Greyhound (Apple TV+) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I've started my free trial especially for this - then I'll cancel it. Can't wait for this evening, kids in bed, wine and Doritos :)

Thanks for the review, Cas.

A few years ago, your review of The Hunt For Red October, plus the other Jack Ryan films, on blu-ray gave me the nudge to buy the complete set. They were films that I had seen once, as a regular cinema goer back then, but your excellent reviews got me interested in watching them again at home. The Hunt For Red October is now an annual watch in my household and I have all the Ryan films on UHD.

I really liked the trailer for Greyhound but I probably wouldn't have gone to the cinema to see it and the 4K disc probably wouldn't be a blind buy I would splash out on but your review has convinced me to take up the free trial for Apple TV+ to watch it. I'll be well pleased if it's even half as good as THFRO so I'm glad that you saw some comparisons in the two films.

Oh damn I'm up for some of this. Tom Hanks and Stephen Graham? Yes. Please.

Thanks for the review, Cas.

A few years ago, your review of The Hunt For Red October, plus the other Jack Ryan films, on blu-ray gave me the nudge to buy the complete set. They were films that I had seen once, as a regular cinema goer back then, but your excellent reviews got me interested in watching them again at home. The Hunt For Red October is now an annual watch in my household and I have all the Ryan films on UHD.

I really liked the trailer for Greyhound but I probably wouldn't have gone to the cinema to see it and the 4K disc probably wouldn't be a blind buy I would splash out on but your review has convinced me to take up the free trial for Apple TV+ to watch it. I'll be well pleased if it's even half as good as THFRO so I'm glad that you saw some comparisons in the two films.
Love submarine movies, pity there's so few of them

I'm a little surprised that Apple TV+ didn't drop the free trial like Disney+ did because of Hamilton.

I guess that they are hoping that might hold onto a portion of those who do sign up just for Greyhound (like everybody here, myself included, seems to be doing). Who knows, maybe I'll stay subscribed for another month if I like what I see during the free trial. There just doesn't seem like there is enough content to sign up for a longer period though.

Just watched this in my home cinema on the big screen in 4K and Dolby Atmos, and I loved it. The film is a tourniquet-tight 90 minutes, looks awesome, sounds fantastic, and Hanks couldn't give a bad performance if he tried. I was even more impressed at the end, when I realised he also wrote it. A definite 9/10 from me.

I thought it was pretty good, I just think it was too short. It is crying out for much more of a slow burn Das Boat feel. This isn't to say it wasn't good, I just wanted more of it. Saw a reviewer describe it as 'efficient' which sums it up quite well.
They really nailed the sinister feeling of the Type IX U-Boat which was very cool. It was more in the Hollywood Pearl Harbor category than realism epics like Saving Private Ryan, 1917, Dunkirk, or Das Boat.

7.5 well worth watching, especially if you are a WW2 and submarine movie fan. Wife surprisingly enjoyed it too, especially after making me endure Hamilton.

Great write up Cas and totally agree - cracking stuff. And absolutely agree @SCOLANATOR - it was way too short!!!!!!

Gutted I haven't got Apple TV. Everything else but. Will this come out to but in 4k disc?

I believe Masters Of Air will be apple TV too?
brand-dark.svg
About our ads

Just finished it and really enjoyed it. Wondered why so short but not a second wasted. Had Apple TV+ since new phone in February! It just differentiate in the TV app enough.

What a cracker. Brilliantly tense. The lightning paced communication between the crew was handled so well, and you really are in awe of the professionalism these men showed under terrifying pressure. Probably one of the best and most immersive soundtracks I've come across. Looked great as well. The cgi was pretty good. You can still tell so not quite there yet. And the German radio broadcasts were a bit Allo Allo. But nitpicking really.

9/10 for the film. 10/10 for the running time.

Might have to try the free months trial to watch this, either that or convince the wife to let me buy a Apple TV 4K and get a free years trial

Very good, doesn’t relent from start to finish, tense and actually found myself cheering at points (very un British of me)

seemed short but perhaps that’s testament to how invested in it I was.

I liked this - quite documentary style but with a lot of tension in the action scenes of which there are loads. Illustrates really well how battles between destroyers and u-boats were actually fought 80 years ago. Yep, thought the 4k DV and Atmos were great, you'll really felt those guns when they were firing. So I would say 8/10 - George

Just finished watching this and i enjoyed this very much !!
Tom Hanks was excellent and the tension was up there and then that Atmos track WOW.....

I've asked Sony if they are going to release this on 4K disc so hope to hear from them soon, meanwhile fingers crossed ;)
Would buy this disc no questions asked !

9/10 from me too !

Favourite genre and favourite actor so can’t wait to see this, one small problem in that I don’t have Apple TV :( hopefully not too long till it comes out on disk

Favourite genre and favourite actor so can’t wait to see this, one small problem in that I don’t have Apple TV :( hopefully not too long till it comes out on disk

Exactly me this.

Myself and Mrs N settled down to watch this, fired up the projector...settled down?!!!, boom, this thing doesn't let up, it litterally felt like Tom Hanks had put himself into sleep deprivation mode to play the part, crew members changing over at certain times, not Hanks, even the captain's chair only got one look in...

Excellent stuff, i love me some Hunt for Red October and even U571, this is not far off at all. As said, probably could have been longer, but then that would probably have released the lean, mean tension of the film and sent it in another direction...cheers Cas, loved it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom