time in two places - possible but you would see reports of it on the Interweb

How old is the TV?

Unfortunately if it looks like fish and smells like fish it probably is fish.

It looks like physical damage and therefore will probably been seen as much. Even claiming under the Consumer Rights Act would be challenging as they could say you damaged it and therefore their liability is waved.

It is most likely an insurance job....

Last edited:
Call out someone from Richer Sound and they will give you a professional opinion. Do you have content insurance with accident cover?

So how do you know the rest of us are not AV professionals ;)

It's really limited to only a few causes

1) Physical damage - e.g. knuckle or something that can give a point pressure enough to break the screen underlying component to break but not leave a mark
2) A screen failure itself - could happen but rare
3) A component underneath the screen that has happened to fail at the same time in two places - possible but you would see reports of it on the Interweb

How old is the TV?

Unfortunately if it looks like fish and smells like fish it probably is fish.

It looks like physical damage and therefore will probably been seen as much. Even claiming under the Consumer Rights Act would be challenging as they could say you damaged it and therefore there liability is waved.

It is most likely an insurance job....

No doubt!

How could a screen failure cause radiating fractures in two separate places?

I don't know who is an av professional or not. Just said that bc they might have seen similar damage from someone saying their tv had an impact (or two impacts). That's definitely what it looks like to me but the ghost did it apparently. Maybe I need a excorcism before I buy a new TV. Not sure if the house or my ex needs the excorcism at this point, although I'm leaning in one direction.

Fair point.

round here, we call ghosts that throw things, "poltergeists." Because it definitely looks to me like something hit that screen twice.

your ex has definitely went ham on it when you weren’t in on saturday, it’s pretty obvious it’s been hit.

A bit harsh to do that tbh! regardless of how heated things got, no need for that s**t.

Call out someone from Richer Sound and they will give you a professional opinion. Do you have content insurance with accident cover?
Accident cover? Unlikely to pay up.

You could threaten her with a report to the cops if she doesn't pay up - criminal damage and all that, but they'd probably say it's a civil matter and you probably don't want to involve them (as *anything* she said/made up WOULD be believed).

I'd be changing the locks asap if you haven't already...

High heel shoe perhaps?

Deduct the cost from any financial settlement/joint account.

Does the remote control length match up with the distance between the impact epicentres?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom