Has this happens to anyone else or am I just stupid?

athelstan

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I got my new Denon 1713 to directly replace an old Pioneer ASX2. A straightforward swap for competent AV people, for me, a nightmare that lasted hours. Beforehand I carefully labelled the speaker cables front right etc and positive and negative. Trouble is I used torn post it notes that all fell off in a heap when I knocked the wires. My cabling is all routed around the walls and I had no idea what was what. I tried my best guess and of course, 3 out of the five were wrong and phase errors all over the place. It took ages, longer than necessary because I kept confusing left rears and right rears and I had no idea re positive and negative. To top it all the receiver does not 'see' my PV1 sub at all.
I have finally got it all working but my PV1 sub remains stubbornly invisible. Any ideas re that anyone please?

Last edited:
You'll have to elaborate as to what you mean by "the receiver does not 'see' my PV1 sub"? Can you get a test tone from it, what mode are you in and did you actually configure the receiver prior to running the Audyssey set up to tell the receiver you've got a subwoofer? Was a signal audible from the sub during the Audyssey setup and what were the sub's distance and level results after the calibratio was complete?

If you can bypass the sub's auto power feature then do so and leave the power turned on.

Last edited:
Is your sub set to Auto on the power switch as that usually means it will be missed by the AVR set-up?

Thanks all, I did have my sub switched on Auto but have since tried the per manly on setting but the Audyssey set up cannot find the sub at all. I did tell it at the start that I had one. Power is on, cable secure, for some reason it just says that it cannot find a sub woofer. It tests the other speakers but when it comes to sub testing no sound comes out at all. I'm worried that the sub might be faulty?

The obvious question is did you plug the sub back into the correct socket on your new amp?

Hehehe yes. Even I cannot mistake the big hole named 'sub woofer' on the back of the denon 1713. The sub itself has the green light lit which indicates that it's switched on and the volume set at 50 percent as per on screen instructions. I haven't got another sub woofer available to confirm that the amp sub woofer socket is working correctly. This is puzzling.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom