Greyhound (Apple TV+) Movie Review & Comments

Picture quality was great and the difference to a disc would be pretty much negligible.

Watched it 4 days ago ( on my hard drive now ) . Just a good entertaining film . Just waiting now for the second season of Das Boot ( new updated series to become available ) First season was good

Solid exercise in action/tension cinema. Hanks dependable as ever. Really had little else going on though.
6/10

It was decent but I expected a bit more from a Tom Hanks film.

I found it too short and could have done with a bit more depth of character. It was tense, but a bit repetitive and unrealistic.

Watched it 4 days ago ( on my hard drive now ) . Just a good entertaining film . Just waiting now for the second season of Das Boot ( new updated series to become available ) First season was good

Do you mean on Sky or somewhere else. Das Boot Season 2 has been on Sky for a couple of months now.

Cheers,

Nigel

Do you mean on Sky or somewhere else. Das Boot Season 2 has been on Sky for a couple of months now.

Cheers,

Nigel
I don't have or ever will subscribe to sky ( so no idea if it is or was on sky ) . I read somewhere about a continuation of the original TV series being made in Germany .. I "found "the complete season one and watched it .. Had no idea there was a second season ( again had to search ) just waiting for that season to end , so that I can watch one episode after another .. I hate waiting 7 days etc to watch another episode etc . I personally think it enhances the original series .

I don't have or ever will subscribe to sky ( so no idea if it is or was on sky ) . I read somewhere about a continuation of the original TV series being made in Germany .. I "found "the complete season one and watched it .. Had no idea there was a second season ( again had to search ) just waiting for that season to end , so that I can watch one episode after another .. I hate waiting 7 days etc to watch another episode etc . I personally think it enhances the original series .

So where can you get it if not Sky, somewhere legit or on the seven seas?

Cheers,

Nigel

I enjoyed this one. It does exactly what it says on the tin and left me with some time to put on another flic afterwards. Decent surround sound considering the stream quality/bandwidth limitations too. 7.5 from me.

I watched Lone Survivor earlier today and it was a very good movie. But the difference in the efficient use of screen time is noticeable. Cas is right about how lean this screenplay (written by Mr Hanks) is. The captain is introduced and the scene is set inside the first 20 minutes of the film. Once we sail on the Greyhound it's mostly action with brief respites. I've seen some reviews critical of this, but for me, not only does make the film time shorter overall, but it makes for a tighter story.

This might be a little bit of a vanity project for Mr Hanks, but it's well written, decently directed and Tom Hanks can play this type of character in his sleep. Think Sully of the High Seas.

It's a dark film with lots of greys but there is still a decent amount of detail. The Atmos height channels are mainly used for the score but overall the sound effects are very effective and with BEQ the bass was satisfyingly low.

8/10 sounds about right.

I signed up to AppleTV+ to finish up Ted Lasso, so got a chance to watch this. Film was a great, tense, compact war thriller, audio was immersive, adding to the experience. But I’m not sure why, I found the PQ poor. The wraparound scenes of Hanks meeting his beau in the hotel were soft, and no better than SD. Not sure if this was artistic choice. But the rest of the film, while sharper was certainly no better than an average Blu-ray. I’ve watched a lot of content recently on various streaming services, and 4K disc, and this was well below par. Based on comments on here I’m wondering if there was a bandwidth issue going on at the time I watched.

That sounds very promising! Might be enough for me to sign up to Apple TV, a single Greyhound movie sure as hell wasn't!

That sounds very promising! Might be enough for me to sign up to Apple TV, a single Greyhound movie sure as hell wasn't!

I know, it's pretty frustrating though, I have every platform except Apple TV. 🙄.
Hopefully it will be released on uhd disc

I thought this was a lot of fun and as mentioned in the review, excellent demonstration of naval warfare. Considering the vast seascape available, the director did well to use sonar, radar and the trusty pencil to identify where the U-boats were in relation to the vessels. Tight, no-nonsense runtime too.

You have to admire the effectiveness of the Navy working with 20th century technology and good old-fashioned mathematics to estimate the enemy's whereabouts. I was gripped. Almost makes me want to learn Morse Code.

Pleased with the image and audio personally; particularly the specular highlights of the fires during the night battles.

I really should explore my Apple TV+ trial a lot more. Left it too long; noticed quite a decent treasure trove of content.

Great review Cas. I've not seen Master and Commander but I'm keen to check that out as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom