Guardians of the Galaxy 4K UHD

Some of the US Disc owners over on Blu-ray.com are saying this transfer as actually pretty good and a noticeable upgrade over the BD. So there is still hope!

It’s one of my favourite films of the last 10 years so hoping it’s an upgrade.

Mine was dispatched on Tuesday from Beat The Bomb, Australia (came to £20.06 via PayPal after conversion) so will hopefully arrive by end of next week. And fingers crossed no tax to pay as the vendor said they mark it below the threshold.

EDIT - noticed that JB Hifi now have this in their 2 for Aus$40 offer together with the other recent marvel back catalog, which is a bargain. However not sure where you stand if they dispatch 2 items in one envelope as customs may apply

Last edited:
Crikey the aussies lucked out, we STILL don't even have a release date for a standalone and even if we did it would be 20-25 quid.

They have all three MCU and some pixar too, so envious.

Edited, actually you could probably put in a big order and still make some good savings even with import fees and royal mail charges?

That JB Hi-Fi 2fer$40 always looks nice but I worry about the customs trap. This time too the offer only adds 20c for the 2nd item shipping.

I'll wait for the next $5 off just around the corner and separately get GOTG, Thor and Ant-Man.

I decided it wasn’t worth the risk and ordered Guardians on it’s own, it came to Au$ 32.78, so under my Customs threshold and i’ve emailed them about refunding the GST.

I decided it wasn’t worth the risk and ordered Guardians on it’s own, it came to Au$ 32.78, so under my Customs threshold and i’ve emailed them about refunding the GST.

yeah think im going to go that route, the other prices are ridiculous on wow/ebay and usa prices? wonder why its so high? im sure JBhifi they send they separately would like to have this and dr strange in the 2 x $40 might bang off an email!

Last edited:
I emailed Mario on eBay and asked would he be stocking any of the Marvel back catalogue 4Ks. He replied that they were too expensive for him to buy and resell.

You know you’re in trouble when something is too expensive for Mario :laugh:

I emailed Mario on eBay and asked would he be stocking any of the Marvel back catalogue 4Ks. He replied that they were too expensive for him to buy and resell.

I suspect another problem is that there is no market for the Blu Rays

A good time to try a service like Stackry if you haven’t already. Happy to give you a referral code which would make your first use almost free.

Last edited:

Damn these are proving really hard to get if you don't want to wait for the inevitable UK release. I cancelled my JBHIFI order this morning because about 5 days after ordering they still hadn't even shipped them. They responded straight away saying they'd cancelled them as requested which tells me they weren't even close to shipping them either

They usually send discs out separately and split the cost so likely you would have been ok.

Damn these are proving really hard to get if you don't want to wait for the inevitable UK release. I cancelled my JBHIFI order this morning because about 5 days after ordering they still hadn't even shipped them. They responded straight away saying they'd cancelled them as requested which tells me they weren't even close to shipping them either

I got shipping notification for mine today, so nice I knew they wouldn’t ship the two together I ordered the Doctor Strange disc.

So if you order two they split them into two packages, does that mean you won't get charged for customs?

You might be okay, you might also get hit twice as they've sometimes been known to declare the total cost of an order, on each separate item.

Dun! Dun! DUN!

So if you order two they split them into two packages, does that mean you won't get charged for customs?
In my experience with them they ship as per order. Order two UHDs in one order and they ship both together and you get hit with customs. Order two UHDs in two seperate orders and they should ship each order seperately (which should then be below the customs limit).

Pretty sure JB Hi-Fi Australia have marked the full item value in the past even if it's a 2fer etc as they use bulk air/surface mail and they enter the individual item value. I have used JB Hi-Fi New Zealand www.jbhifi.co.nz/action/guardians-of-the-galaxy/372220/ and the 2fers have had the combined price marked correctly and the stuff arrives via courier so a bit less automation I reckon. Rare to see a 2fer though in NZ but $5-$7 off happen often. Mind big difference in NZ currency rates xe.com

I do take the risk with their Australia shop as I've have plenty slip through customs but that's only worth the risk if it's something a bit rare.

It's becoming even more difficult for people to import I have a funny feeling it'll only get worse.

Sounds like it could be very expensive then for a bulk order, if they don't give the correct value I could end up paying a customs fee as well as import fees and an RM charge.

And then they could send them individually and put the total order on each one, yikes... and I bet I wouldn't get any refund for it from jbhifi, royal mail or her maj.

I'll wait to see what black friday brings, or maybe the UK could stop being idiots and actually release these over here.

My copy from Beat The Bomb Australia arrived today. Was marked as $15 value on the package so no customs tax. Arrived in 10 days. £20 all in.

Gave it a quick flick through all chapters and was pleasantly surprised.

Not sure what all the negative fuss was about. It’s a definite upgrade from the Blu ray and glad I’ve now got this on all formats. Picture is sharp throughout and does look clean (maybe the slight DNR people were talking about) but doesn’t spoil the image.

The HDR might not be blinding but that doesn’t bother me as long as the image is clear and sharp.

Just need to put the time aside to sit back and enjoy it all over again.

Last edited:
Amazon US were matching one of the US chain's Buy Two, Get a Third Free, during the week.

GoTG, Doctor Strange and Ant Man were in it.

I ordered them, and cancelled my pre-order for the Nordic discs.

Worked out about the same price, but the digital copies will help claw some money back.

Hi, on the Australian ones, is that huge movie rating printed on the cover or is it a sticker? Starting to give up on GotG, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange getting a 4K release in the UK

Hi, on the Australian ones, is that huge movie rating printed on the cover or is it a sticker? Starting to give up on GotG, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange getting a 4K release in the UK

Printed on and they will get a U.K. release eventually, Doctor Strange will be out next month as part of the Phase 3 Part 1 UHD set so perhaps they are holding the other two back for an eventual Phase 2 UHD set and once they have forced those that simply must have them into buying the Phase sets they will release them individually.

This is very short notice but I’m in the US and just off to Best Buy. If anyone wants a Guardians or Ant Man steelbook, they are in stock. Let me know (quickly) if you want one and I’ll do it posted for £39......can send Wednesday. I’ll obviously advertise on the Buy & Sell boards etc because of forum rules. For non-steel, Aussie ones are best value but no code or Blu. Can pick up a US one but it would be about £30.

Didn't realise you only got the 4k disc with the Aussie version. Not sure how I feel about that. I guess if it brings the costs down it's ok.

Explains why it's so cheap for a recent release though.

mine has turned up today from JBhifi - bit annoyed as they took the money and showed in stock, when i contacted them they said there was no stock, waited a week after they took my money for dispatch. i wanted to buy dr strange too, but i didnt want to risk any customs charges if shipped together. scarface has turned up too from amazon so happy days, think i might have a cheeky monday drink and get some action going

EPG1wLGh.jpg

EXcz2UF.gif

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom