Graphics card advice for PC using a Super Ultra Wide Monitor

Reaction score
I recently fell in love with the Samsung LC49HG90DMUXEN 49" Curved 1ms Ultra Wide 144Hz Monitor - 32:9.

It arrived, but my graphics card is only capable of 1920x1080 resolution. I don't do any gaming at the moment, so I am quite contentedly using two inputs to effectively deal with it like a two monitor setup.

Clearly I would much rather fit a graphics card capable of running it as a single display. I don't do a lot of gaming, but might get into it with this monitor. I have considered purchasing the
Sapphire AMD RX480 Nitro+ 8 GB GDDR5 graphics card.

I have a PC running windows 10, with 16GB RAM, and an Intel i7 CPU.

Can anyone offer me any advice please?

that monitor is 3840 X 1080 I believe you would likely need something with more power like a amd 5700 or 5700 xt / Nvidia 2070 supe, depends on the type of games you want to play. If you are considering getting a newer GPU check your powersupply has enough power and the right connections to power it and theres room in the case for it as they get pretty big these days.

Its the curse of a new monitor the bigger and better they are the more power you need to play games on them, I just moved to a 2K 144hz monitor and have had to get a £400 GPU to make it work as I want.

Does your i7 have integrated graphics? Even the first generation that did is capable of doing 2560x1600@60hz (or 3840x1080@60hz which requires the same bandwidth) over DisplayPort.

Any card with DisplayPort 1.2 or above or HDMI 2.0 will run the screen at full refresh rate (or pretty close). You only need a powerful card or one with lots of memory if you're gaming.

The RX 480 was discontinued a few years ago but from what I remember that generation did have HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 has been around for ages so it's a reasonable second hand choice, although you may want to drop down to the RX 460 if you just want a card that'll run it and do a bit of light gaming. I believe they can be picked up for under £50 these days.

If you want something new the imminent Radeon 5500 will offer the same gaming performance as a second hand RX 480 but with less electricity use.

If you do want to spend the extra to get a gaming card that can runs games at the most sparkly they can be on the monitor then as Fe_man says you'd need to look higher up the range.

How old is your PC? i7 doesn't much as Intel have been using that branding for over a decade so if it's not a recent one it'll likely struggle to run games at high frame rates to take advantage of the 144hz refresh rate, even when paired with the best of cards.

I recently fell in love with the Samsung LC49HG90DMUXEN 49" Curved 1ms Ultra Wide 144Hz Monitor - 32:9.

It arrived, but my graphics card is only capable of 1920x1080 resolution. I don't do any gaming at the moment, so I am quite contentedly using two inputs to effectively deal with it like a two monitor setup.

Clearly I would much rather fit a graphics card capable of running it as a single display. I don't do a lot of gaming, but might get into it with this monitor. I have considered purchasing the
Sapphire AMD RX480 Nitro+ 8 GB GDDR5 graphics card.

I have a PC running windows 10, with 16GB RAM, and an Intel i7 CPU.

Can anyone offer me any advice please?

How are you getting on with your monitor? I've been looking at maybe getting one of these extra wide monitors. What graphics card did you go for?

It's taken a bit of a back seat for a couple of months. I am quite happily using it as a 'conjoined' dual screen at the moment. In other words my screen has two inputs from the PC, one occupies the left half of the monitor, and the other the right half. I don't game with it, so from a 'business use' perspective, it is great at the moment. Even though there are two inputs, I can still straddle the centre with a single application. At some point I will upgrade from my old graphics card, but not yet. Monitor.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom