Google Pixel 4a

HaRd2BeAr

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
So finally the Pixel 4a has been announced - Pixel 4a

Pixel-4a-1.jpg

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S8 that's now relegated to Quarterly updates :( was looking at maybe a new Iphone 12 and jumping ship, but at £349 with 3 major updates guaranteed, this looks something of a bargain really. I don't game, just watch the odd video and browse the web/social media.

Anyone else looking at this? Only thing holding me back slightly is the rumoured 5G model, not for the 5G but the slightly more powerful processor it has onboard (Snapdragon 765G), not sure whether that's worth the rumoured extra £150 though.

I am pleased Google is re-committing to cheap handsets again with the last couple of releases, after that period of flirting with only flagship prices

My Samsung Note 4 is increasingly getting long in the tooth and really I should not be using it at all due to no security updates for years :p

I am going to think about budget Pixel versus Moto G8 Power (5000 mah battery and 3.5mm jack but lacks the photography digital processing wizardry of Google)

I like Motorola but tbh they only guarantee 1 major software update now from what I've seen? To me that's just a bit poor.

I just fancy something that gives me a little more longevity before I feel pressured to upgrade and be up to date so to speak.

Positive reviews all across the board from what I’ve seen.

I’m all over this come pre-order time-contract is up and will get this and a cheap sim only deal.

No $349. £349 is good and I know we get shafted on price but I thought it would be closer.

No $349. £349 is good and I know we get shafted on price but I thought it would be closer.

Ah, I was thinking about when the Pixel 3a launched. I know what you mean but it just is one of those things. Not a lot we can do about it. I thought it was going to be £399 so it's better thank anticipated.

Was looking at getting the 4a to replace my pixel 2 but with them announcing the 5 at the same time I don't know whether to wait and see what the specs are on that.

To be honest, we've got to wait anyway with us not getting the 4a until the start of October so there's a couple of months for more info to come out about the 5 before we can get the 4a.

If what they say is true, and google aren't doing top spec flagships to go head to head with Samsung and apple, then the pixel 5 may end up around the £600 mark and if the specs are significantly better than the 4a/5a 5g then I can see people opting for that.

What worries me about the 4a is the snapdragon processor, its great they've increased the ram and storage but I worry about the longevity of the snapdragon.

What I don't understand is, what will the 5 offer over the 4a 5G, they're saying both the 4a 5G and 5 will possibly use the Snapdragon 765G, it doesn't make sense to me. It can't have a higher resolution screen because it will end up slower than the 4a 5G?

I am going to wait a little too but the 4a does look good. With a 1080p screen I don't see the Snapdragon struggling at all. The 3a is still running okay from what people say and that's with less ram as well.

Good to see Google stepping their game up where pricing is concerned as well.

£600 is getting close to the price on last year's Samsung's on Amazon though. Google = vanilla Android and updates, but still...
Isn't it $399 in America? To be fair whatever it converts to, £349 ain't bad in my book for what it offers.
Aren't USA prices before 7.5% sales tax? But yes UK gov pockets 20% Vat and import duties and we all pay the UK premium

Does anyone know if this definitely has the Snapdragon 730 and not the Snapdragon 730G? I've seen a few sites say both 🤷‍♂️

I know not a huge difference between the 2, just interested. The Google site says Snapdragon 730, not sure if they'd just say that and leave out the G or not to keep it simple?

Just found this review where he states in the comments -
Google's original specs sheet said Snapdragon 730, but the 4a uses the 730G (which helps explain how it smashed through CoD and PubG with a perfect frame rate on max settings...)

This isn't available till October for us here in the UK. I'd been waiting to get a new phone for this 4a as my current Huawei P-Smart is starting to get really bogged down with all the updates Huawei keep pushing to it. I thought I was being patient waiting till now but I've ordered a Nord instead 🙄
Regarding prices....don't forget that the UK price includes all taxes, the US price is without sales tax.

This isn't available till October for us here in the UK. I'd been waiting to get a new phone for this 4a as my current Huawei P-Smart is starting to get really bogged down with all the updates Huawei keep pushing to it. I thought I was being patient waiting till now but I've ordered a Nord instead 🙄
Regarding prices....don't forget that the UK price includes all taxes, the US price is without sales tax.

The Nord looks interesting, the main thing putting me off is the size is a bit much for me and the pill style cut out is above my threshold. I'm sure it will be a great phone though :)

The thing I don't understand, probably because it's not important to me. In reviews they keep banging on about the lack of colour options. I always slap a case on my phone and tablets, so the colour of the back of my phone isn't a deal breaker?

The thing I don't understand, probably because it's not important to me. In reviews they keep banging on about the lack of colour options. I always slap a case on my phone and tablets, so the colour of the back of my phone isn't a deal breaker?

Same here, plain black case and screen protector are the first things that get put on. I go for the cheapest colour option, if there's a price difference of course.

The Nord looks interesting, the main thing putting me off is the size is a bit much for me and the pill style cut out is above my threshold. I'm sure it will be a great phone though :)
I've not had a full screen phone or one with a cutout before, hopefully I'll be OK with it. Better than a notch, right?

I've not had a full screen phone or one with a cutout before, hopefully I'll be OK with it. Better than a notch, right?

I'm sure once you get using it, you'll just stop noticing it. I was considering an Iphone with a notch, but this definitely appeals more.

I was considering an Iphone with a notch, but this definitely appeals more.

I've been Android since way back and couldn't move to ios as I've invested in some Apps that I'm just too tight to buy again. The notched XR is just too expensive (£629 for 64 gig, purleese!!) for me and the SE is a weird device, it's almost flagship when it comes to the processor, then *too* budget in screen size and form factor and not budget enough in price, for an iPhone there is no doubt it is cheap, but for a budget phone per se, not cheap enough.
I've never paid this much for a phone, I normally go for used ones off the classifieds here for about £200, It'll be interested to see how much I like it.

The more I think about it the more inclined I am to get the 4a on release. Not fussed about 5g at the minute as I can't use my phone in work and when I'm home it's on the WiFi.

After reading some reviews there's a chance the 4a may get 4 Android releases rather than the 3 given the delayed release.

I've been Android since way back and couldn't move to ios as I've invested in some Apps that I'm just too tight to buy again. The notched XR is just too expensive (£629 for 64 gig, purleese!!) for me and the SE is a weird device, it's almost flagship when it comes to the processor, then *too* budget in screen size and form factor and not budget enough in price, for an iPhone there is no doubt it is cheap, but for a budget phone per se, not cheap enough.
I've never paid this much for a phone, I normally go for used ones off the classifieds here for about £200, It'll be interested to see how much I like it.

Fingers crossed for you, i'm sure you'll get plenty of use out of it!

If I was going Iphone it would be the new ones yet to be released so a fair chunk more than this phone!

I currently have a Samsung S8 but i'm a bit fed up with Samsung giving us the weaker, less efficient Exynos processor in their high end models. I want a relatively pure experience that will be supported for at least a couple of years.

Fingers crossed for you, i'm sure you'll get plenty of use out of it!

If I was going Iphone it would be the new ones yet to be released so a fair chunk more than this phone!

I currently have a Samsung S8 but i'm a bit fed up with Samsung giving us the weaker, less efficient Exynos processor in their high end models. I want a relatively pure experience that will be supported for at least a couple of years.

I had Samsung phones for years but got fed up with the amount of bloatware and slow updates so went for a nexus 5, then the pixel 2. You can't beat vanilla android with no bloatware and speedy updates.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom