Half Life: Alyx!!!

I`m running back through, doing the gnome challenge. Faster movement speed makes the combat much more fun. And I`m exploring everything this time.

I'm going to wait for a new HMD before playing Alyx all over again. 4k displays is the next big upgrade.

The gnome challenge seems like fun though.

That Gnome looks a bit like GebeN. haha.

I bought this for a bit of fun whilst being interred. I have an original Occulus rift with the touch controllers.

There were prevoiusly only two VR programs that really blew me away, Google Earth and Aircar (which is essentially a tech demo).

This just shows what can be achieved with VR. Other developers need to step up the the plate. I was going to sell my Rift as it wasn’t getting used but I never got around to it as I was too busy.

Can you imagine Far Cry in VR.

Valve may have single handedly re-invigorated VR. I hope this is the first of many ....

Can you imagine Far Cry in VR.

Valve may have single handedly re-invigorated VR. I hope this is the first of many ....

I’ve been stalking/lurking on VR headers prob since CV1 some games have peaked my interest, but starting off with a gaming laptop that was vr ready, kinda held me back due to no real upgradability, but sold it and just finished my SFF Ryzen 3600/rtx 2070 super build a month back, and half life Alyx appeared,
I was dead set on an oculus quest due to the WiFi ability but have held off to see if this Hp/valve headset will come out this year and lack of oculus stock, but failing that gonna get a quest ,

a far cry VR game would be out of this world man :)

The problem with Alyx is that its set the bar very high now. I`ve recently gone back to Boneworks as the save points have now been added, on previous plays of Boneworks I`ve been wowed by it..... and now I`m a little meh about it. I`m still going to press on as at the end of the day story is king (or so I keep telling myself)

A farCry world to explore - Yes please

I'd rather have FarCry (which still looks great for a 2004 game) in VR than HL2 (which looks absolute pants in comparison).

Half-life: Alyx is undoubtedly excellent but is not as big a step as some of you seem to think. Have you tried The Gallery Ep1 and Ep2? They are short, 2 to 3 hours each, but considering Alyx's RRP of £50 they are reasonably priced and both are excellent puzzle solving adventure games. Prior to Alyx I think they were my top VR experiences. Still excited for Ep3, and beyond if there is more to come.

A Far Cry VR experience could be awesome! Ubi have some of the best character models in the business and I think they would be spectacular in VR. A large part of what makes Far Cry Far Cry is the huge world and the vehicles. Vehicles don't work so well for many in VR, especially the way we drive them in a Far Cry game. Ubi were early supporters of VR with Star Trek Bridge Crew and Eagle Flight. Hope they haven't lost interest.

Half-life: Alyx is undoubtedly excellent but is not as big a step as some of you seem to think. Have you tried The Gallery Ep1 and Ep2? They are short, 2 to 3 hours each, but considering Alyx's RRP of £50 they are reasonably priced and both are excellent puzzle solving adventure games. Prior to Alyx I think they were my top VR experiences. Still excited for Ep3, and beyond if there is more to come.

A Far Cry VR experience could be awesome! Ubi have some of the best character models in the business and I think they would be spectacular in VR. A large part of what makes Far Cry Far Cry is the huge world and the vehicles. Vehicles don't work so well for many in VR, especially the way we drive them in a Far Cry game. Ubi were early supporters of VR with Star Trek Bridge Crew and Eagle Flight. Hope they haven't lost interest.

But this is Valve, they start at 5/10 just for releasing anything lol.

One thing with Alyx is you never get bored playing it. I completed it in two sessions. Thats credit to the comfort of the Index and the design choices of the game.

Good video from Digital Foundry gushing over the achievement that is Alyx. A little tto much comparison with Boneworks, and he played the game in the wrong headset, but a good analysis...

The aiming has felt a little 'off' for me and I think I've figured out why.

The Knuckles accommodate various size hands by adjusting the position of the Knuckle strap, effectively slightly rotating the controller in your hand so your fingers rest on the trigger and sensors in the right way.

I have large hands and actually use the 3d printed boosters, so the Knuckles are likely rotated in my hand more than most. So aiming a weapon feels slightly rotated to what I would expect. Wish there was a way to somehow adjust this.

You made it little man!
20200403235921_1.jpg

Jeff didn't look happy about it.

Did you feel bad for Jeff? I’ve often visualised putting someone in a trash compactor and throwing the switch but when it came down to it I felt kind of bad. Lol Those people at Valve are sick.

I'm on the fence for this game and I don't know why because I love Half-Life and I know I'll probably love this, but £40!!! Is it really worth it or better to wait (and I know I won't)?

In all seriousness though, I've been doing my house up the last few months so my Rift S has been boxed away. However, as we're in lockdown I got it out and installed Boneworks last night after reading about it in here. I've got to say, it took me longer to get out of the first screen where you chuck stuff in the incinerator and archive than getting through the rest of the introduction. It took me ages to work out the controls.

Which is why I'm reluctant over Alyx for £40. How does it control? I've read the comments and watched Youtube, but if my first couple of hours in Boneworks is anything to go by, I'm going to struggle. Does it become intuitive?

I think the physics in Aylx is more user friendly. I much prefer Alyx over Boneworks on pretty much every level. If there’s a game worth paying the asking price it’s Alyx. You will enjoy it.

I'm on the fence for this game and I don't know why because I love Half-Life and I know I'll probably love this, but £40!!! Is it really worth it or better to wait (and I know I won't)?

In all seriousness though, I've been doing my house up the last few months so my Rift S has been boxed away. However, as we're in lockdown I got it out and installed Boneworks last night after reading about it in here. I've got to say, it took me longer to get out of the first screen where you chuck stuff in the incinerator and archive than getting through the rest of the introduction. It took me ages to work out the controls.

Which is why I'm reluctant over Alyx for £40. How does it control? I've read the comments and watched Youtube, but if my first couple of hours in Boneworks is anything to go by, I'm going to struggle. Does it become intuitive?

Its amazing, buy it!

Alyx is a lot less complicated than boneworks. Its simpler but there is far less you can do with the physics stuff. Its more of a videogame than boneworks.

Boneworks to me was like learning to walk and jump and run again. Alyx is very accessible but in return.. its just not on the same level of immersion as boneworks.

Boneworks to me was like learning to walk and jump and run again.
That analogy sums up my thoughts on playing Boneworks exactly. I felt like a toddler having to learn things for the first time.

Thanks for the response, I'm going to buy it. I might get Saints and Sinners as well.

Yeah you won’t regret it. I’m a casual gamer and was also unsure wether to spend the money. But I’m 3 or so hours in now and it’s amazing. Easy and reasonably intuitive to get into. And the graphics are fantastic, when it’s dark and your going around with a torch, and the atmosphere, it is good 😀

That analogy sums up my thoughts on playing Boneworks exactly. I felt like a toddler having to learn things for the first time.

Thanks for the response, I'm going to buy it. I might get Saints and Sinners as well.

Yeah get it. I think of boneworks as an expert level game for VR mastery. I really really really like it in many ways because everything I did in it was kind of magical. But its got a STEEP learning curve because you really really need to understand and respect its physics system. Its a lot more stubborn than other games.

Alyx is just a really nice VR game with top tier visuals and sound design. It doesn't try to push VR forwards from a learning curve perspective (heck, its a game built around teleporting to begin with). Climbing in boneworks felt like climbing at times, especially the monkey bars. On HLA, it feels like I'm climbing a ladder in a VR game.

Poor little thing. :devil:

Just replayed Jeff and I didn’t press the button!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom