Graphics Cards

Sinialtstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, apologies for the silly questions however i was looking at some Graphics cards

They all seem to have the same specs, so why is there are a price range on them, why should I not just get the cheapest ones in that range? Cheapest here is £399.93 and the most expensive is £469.98, that's around £70 price difference. So why would I pay £70 more for the essentially the same product?

What is the advantage of having a full size card, as apposed to a "mini" one, apart from space saving?

Many Thanks

performance is generally close, its usually a factor of noise and heat.

check out some comparision review and see if you care, if your PC case is well cooled the choice of a cheaper card is likely OK.

Hi There, thank you.

I have a couple of other concerns. (I am confused)

I was looking at some RTX 2070 Super, and it says they require a 650W PSU

However when I have done a load caclulation on line, inputting that type of GC it says I only need around 450W

I have a currently a 600W PSU, that only has 1x 6 Pin Connector for the Garaphics card. However these cards need a 6 + 8 Pin, and the only adaptor I found on Amazon someone said it caught fire! (this is of course assuming that I do not get one in the box)

So am I going to need another power supply as well. If it's correct about the wattage (I can run on a 600) my only hurdle is that power adaptor.
Also on my machine, the motherboard power supply (not the main one) is quite short on my PSU so is very taught accross the motherboard so that may be a problem

Kind Regards

Hi There, thank you.

I have a couple of other concerns. (I am confused)

I was looking at some RTX 2070 Super, and it says they require a 650W PSU

However when I have done a load caclulation on line, inputting that type of GC it says I only need around 450W

I have a currently a 600W PSU, that only has 1x 6 Pin Connector for the Garaphics card. However these cards need a 6 + 8 Pin, and the only adaptor I found on Amazon someone said it caught fire! (this is of course assuming that I do not get one in the box)

So am I going to need another power supply as well. If it's correct about the wattage (I can run on a 600) my only hurdle is that power adaptor.
Also on my machine, the motherboard power supply (not the main one) is quite short on my PSU so is very taught accross the motherboard so that may be a problem

Kind Regards

I would suggest you upgrade PSU at the same time. I upgraded from a GTX1060 to an RTX2070 Super and changed to a much better 750w EVGA PSU at the same time. 10-year warranty and it should protect my more expensive components better than the smaller one I had.

If your PSU does not have a 2 x 8-pin connectors for a graphics card it likely isn't built to support that kind of wattage, so I would not risk it.

I have a currently a 600W PSU, that only has 1x 6 Pin Connector for the Garaphics card.

Then you likely don't have a 600W PSU but some lower capacity model that's been rebadged as 600W. Unless it's some sort of server model or otherwise unusual I wouldn't expect a reputable make to put just a single 6-pin PCI-E connector on a 600W PSU.

How much power does it deliver at 12V? If it's less than about 42A/500W then it's shouldn't be claiming to be a 600W PSU

PSU 'Requirements' are guidelines only as the PSU powers the whole system so a single component can't know what else you have in there. Those recommendations are based on a system that's on the power hungry side for buyers of that card.

I found on Amazon someone said it caught fire! (this is of course assuming that I do not get one in the box)

It's amazon, there's lots of dodgy stuff there.

The reputable ones come with two molex or connectors because they're often not cabled up to handle sufficient load. An 8-pin PCI-E connector pulls 150W while SATA is designed for 54W and Molex was a de facto standard so doesn't have an explicit spec but is broadly similar to SATA, maybe a bit higher depending on cable thickness.

But as I say I'd have concerns about your power supply being able to deliver anything close to what a standard 600W one can so I'd just replace it.

As noted, if your PSU doesn't have the right connectors, not a good idea to try and run this from it.

What make and model is your PSU? A top-brand 600w PSU is very different from a £25 budget 600w PSU. With the right connectors you probably could have got away with the former, with the latter you're just asking for problems and damaging your rather expensive parts.

Hi all , thank you for taking the time to reply and all replies duly noted.
This is my power supply I currently have here

Kind Regards

Attached is also a picture of my PC layout (in case it helps)

101858836_629711604570096_5316171649811218432_n.jpg

Last edited:
So I will need a new power supply, I will have to keep that one quiet to 'er indoors, as she has only authorised a new GC ;)

However it poses another question, on my CIT PSU the ATX_12V Cable is only 4 pin, however on my motherboard it's 8 Pin so I guess with the new PSU if it's 8 Pin, it will plug in fine and work no problem?

Also I would imagine the height, and other dimensions would have to be exactly the same?

Forgive the silly questions, I have never replaced a PSU before so I am diving into this blind.

So I will need a new power supply, I will have to keep that one quiet to 'er indoors, as she has only authorised a new GC ;)

However it poses another question, on my CIT PSU the ATX_12V Cable is only 4 pin, however on my motherboard it's 8 Pin so I guess with the new PSU if it's 8 Pin, it will plug in fine and work no problem?

Also I would imagine the height, and other dimensions would have to be exactly the same?

Forgive the silly questions, I have never replaced a PSU before so I am diving into this blind.

The PSU should be the same dimensions.

Check the motherboard manual as the new PSU will likely have two x 4 pin ATX_12v connections and using just one is normally fine unless you have drawing huge power which you aren't on that system.

This is a snippet from the manual, it just says connect them in the correct orientation, it does not specifically say to connect just one, or both.
So perhaps I should just leave it, as one (4 pin) connected, as that's how it is at the moment. or If I have got both I may as well connect them in?

motherboardpinouts.JPG

So I have just ordered this.. to power the GC. A Little more than I wanted to pay but If I say nothing 'er indoors need never know...

It is though 1mm higher than my current one so I hope it will fit.
Sorry for all the questions. I just want to be sure it's correct as I cannot be chewed with the hassle of sending something back...lazy perhaps but I just want things to be simple, and straightforward.

Hi There
For the 1st time I have done this I have replaced the power supply. Just waiting for the GC to be delivered now.
For some reason unbeknown to me. I powered up Windows 10 and everything was fine but I had no ethernet (using the on board ethernet) I tried using the troubleshooter thinking it would be as simple as resetting the adaptor, but no such luck.
I tried resetting DNS commands through command prompt but that did not work. After rebooting the router and confirming that we did have internet through the ISP. I swapped ethernet cables and those god forsaken Home plugs. and I know have working ethernet.

I have no idea what caused it to suddenly stop working in the 1st place. However on the whole it was very satisfying doing it myself (with of course the wonderful advice from here....Thank you!)

Edit, I'm not sure about it now as it sounds like a hard drive clicking away - is that normal?
I've checked all the connections and they are fine, and the PC works as it should but the noise coming from this thing is like a hard drive or even a gieger counter clicking away.
The fan is spinning on the unit, and it securely fastened into the case

But for some reason, as I load in Youtube as the page is loading. it stops then starts again, or when I launch an application from my desktop. However my old psu did not do this.

Here is a video of it, I have tried to capture it. more noticeable at about 18 seconds in.

Last edited:
Hi
I ended up sending the EVGA Power supply back. I told the supplier about the noise and when they checked it over they confirmed it was faulty. However they had run out of stock of a replacement and said they where not getting any until the end of July.

I was told to pick an alternative, which I did However by the time my turn came round for them to organise it. This one also went out of stock grr

So I requested a refund and managed to get the alternative one, from a small time supplier - for the same price, ordered at 4pm. was delivered to my house 08:30 the following morning.

I got the Corsair RM750x and I am very pleased with it, it is super silent.. And myself for installing it. Next its the Graphics card which I am going to do later this week.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom