Greyhound (26 June 2020) WWII

Rate me

• Total voters
the release date got torpedoed

Wonder when it ships on blu-ray

If I’m being honest the trailer had a VOD look about it.

At least it’s not dead in the water

I saw a trailer for this pop-up yesterday on YouTube so guessed they were probably doing some sort of release in the near future. I don't have Apple TV though so I am hoping it will emerge on some other VOD services soon. This said, the jury is out for me. I enjoy naval dramas and am certainly a fan of Forester's Hornblower series but the trailer did not inspire me. Looks far too much like a popcorn movie rather than a decent WWII drama. Still, Hanks wouldn't have put his name to something rubbish so will look forward to giving this the benefit of the doubt.

Anyone got any idea if this might eventually get released elsewhere in the future, such as Sky, Netflix etc, or do we think Apple will keep it forever?
I pay enough for Sky & Netflix without 'sinking' more money into more viewing entertainment. Might have to give their free trial a go.

Anyone got any idea if this might eventually get released elsewhere in the future, such as Sky, Netflix etc, or do we think Apple will keep it forever?
I pay enough for Sky & Netflix without 'sinking' more money into more viewing entertainment. Might have to give their free trial a go.
Probably not, they paid about $70m for the rights, I doubt they’ll be anyone show it.

Apple has streaming rights to the film for 15 years, whilst Sony hold onto it for release in China (theoretically, it could get a cinema outing there). So no, don’t expect to see it available anywhere else for the time being.

Apple has streaming rights to the film for 15 years, whilst Sony hold onto it for release in China (theoretically, it could get a cinema outing there). So no, don’t expect to see it available anywhere else for the time being.

Well if I can subscribe for just one month I might do that, just to watch it, or take the free trial.

Well if I can subscribe for just one month I might do that, just to watch it, or take the free trial.
As far as I can tell, Apple still offer a free 7 day trial for ATV+, so you should be good to go with that. :thumbsup:

Presumably this is still likely to get a Blu-ray release? I don't want to sign up for Apple TV even for a free trial as cancelling these things can sometimes be challenging.

Now streaming on Apple TV 👍

Just finished it and really enjoyed it. Reminded me of old school black & white war films my dad used to watch back in the day.

Tom Hanks was his usual solid self. Great visuals and audio on ATV 4K.

Being only just over 90 mins long, it jumped straight into the action and didn’t let up till the end.

Solid 7/10 from me.

Edit: On reflection, I think my score was a touch low, so changing it to an 8/10

Last edited:
it ain't no Captain Phillips.

Hanks and stellar production aside, the film lacks characters to make the piece more interesting, other than the spectacle of set pieces eating up the budget. it's dark and gritty, but lacks in other quarters. You are taken on a 'hell on water' journey but feels flat, shame its no classic. 7.7/10

Reminds me to rewatch the fantastic BoB. Stephen Graham enjoyed working with Tom, who was mimicking Graham's accent on set.

it ain't no Captain Phillips.

Hanks and stellar production aside, the film lacks characters to make the piece more interesting, other than the spectacle of set pieces eating up the budget. it's dark and gritty, but lacks in other quarters. You are taken on a 'hell on water' journey but feels flat, shame its no classic. 7.7/10

Reminds me to rewatch the fantastic BoB. Stephen Graham enjoyed working with Tom, who was mimicking Graham's accent on set.

Watched BoB again with my 23 year old son 2 weeks ago over a weekend.

He’d never seen it, he loved it. Said one of the best shows he’s ever seen. Episodes Bastogne and The Breaking Point are just brutal! Good for the younger snowflake generation to see what that generation went through. (Generational rant over!)

We started The Pacific Wednesday and are 6 episodes in now.

As it’s been a few years since I’ve seen them both, you sometimes forget how stunning they (more so BoB) actually are.

Tom Hanks really pushes the boat out on this

Im going to watch it with a glass of port

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom