Hamilton (Disney+) Movie Review & Comments

Just watched it for the very first time. Thought it was amazing. The Atmos in the LG SN11RG was fantastic! Excellent picture quality in 4K as well. Highly recommended.

I'd heard of Hamilton, and always in high regard. But I didn't realise it was rap music. I'll probably still give it a go as the novelty of something new on Disney is a draw.

Got about 5 mins in and gave up, not my cup of tea at all, the rap is annoying

I’m 20 mins in and really enjoying it, not all rap, recognise some faces including the main star from Mindhunter

Got about 5 mins in and gave up, not my cup of tea at all, the rap is annoying
Not all rap. Lots of different music styles in it. Give it another go.

I thought this was a racing biopic.

Found this really enjoyable, but playing via PS4 into Denon 4500 and couldn't get any sound from the rears? Bizarre

I had a choice to make last night watch 2001 a space odyssey or Hamilton, picked the wrong one.

Would rather stick pins in my eyes then watch this ever again.

I think if it was 2001 or anything else, it would have been the wrong choice :)

Watched it last night via Disney+ app on an AppleTV 4K Box. It is listed as 4K HDR with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos sound.

Although I only have a SDR 1080p TV, the PQ was excellent. AQ was also excellent; my SONY STR-DN1080 reported it was decoding Dolby Atmos.

Let's be honest, Hamilton is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. The opening 10 - 15 minutes is pretty full on with rap / hip-hop at breakneck speed, but it does eventually calm down a bit and ventures into other musical styles if you can get past that part.

Familiarity with the American War of Independence and Alexander Hamilton himself will be a big help following what's going on. The Wikipedia page for him provides a concise(!) summary and helps fill in some of the gaps.

Although the 2h 40m running time is a bit of a marathon, you can can pause it for comfort breaks without having to disturb other theatre goers!

Personally, I enjoyed it and am glad of the opportunity to watch a show that I might otherwise not have been able to see.

Last edited:
Ive been lucky enough to see this on Broadway and in the Westend.

Like Wicked before it there is a reason its the most celebrated musical of its era.

We gave the Disney+ version a whirl last night and it does a really good job of showing off the production.

Lasted 5 minutes. I think you need to be in the right frame of mind to deal with that particular genre of music.

Ive been lucky enough to see this on Broadway and in the Westend.

Like Wicked before it there is a reason its the most celebrated musical of its era.

We gave the Disney+ version a whirl last night and it does a really good job of showing off the production.

Have seen it in the West End and was due to see it in LA in April (but obvs THAT didn't happen). Really liked it the first time, but it's possible first time around to find it hard to keep up in some songs. But I've since listened to the album MANY times and adore it. As has been said, the music styles are all over the place for different songs, it's not all about rap (but the intro number is excellent once you have the ear for it).

And agreed - the D+ version does an excellent job of the staging and camerawork and it's great to see the original cast in action. Also picked up little bits that I didn't before (as I had a seat up in the gods).

Now we just need In the Heights to actually come out...

I’ve watched the trailers and read the reviews and I am still none the wiser about what this is about. A politician who may or may not be black? Something about banking..? All set to a rap soundtrack..? Can anyone tell me why I should spend time watching this? What’s the story? What’s the point?!

Oldest daughter dragged us to the West End production a couple of years ago. I was distinctly unimpressed after the first half. Second act much better- slower, more accessible songs and a cracking plot.
Watched the Disney+ stream last night on my cinema set-up; the audio in particular made it more enjoyable - the high speed rap-type lyrics of the first half particularly were easier to follow. Got to be impressed with Lin Miranda's songwriting skills, for the lyrics and the slower more conventional tunes of the second half.
Recommended.

Lasted 5 minutes. I think you need to be in the right frame of mind to deal with that particular genre of music.
IT’S NOT ALL RAP!
How many times do you have to be told this?
7 times so far...do we need an 8th? :rolleyes:

IT’S NOT ALL RAP!
How many times do you have to be told this?
7 times so far...do we need an 8th? :rolleyes:
Calm down. The first 5 minutes was rap and I couldn't be doing with it. I might find myself more predisposed at another point to persevere and get to the non rap parts.

I’ve watched the trailers and read the reviews and I am still none the wiser about what this is about. A politician who may or may not be black? Something about banking..? All set to a rap soundtrack..? Can anyone tell me why I should spend time watching this? What’s the story? What’s the point?!
Link at the bottom of post#38? 🤷‍♂️

We enjoyed the soundtrack for a good year before we saw the stage show in DC. Knowing the history does help; familiarity with the music helped to listen to it in the theatre.

My question: having already seen it, is it worth signing up for Disney+?

Link at the bottom of post#38? 🤷‍♂️
Yup read that too. Boring as hell. Why on earth would I watch a rap version of that?!

Yup read that too. Boring as hell. Why on earth would I watch a rap version of that?!

The show won Tony awards and Grammy awards in the US and Laurence Olivier Awards in the UK.

Despite coming out 5 years ago its still one of if not 'the' biggest show in theatre and has been continuously difficult to get tickets for.

Now with Covid19 its impossible to see on a stage until 2021.

I mean ...... 🤷‍♂️ for many people thats a pretty good reason to want to watch it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom