Question Harmony Elite>Sony TV>Yamaha Amp>Fire TV Woes

wahman

Established Member
Reaction score
This may be a long one... if anyone can solve this issue I will be so grateful to the point of ppg-ing some mulah :'(

I am having a nightmare with my set up and since using the Harmony remote it has gotten worse. So I am willing to unplug everything and take the advice of AVF

Equipment:

TV: Sony KD-49XG8396
AV: Yamaha RX-V381
Streamer: Fire TV 4K
Remote: Harmony Elite

Current issues:
TV is connected at the ARC HDMI to the AV. When I try to use the TV and have the speakers set to Audio System it crashes and reverts to TV Speaker.
I turned off the IR blaster that turned on the AV when I turned the TV on so as to use the Harmony remote which would turn everything on. Turned off the ARC control of the sony remote volume controlling the amp too.

Just now I am using the 3 remotes, and still can't get audio to the amp through the speakers when using the TV for netflix, I have to go through the fire box and use the netflix app.

I am thinking maybe I should not use the ARC HDMI and use an optical cable?

I am really struggling and dearly want the Harmony remote to replace using all three (TV, Amp, Fire).... but I am struggling big time.

Happy to send a small money reward via paypal to whoever solves this issue!

Thanks,
iain

Harmonys always cause problems with ARC so disconnect that and replace it as you said.

Harmonys always cause problems with ARC so disconnect that and replace it as you said.

Thanks. Would I need an optical cable? I presume yes if I'm using the netflix/YouTube app on the TV?

Thanks again

An optical connection is much the best. You’re welcome:)

An optical connection is much the best. You’re welcome:)

Thank you! Big help. Happy to ppg a fiver over to you for your help 👍🏼

I have just about got it sorted. The arc thing was the issue. Just using the optical cable and hdmi1 fixed it all.

Only one issue:

I have a varilight dimmer with IR receiver for the main light in the living room. I used my old old harmony with it for on/off/dimming.

I have added the device on my new harmony. And want to change the light button on the remote for on/off, long press for brightness.

When I go into each activity (watch FireTV for example) and I can't change the button on the remote for the varilight unless I include the device in the running of the activity... Then it turns on the light for when want to watch the FireTV 🤦🏻‍♂️

Any advice? I want to run the activity... Not turning the light on. But whilst using the remote for the FireTV activity be able to just press the light button to change/turn on the light.

Thanks!!

Tell the activities that its on off command is none.
Work?:)

Tell the activities that its on off command is none.
Work?:)

Not quite sure I follow. If I make a new activity called light off and on. It then turns off the the other activities and then allows me to control the lights. But then I have to re start the FireTV activity. Don't know what is going wrong 😆

When you’re setting up Activities you get the option to specify the On/Off commands for each Device. Select “none” from the drop down list for the lights Device.

When you’re setting up Activities you get the option to specify the On/Off commands for each Device. Select “none” from the drop down list for the lights Device.
Thanks... what I needed to do was under devices add it so it was in a state where to start the activity it didnt need to be set to 'On'... so when I added it to the activity it just had an * beside it. then I could later add it as a remote button. awesome help than you so much!!!!!

You’re welcome.
It would be much easier if they issued a comprehensive instruction manual.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom