Guardians of the Galaxy 4K UHD

That’s great thanks guys. I can get this and Ant Man for £25 delivered so I’m going to order now I think.

That’s great thanks guys. I can get this and Ant Man for £25 delivered so I’m going to order now I think.
Don't order them together. You'll get hit with 20% VAT and Royal Mail £8 handling fee.
I'd recommend ordering individually.

Don't order them together. You'll get hit with 20% VAT and Royal Mail £8 handling fee.
Damn I’ve already ordered and paid via PayPal. I’ll try and cancel and reorder.

Damn I’ve already ordered and paid via PayPal. I’ll try and cancel and reorder.
At the moment they are taking ages to actually post out stuff. I ordered Ant Man on Friday and it's still not shipped so I wouldn't worry about being able to catch it in time.

I'd also reccommend staggering the time of order to avoid the possibility of them being combined into one shipment. I only ever order one at a time and won't order another until the first one has dispatched. Probably overkill but the discs will always be available and they have sales just about every month or two.

When you've reordered and it's been dispatched ask them for a GST (Australia VAT) refund. That will be around 10% of the value of the order.

Last edited:
What’s the threshold for VAT and handling etc? How do I figure out if it’s worth it to buy together or individually?

I've seen it mentioned previously that even if you do 2 separate orders, sometimes JBHiFi will still ship them together in one package. You'll probably need to order one first and let it dispatch, then order the 2nd one afterwards, just to make sure they are sent separately and you don't incur the extra charges.

I've seen it mentioned previously that even if you do 2 separate orders, sometimes JBHiFi will still ship them together in one package. You'll probably need to order one first and let it dispatch, then order the 2nd one afterwards, just to make sure they are sent separately and you don't incur the extra charges.
I’ll remember that when I come to reorder, thanks. I’ll wait for confirmation of my cancellation first.

What’s the threshold for VAT and handling etc? How do I figure out if it’s worth it to buy together or individually?
Item has to be under £15 (excluding P&P).
If item is over £15 then you are charged on the total price (including P&P) and almost certainly the courier admin fee.

I’ve had to send a cancellation request as I checked out as a guest. Hope it goes through easily enough.

As Hippo above, You don't need to worry about anything below £15.

£15-£135 you will get charged 20% VAT + a handling fee from your courier.

Anything over £135 (unlikely in the case of blu-rays admittedly) you have 10% Duty to be paid on the item+shipping cost then your 20% VAT is added on top before your courier twists the knife again.

The exchange rate used for these calculations is updated on a monthly basis by HMRC here and applies when the order reaches the UK. So if you order something in Jan and it arrives in March, its March's rate that applies.

As Hippo above, You don't need to worry about anything below £15.

£15-£135 you will get charged 20% VAT + a handling fee from your courier.

Anything over £135 (unlikely in the case of blu-rays admittedly) you have 10% Duty to be paid on the item+shipping cost then your 20% VAT is added on top before your courier twists the knife again.

The exchange rate used for these calculations is updated on a monthly basis by HMRC here and applies when the order reaches the UK. So if you order something in Jan and it arrives in March, its March's rate that applies.
Jeez what a rip off. I wonder if this will apply to the EU after Brexit? Thanks for the info.

Jeez what a rip off. I wonder if this will apply to the EU after Brexit? Thanks for the info.
Very probably as the UK will be outside the customs union. But on the plus side EU VAT will be able to be reclaimed AFAIK from amazon. So if ordering <£15 discs they will be cheaper without the 19% to 23% VAT that has been included up to now.

Orders over £15 where the biggest savings were to be made like 3 or 4 for offers at amazon.it will be hit by the 20% UK VAT and £8 RM fee which the savings on Spanish/Italian etc VAT refunds wil not be enough to cover. So get those multiple disc orders in while you can...

Very probably as the UK will be outside the customs union. But on the plus side EU VAT will be able to be reclaimed AFAIK from amazon. So if ordering <£15 discs they will be cheaper without the 19% to 23% VAT that has been included up to now.

Orders over £15 where the biggest savings were to be made like 3 or 4 for offers at amazon.it will be hit by the 20% UK VAT and £8 RM fee which the savings on Spanish/Italian etc VAT refunds wil not be enough to cover. So get those multiple disc orders in while you can...
Wounded. I’ll have to think on before ordering from Europe again.
Got my order cancellation confirmation. I will order Guardians now and Ant Man whenever I get shipping confirmation. Thanks all.

Ordered Guardians. It was just shy of £18 so when I come to order Ant Man I would’ve only saved about £2 by ordering separately. Still it’s £2 in my pocket and at least I’ll have them early. Cheers guys.

Most likely :(
On the plus side, for larger purchases I think the 10% duty will no longer apply. As someone wanting to import a car from japan later this year I can only hope 🙏

Zavvi have announced the steels (see steelbook section) for this and Ant-Man, release date end of March so got to assume regular versions won't be too far away. Of course everyone will have already imported them by then if they haven't already! :D

Zavvi have announced the steels (see steelbook section) for this and Ant-Man, release date end of March so got to assume regular versions won't be too far away. Of course everyone will have already imported them by then if they haven't already! :D
Damn just as I ordered from JB Hi Fi. I decided to wait for these so cancelled my order as it hadn’t shipped yet.

I got the German GOTG and Ant-man discs a couple of weeks ago. I said then that knowing my luck they would be both be announced for the UK the following week, I was only a week out.

End of March release? That's a full 6 months after north America and 4-6 months after the rest of western Europe. The Exec in charge of Disney's Home Entertainment release schedule still doesn't understand the UK market do they? Releasing them on disc less than a week after the launch of Disney+ seems a strange decision too.

At least they are coming out though, I was 75% certain they wouldn't be released in the UK at all.

I got the German GOTG and Ant-man discs a couple of weeks ago. I said then that knowing my luck they would be both be announced for the UK the following week, I was only a week out.

End of March release? That's a full 6 months after north America and 4-6 months after the rest of western Europe. The Exec in charge of Disney's Home Entertainment release schedule still doesn't understand the UK market do they? Releasing them on disc less than a week after the launch of Disney+ seems a strange decision too.

At least they are coming out though, I was 75% certain they wouldn't be released in the UK at all.
I wonder if it has anything to do with Brexit? Maybe by waiting they’re avoiding some tax or something?

End of March release? That's a full 6 months after north America and 4-6 months after the rest of western Europe. The Exec in charge of Disney's Home Entertainment release schedule still doesn't understand the UK market do they?
It could get even worse. Anyone who really wanted these discs will have already imported them so now that they're finally being released in the UK sales will be lower, causing the studios to underestimate the demand!

It could get even worse. Anyone who really wanted these discs will have already imported them so now that they're finally being released in the UK sales will be lower, causing the studios to underestimate the demand!

That's why I've said a couple of times that whoever it is at Disney UK who decides when films are released on disc doesn't understand the UK market.

Because we usually get new films 4-6 weeks after north America and catalogue titles months later, it skews the figures of how well a release sells in the UK and drastically alters Disney's future strategy in the UK.

A significant proportion of buyers of blu-ray and UHD discs are early adopters and AV enthusiasts (i.e. the typical AVForums member). This is the type of viewer who will go out of their way to view new content as quickly as possible. If MCU films or other big franchises aren't available in the UK for months after they are available in north America or continental Europe, then those particular buyers have no problem importing those films to be able to see them as soon as possible on their 4K HDR TVs and AV set-ups. When the disc finally comes out in the UK months later, it's mainly joe public buying the disc on an impulse or as a present etc in low numbers. That clueless Disney Exec is then looking at the UK sales figures, scratching their head and thinking to themselves that the UK isn't very interested in home media in a disc format.

Disney UK needs to start releasing films on disc the very same day as north America, after all films come out on the same day at the cinema, to see how well a film performs on disc. That's probably not going to happen though under the current structure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom