Hamilton (Disney+) Movie Review & Comments

The show won Tony awards and Grammy awards in the US and Laurence Olivier Awards in the UK.

Despite coming out 5 years ago its still one of if not 'the' biggest show in theatre and has been continuously difficult to get tickets for.

Now with Covid19 its impossible to see on a stage until 2021.

I mean ...... 🤷‍♂️ for many people thats a pretty good reason to want to watch it.
Thanks for the reasoned reply. It does make me feel any more like watching it, but I appreciate your point.

Saw it live in London, dragged along by my daughter last year. I was a bit sceptical but absolutely loved it. It’s a theatrical, musical and writing act of genius. Watched it on Disney+ last night and loved it all over again. Good review, I agree with it entirely.

I know very little about musicals to be honest, but I was got the chance to see Hamilton in the west end at Christmas. I feared the worst as I am a metal fan but I enjoyed it. There was a rap element, but a lot of the songs were fairly standard ballads/musical numbers. Some of the lyrics are quite funny, and the writing impressed me as it was quite sharp. Watched the disney version last night and the PQ was very good. Really impressed with the atmos as I felt I was sitting in the audience during the applause, and made the lyrics a little more clear, as well as more clarity between instruments. Enjoyed it again I have to say.

That's a remote island you're on.
Would love to be on one!
Days to theatre / cinema are in hold as we have young kids, so don’t bother keeping up on ent news, honestly never heard of this :)

Would love to be on one!
Days to theatre / cinema are in hold as we have young kids, so don’t bother keeping up on ent news, honestly never heard of this :)
I don't know anyone that's heard of this. I only heard about it because of a curb your enthusiasm episode that it featured in.

They need to release Book of Mormon similarly to Hamilton, will be the biggest hit of the year for sure. absolutely hysterical through out.

Never got a chance to see Hamilton on stage but will definitely check this out at some point, although plays don't translate very well on the screen.

I don't know anyone that's heard of this. I only heard about it because of a curb your enthusiasm episode that it featured in.
Not many people have gotten the opportunity to see this, the tickets are very hard to come by unless you pay premium. I tried the daily lottery (tickets for £20) for a year then gave up.

Give it a few years and this may be as popular as Wicked/Les Mis or Phantom.

They need to release Book of Mormon similarly to Hamilton, will be the biggest hit of the year for sure. absolutely hysterical through out.

Never got a chance to see Hamilton on stage but will definitely check this out at some point, although plays don't translate very well on the screen.
Not seen many, but yeah stage stuff quite often doesn't work on the telly.

Big music stuff like this needs that live sound, but weirdly, talkies don't work well either.

However, given that so many can't get to the big theatres or pay the prices, this is only chance (or cinema screenings I suppose).

Won’t be on Disney+ that’s for sure ;)

I don't understand why there is so much critism of this review or show? You didn't like it move on...you know you weren't going to like it, after 5minutes etc etc....
Why constant knocking of it?
You don't like it, fair enough move on.
The review of this alone will make me watch it.

Hamilton is not available via the Disney+ trial. You'll have to subscribe to watch it. Disney is not stupid to give away such a big draw,
Yep they ended free trials in June.

Some of my friends were visiting London and were decent enough to get me a ticket for this not long after it opened. I didn’t really know much about it, and I found the first half quite exhausting trying to keep up with the rap lyrics and what was happening - I think I’d have enjoyed it much more if I’d listened to the soundtrack in advance.

The second half was much more accessible and really enjoyable. I had been trying to get tickets agaIn to see it without much luck.

It is worth sticking with it, one of the best productions I’ve seen in recent years.

This was absolutely brilliant - watched with the family tonight on the big screen at home, cranked up the volume and what a spectacular delight!

The costumes and sets are gorgeous and the acting and music are superb.

Can't wait to watch this live one day but for now, this will do very nicely.

Excellent as a musical demo for any decent AV set-up!

My wife just started watching it, I watched along too but to be honest I wouldn't have chosen it myself.

I'm not a fan of musicals at all, but I can appreciate the lavish productions, the skills of the singers and dancers and the catchiness of the songs and music.

But this one failed on all of those - caveat, I gave up after about 20 minutes so maybe it improves.

In general, I found the production, singing and dancing to be pretty mediocre, the songs weren't memorable at all and I found that trying to convey so much historical detail in the rap was confusing and didn't work for me.

Also found it a little strange (but not a problem) that Alexander Hamilton is played by a fairly dark-skinned Hispanic - at times I found it hard to spot Hamilton from the slaves, especially as they are all impeccably dressed in very similar fine clothes.

My wife gave up after about 30 minutes.

Cheers,

Nigel

Also found it a little strange (but not a problem) that Alexander Hamilton is played by a fairly dark-skinned Hispanic - at times I found it hard to spot Hamilton from the slaves, especially as they are all impeccably dressed in very similar fine clothes.

There are no slaves in the cast - not sure where you got that from? (Well, there is one - but very fleeting at the beginning of act 2).

There are no slaves in the cast - not sure where you got that from? (Well, there is one - but very fleeting at the beginning of act 2).

My error, I thought it was about slavery - so I assumed that the characters on the stage were in slavery. Shows my ignorance. So out of interest who are they?

Cheers,

Nigel

My error, I thought it was about slavery - so I assumed that the characters on the stage were in slavery. Shows my ignorance. So out of interest who are they?

Cheers,

Nigel

They're the people behind the American revolution - I'm assuming you ducked out before Washington appeared. It's all about the American revolution and its aftermath (using the Hamilton/Burr rivalry as the through-line).

They're the people behind the American revolution - I'm assuming you ducked out before Washington appeared. It's all about the American revolution and its aftermath (using the Hamilton/Burr rivalry as the through-line).

Oh right, so it is black cast for white characters - no problem with that (but do that when the reverse is even contemplated there is massive outcry and outrage) - totally threw me.

I stand by my particular problem that there is a lot of information being conveyed in the rap which I wasn't picking up - too much information too quickly - which is probably why I didn't appreciate who the actors were portraying.

So who are the women in their undies?

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom