GZ 950 OLED TV power supply squealing and ticking in standby mode

NVX

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just got the GZ950 and I'm experiencing some pretty weird noises coming from the power supply in standby mode, when the TV is turned off.

Upon about 10 seconds after switching the TV off to standby, there's a distinct "click" in the power supply and immediately a (not too loud but annoying enough) high-pitched squealing starts off, accompanied by mild continuous ticking sound in the unit. I noticed the ticking also in other Panasonic TV's in standby mode but the continuous squealing is rather annoying.

I noticed that these sounds sometimes stop after about an hour but other times they won't stop until the TV is turned on again.

Any advice/solution much appreciated!

If the tv is on for more than 4hrs when you switch off the green on light will go amber, this shows the tv is doing an automatic screen clean and will do this for 10-15 mins (in my case) then switches off altogether and the amber light turns red (standby) till you next switch it on.

I have only had my GZ950 so only found this out in the last 2 days, it will do a major screen clean every 1000hrs use.

Can't say I have heard mine making any squealing noises yet though, I am on about 210hrs usage so far.

If the tv is on for more than 4hrs when you switch off the green on light will go amber, this shows the tv is doing an automatic screen clean and will do this for 10-15 mins (in my case) then switches off altogether and the amber light turns red (standby) till you next switch it on.

I have only had my GZ950 so only found this out in the last 2 days, it will do a major screen clean every 1000hrs use.

Can't say I have heard mine making any squealing noises yet though, I am on about 210hrs usage so far.

Thanks for sharing the info, wouldn't mind any short term screen cleaning cycle, neither the "clicking" sound but the constant tinnitus-like high-pitched ringing of the power supply is bothersome. This is not happening at all when the TV is turned on. I wish I could affect the power supply behavior in the standby mode because that seems to be the problem.

Even tried tweaking the VIERA link options in the menu and all Eco settings but nothing seems to be solve this.

@NVX If you've only just purchased it I'd suggest getting it replaced while in your 30 day return window. That's definitely not right & could potentially be a safety issue if it's a problem with the power supply.

That doesn't sound right at all. My old EZ made a clicking sound when in standby doing the clean routine thing. GZ doesn't do this. The squealing sound is definitely not good..

So I asked about the issue at the local Panasonic service and was told that this would be probably characteristics of the power supply and maybe even within normal limits (?). One thing I was advised to try is to ask for repair or replacement but I might end up with the same issue even with a different unit.

By the way, I just realized that if I turn on the "Home Network Server" under the "Network Link Settings" the TV doesn't switch to the ticking and high-pitched squealing standby mode and the LED indicator stays orange instead of the red standby mode. Not sure if that's supposed to be a solution, seems like this would consume much more energy...

OK, I have another bizzare update: I just realized that the intensity of the squealing is mainly affected by tweaking the status of Power LED Indicator light options:

-If I set the Power LED Indicator to "Off" the squealing is intense (starts only about 10 secs after turning off the TV).
-If I set the Power LED Indicator to "On for Standby Only" or always "On" the squealing is just about 40% in intensity (starts only about 10 secs after turning off the TV) and noticeable only when placing my ear near the rear of the TV.

Could you check whether your GZ950 behaves similarly depending on the Power LED Indicator setting?

OK, I have another bizzare update: I just realized that the intensity of the squealing is mainly affected by tweaking the status of Power LED Indicator light options:

-If I set the Power LED Indicator to "Off" the squealing is intense (starts only about 10 secs after turning off the TV).
-If I set the Power LED Indicator to "On for Standby Only" or always "On" the squealing is just about 40% in intensity (starts only about 10 secs after turning off the TV) and noticeable only when placing my ear near the rear of the TV.

Could you check whether your GZ950 behaves similarly depending on the Power LED Indicator setting?

I don't get any continuous clicking or audible squealing from my GZ950 on any of the Power LED settings. It's 9 months old and has over 2000 hours on it so far.

A TV shouldn't be making any kind of continuous sound when it's off. If I was in your position, I wouldn't put up with it and would exchange the TV - this should be easier to do if you've only just bought it and do it ASAP.

No clicks or squealing on my GZ1000 - Power Led On for Standby Only. I really would notice too because its usually dead quiet when I turn off the TV.

I had the GZ950 but it developed a fault and I've now got the HZ1500. Neither TV's exhibited any noise whatsoever so suggest you insist on a new replacement asap.

I have the exact same problem as you have and also contacted panasonic and gave a video of the noise and techs said it was within normal limits. Same with you its sometimes louder at times and sometimes dont take notice of it, they said I can contact their repairs to come look but if they cant find a fault (which they said already it isnt a fault) then I would have to pay a charge. Not aure if its worth it, theres definitely a sound there, very high pitched. But I asked my parents and they vannot hear it so not sure if its worth repairs looking if they wont hear it either

I have the exact same problem as you have and also contacted panasonic and gave a video of the noise and techs said it was within normal limits. Same with you its sometimes louder at times and sometimes dont take notice of it, they said I can contact their repairs to come look but if they cant find a fault (which they said already it isnt a fault) then I would have to pay a charge. Not aure if its worth it, theres definitely a sound there, very high pitched. But I asked my parents and they vannot hear it so not sure if its worth repairs looking if they wont hear it either

I had two service techs over and they heard nothing (both over 50), nevertheless, they changed the power supply but the problem persists. The only remaining thing left to try is to contact Panasonic Europe and address the issue with them. I noticed that turning on the Network Link solves the squealing completely though it seems like a dumb workaround. Not sure if the feature consumes much more power than standard supply but that's what I did. Other than that I love the overall color tonality of the TV and wouldn't change it for LG...

I had two service techs over and they heard nothing (both over 50), nevertheless, they changed the power supply but the problem persists. The only remaining thing left to try is to contact Panasonic Europe and address the issue with them. I noticed that turning on the Network Link solves the squealing completely though it seems like a dumb workaround. Not sure if the feature consumes much more power than standard supply but that's what I did. Other than that I love the overall color tonality of the TV and wouldn't change it for LG...
My guess was it was something to do with the power supply as well, so that’s interesting to hear that it still happens after replacing that...
What does network link actually do? I may try that.
I agree the TV is great otherwise, so probably will just have to put up with it. I have the 5 year warranty so if it does develop further than hopefully thats covered

Panasonic said they will replace the power supply on mine, do you reckon its worth trying?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom