Ghost Recon: Breakpoint (PS4)

Ubisoft have sent me a beta code for 5th-8th September if anyone wants it? Says it can be redeemed on 'your console of choice'.

(Me and my three regular Wildlands teammates are all waiting for the full release).

Ubisoft have sent me a beta code for 5th-8th September if anyone wants it? Says it can be redeemed on 'your console of choice'.

(Me and my three regular Wildlands teammates are all waiting for the full release).

If it's still going begging i'll take a look :smashin:
If the code's already gone no worries, thanks for offering.
:)

If anyone can test the stealth mechanics it'd be appreciated please :smashin: specifically things like:
- are there still hard distances for silencers
- "loudness" and walls
- related to above, pulling enemies 1-by-1 thru walls
- omniscient and omnipresent equivalent of Unidad
- all enemies fitted with night-vision and thermal eyeballs

and so on.

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts on this.

I did not like Wildlands at all, but always been a big Ghost Recon fan. Although Ubi seem to have dropped the ball a bit recently, The Division 2 was a massive letdown as well.

Fingers crossed. I like some good co-op gameplay.

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts on this.

I did not like Wildlands at all, but always been a big Ghost Recon fan. Although Ubi seem to have dropped the ball a bit recently, The Division 2 was a massive letdown as well.

Fingers crossed. I like some good co-op gameplay.
This isn't clicking for me at all, I doubt I will even buy it in a future sale. I uninstalled the beta with less than 30 minutes played, another huge but boring game with repeating missions and collectables. A special forces unit walking around a map collecting plants and broken tea cups that once belonged to Betty the local wasp whisperer.

The only mission I did had me going to a base to hack a laptop, the base was big and crawling with soldiers. The laptop was on a concrete slab on the roof of a building out in the open, once the laptop was hacked I had to defend it. Every 30 seconds over a 2 minute period it spawned a helicopter in the same place which then flew around the base shooting at me.

First off, a thank you to @millerlfc for the key :smashin:

I'd echo @DAZ UK 74 thoughts - it's a bit like you're at center parcs and bandits have made a hostile takeover. You can if you choose shoot some of the bandits or you can do the easter egg hunt and wander the parc looking for lootz just because: Destiny.

It's a shame because when i first started the beta, the early engagements felt a bit like the earliest GRecon games i played back on the OG Xbox. However repeat encounters showed that tangos still had all the complexity of OG Xbox A.I. and i quickly got to thinking what's the point?

Well cheers guys for the thoughts. Confirming my fears somewhat that this won't be any better than Wildlands.

Disappointed with Ubi's shooter output these days. I'll keep an eye on this thread anyway for more opinions.

Is the Beta live?

Well cheers guys for the thoughts. Confirming my fears somewhat that this won't be any better than Wildlands.

Disappointed with Ubi's shooter output these days. I'll keep an eye on this thread anyway for more opinions.
I've just finished splinter cell blacklist. What a game. Ubisoft used to be very good before the one engine fits all approach. Has better graphics than this GR too.

I've just finished splinter cell blacklist. What a game. Ubisoft used to be very good before the one engine fits all approach. Has better graphics than this GR too.

Blacklist was one of their best. Excellent co-op as well.

Their output now is beginning to resemble COD. In that it's just repeating release on release, and (in my opinion) slowly getting worse each time.

Not been impressed with anything I've seen with this. Very likely going to be a pass.

Blacklist was one of their best. Excellent co-op as well.

Their output now is beginning to resemble COD. In that it's just repeating release on release, and (in my opinion) slowly getting worse each time.

Not been impressed with anything I've seen with this. Very likely going to be a pass.
Picked up conviction for £2, it's no blacklist but it's OK. Miss these type of games, like mgs without the self indulgent B.S.
Think I might take a punt on GR, can always sell it on for a small loss.

Yeah i'll skip this I think o_O

Oh dear. I'm out.

I loved Wildland, its best with mates, but i hated the Breakpoint Beta, so i'm out too, Mordern Warfare looks great though.

1569863301482.png

Last edited:
I played the alpha and the beta of this on 2 different systems (alpha on XB1X and the beta on PS4 Pro) and as much as I really wanted to love it I came away extremely disappointed. Its a massive shame because I really enjoyed GR Wildlands and the world in which it was set but not so with Breakpoint. I think it starts off really well introducing you to the game and the mechanics but the moment you reach the social hub/destiny style tower for me it just becomes a convoluted mess. I ventured out to take on a couple of missions and the I think the map is poorly designed for traversal via any form of land vehicle despite there being frequent places you can pick up a motorbike or car of some kind, to be honest anyway the vehicle handling (especially the bikes) is horrendous. I carried out a couple of missions even though frustratingly always being spotted by drones, planes or choppers and then having to fend off drones or ground troops that magically appear out of nowhere. I came away wondering how old the build is for the beta, is there hope it can be in a better state upon release.

Now all these opinions (and they are only my opinions) I made before watching the video attached and after watching the video he pretty much touches upon all the issues and concerns I had and then more which make me fear for this game which is a crying shame as I was really looking forward to it but I do not like the direction they seem to pushing this game in.

edit: just noticed that @BenRC had already posted the same video whilst I was typing out my thoughts, but yes I agree, I'm out. I fear that it will be like Anthem that some of the design choices are core game mechanics and will not be able be changed ;(

The Laymen Gaming and Skill Up videos above (#40 & #41) are both the same person. The Laymen Gaming one includes his brother but they typically agree on everything.

I was out after the very first technical test, I only tried the closed beta to see how it looked graphically. They did so well with the last two Assassin's Creed games I thought this was going to be just as good, sadly it's a huge step down from Wildlands.

I played the alpha and the beta of this on 2 different systems (alpha on XB1X and the beta on PS4 Pro) and as much as I really wanted to love it I came away extremely disappointed. Its a massive shame because I really enjoyed GR Wildlands and the world in which it was set but not so with Breakpoint. I think it starts off really well introducing you to the game and the mechanics but the moment you reach the social hub/destiny style tower for me it just becomes a convoluted mess. I ventured out to take on a couple of missions and the I think the map is poorly designed for traversal via any form of land vehicle despite there being frequent places you can pick up a motorbike or car of some kind, to be honest anyway the vehicle handling (especially the bikes) is horrendous. I carried out a couple of missions even though frustratingly always being spotted by drones, planes or choppers and then having to fend off drones or ground troops that magically appear out of nowhere. I came away wondering how old the build is for the beta, is there hope it can be in a better state upon release.

Now all these opinions (and they are only my opinions) I made before watching the video attached and after watching the video he pretty much touches upon all the issues and concerns I had and then more which make me fear for this game which is a crying shame as I was really looking forward to it but I do not like the direction they seem to pushing this game in.

edit: just noticed that @BenRC had already posted the same video whilst I was typing out my thoughts, but yes I agree, I'm out. I fear that it will be like Anthem that some of the design choices are core game mechanics and will not be able be changed ;(

Sucks dunnit 😭

Right, me and three friends liked Wildlands (only played in co-op) so we're going to bite the bullet and give this a go.

Is anyone able to confirm whether in co-op mode you actually start together? Or does the campaign remain single-player up to a point where you can join others?

Well to answer my own question, no you don't start together. Can't play with others until you reach the first 'base'.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Having sunk over 50 hours into this with only 2 main missions done, 3 side missions done and 7% overall completion showing in the stats I am going to eat humble pie and take back my original comments. With the time I've put in so far I couldn't not review my originally feedback.

Yes I played the alpha and the beta and had my reservations and concerns about this game, some of which SkillUp had touched on in his impressions video and I like SkillUp and always respect his views but I think him and some other channels have been overly harsh on this game now I've sunk so many hours into it.

I ever so sightly stand by what I said in the fact that it completely put me off pre-ordering it, normally I'd be over a game like this and ensure I've got it for release day to get stuck in but on release day I watch 2 or 3 streamers I religiously follow and who generally like the same kind of games that I do and they were really enjoying it despite some minor quirks and it being a tad rough around the edges. From watching them play and with the gameplay I saw I caved and ordered it soon after.

The biggest criticism I've seen levelled at it is because of the micro transactions and the fact it feels like a micro transactions store with a game built on top of it. The thing is the MTX are completely optional ( i for one will not spend a penny of real money for MTX in this game) and I currently have over 100k of skell credits of in game currency that I have earned from completing missions, side missions, activities or just by looting crates or dead bodies. These credits can be used to buy weapons, blueprints, clothing, gear and vehicles in game and nothing is extortionately expensive in an attempt to entice us to spend real money rather than grinding out through just playing the game. I got a blueprint for a special Sniper Rifle for completing a faction mission that cost me 1400 skell credits to then buy and equip.

The world is absolutely huge and there is so much to do, main missions, side missions and faction missions which are a set of missions that rest on a daily basis and also have a time span of 65 days until a new batch of missions become available and there is also a raid tab on my missions screen. Its a typical Ubisoft came too with lots of collectibles to pick up along with 'investigations' that tell you are you can find weapon blueprints, camp locations and more. When you discover a camp you can craft, change your class on fly, prepare for battle by eating which gives you a temporary buff, buy and sell weapons and buy vehicles, you then chose to leave the camp and are given a choice of what time of day you want to do so. One gripe I do have is the inventory system needs a 'Division' style 'move to junk' option so as to make it easier to bulk sell or dismantle stuff for money or parts.

I also saw a lot of comments about the enemy Ai being a tad dumb, yes they can be at times and they make stupid comments but at the same time they are similar to The Division 2 enemies and always seem to be pushing me back. This can be made even more difficult when taking on elite enemies who aim to out number and out gun you usually resulting in my death.There is the argument that it's suffering an identity crisis and trying too hard to be like The Division with its looting and gear score etc but because I'm having so much fun on it I kinda look past that and see a lot of bang for your buck, especially as its already appearing on Amazon and in Tesco for under £30.

As I said it's not without its faults but a lot of that I forgive because of the scale and ambition of the game, truth be told I personally am having a lot of fun with it, I'm finding that for me it has this certain addictive hook that drags me back in. This is only my opinion but one that I felt I needed to express after giving it an initial bad rap, theres a lot of game to enjoy here truth be told and if you remotely enjoyed Wildlands and generally enjoy open world games, shooters, then its worth a look for the right price.

p.s I have played 3 hours of co-op within my play time too and the was a solid robust experience that was quite good, strategically picking off enemies in perfect sync was brilliant

I loved Wildlands i've got the Platinum and 100% for the main campaign and DLC, I played the various closed and open betas for Breakpoint and i hated it, i don't like the over the shoulder camera, i much prefered the 3rd person view in Wildlands.

Breakpoint looks bland and when the devs said there will be no team mates in sp i couldn't cancel my pre-order quickly enough, i guess that has changed now after the uproar on social media. Whats the deal with that weird social hub place after the first few missions it just breaks the immersion. Breakpoint will be a tenner by Christmas.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom