Have you been stopped by the police while out?

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Wondering whether anyone has been stopped by the police when walking or driving anywhere?
If so what happened?

They were out down by me in Kent stopping cars and providing advice where necessary

Not personally been stopped yet, but then I'm only going to and from work, and we've had a brief that the company id will cover us with Kent, the Met & BTP on our journey.

The wife has been stopped coming back from work, but again her ID got her waved on.

Last edited:
Chances of seeing the police round here are second only to spotting flying pigs.

Last edited:
Haven’t been stopped yet (but ice only been out a couple of times). Was sat next to a motorcycle cop at the traffic lights exiting our estate the other day and wondered whether he would say anything.

I start a new job tonight and have a 40 minute drive so it wouldn’t surprise me if I get pulled over at some point in the coming weeks while heading to or from work

I am slightly concerned as my wife is an essential worker, but doesn't drive, so I take her to and from work. Am hoping that if I am stopped, they will be okay with that explanation.

I am a bit puzzled as to why anyone would think the police are going to stop you?
Surely they have far more important things to do than to stop drivers only to find out that they are going essential shopping, going to pick up a prescription, an essential worker ETC ETC.

I live in teeside and seen the cops stopping people on foot or in cars, not been stopped myself. Probably not bothering as I'm in works uniform

I am a bit puzzled as to why anyone would think the police are going to stop you?
Surely they have far more important things to do than to stop drivers only to find out that they are going essential shopping, going to pick up a prescription, an essential worker ETC ETC.
Agree 100%. The lock down ultimately relies on consent, not roadblocks.

Random stops worked here.

Two men are under arrest after their car was pulled over during the coronavirus lockdown - and was found to contain huge blocks of Class A drugs.

Merseyside Police said the suspects, aged 26 and 35, were arrested yesterday in Stanford Crescent, Halewood, shortly after 2pm.

Under strict measures announced by the government last week, police have been stopping people out in public to see if the reasons for them being out of the house were essential.

Plenty around in the south west, haven't been stopped myself but they are pulling over EVERY car going down the main road and finding out where they are going and why

Even if you don't like the man and to be honest I am not overly keen on him I think Farage was fair in some of his comments

Plenty around in the south west, haven't been stopped myself but they are pulling over EVERY car going down the main road and finding out where they are going and why

Even if you don't like the man and to be honest I am not overly keen on him I think Farage was fair in some of his comments

I think he a few fair points,about no checks at airports,madness,and about China,they are doing nothing to close down theses live illegal markets,pressure much be put on China to end them once and for all :mad:.

Links from both the Sun & Al Jazeera so not just the Sun ranting,two very different sources.

(China’s authorities have not provided any information regarding the epidemiological investigation into the Wuhan South China Seafood Market where the virus possibly jumped from animals to humans, sites where animals were raised or the supply chains, a World Health Organization (WHO) spokesperson told Al Jazeera.

The market in Wuhan was closed in January, but it is still not known what was done with any of the animals there and whether authorities were able to do a proper investigation before the facility shut down.

A spokesperson for China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs did not answer requests for further information about the investigation into the animal source when approached by Al Jazeera on March 20.)

Warrington Police posted this:

1585640883186.png

1585640930322.png

1585640959535.png

I am slightly concerned as my wife is an essential worker, but doesn't drive, so I take her to and from work. Am hoping that if I am stopped, they will be okay with that explanation.

I'm sure you would be... unless you stopped to pick up a few Easter Eggs :)

Seen a few of the ANPR/Cruisers near junction points, but not been stopped myself, only been out a couple of times for shops anyway.

I think he a few fair points,about no checks at airports,madness,and about China,they are doing nothing to close down theses live illegal markets,pressure much be put on China to end them once and for all :mad:.

Agreed, makes my blood boil on their treatment (lack) to animals and that they are responsible for the poaching of endangered species. The only thing that escapes being eaten or used as a 'medicine' is their own 'national' animal, the Panda. I digress, guess that is off topic

I’m not so enamoured with him. Society would be in bigger trouble if his hard-right views were implemented as he would like them. He slips in a few things that will appeal to the Everyman, as most politicians do to elicit some credibility, but I think he is being quite hypocritical here.

The problem is people like Farage, other than seeing this as an opportunity for personal promotion, is they think they are special and shouldn’t have to follow the same rules as anyone else. Either we have these rules, or we don’t. They apply to everyone or it doesn’t work. High profile figures should be setting an example, not making up their own rules, especially to gain attention.

Yes, it’s far from perfect. The police have never had to do anything like this before they authorities are finding their way. There is a certain amount of trail and error, and some confusion. There is no precedent and no cases law

The police are one the whole, if not being entirely consistent, are being very softly softly about this, our lockdown and policing of it, is nothing like are strict as France, Italy, China etc.

The point about policing by consent is very true. But that’s the consent of society as a whole, not any individual or political group. Only last week there was a national outcry about people ignoring the warnings and advice, and we saw record numbers of people visiting snowdonia. Locals blocking off roads. The harder lockdown was largely a response to that, and that’s what the police were asked to deal with. A week later nobody likes it now, so opinion has apparently changed.

But if the legislation isn’t wanted or required, the government should repeal it. If there is any confusion (and it is ambiguous in some parts) that’s the governments job.

Until then there will be a few hiccups and a period of ‘normalisation’ in the way things are done. These are unprecedented times, 99% of the police are just trying to do the best for everyone and considerable personal cost. But in the same way many things have been amplified by this crisis, so has the old adage that the police are damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

Last edited:
Guys consider yourself lucky. Local police in italy is patrolling the parks even in the outskirts with drones to catch joggers and fine them.

Are yours for some sort of crowd control? Because here after a couple days media social media and politicians started an hate campaign against people who went jogging that were accused of being disease spreaders that led to new laws that explicity ban going out for a walk. So now drones are used for target acquisition, meaning that a single runner one a dirt track in the fields will be seen by the drone and chased by police to fine him.

Drones:

This:

View attachment 1275518

Dear lord. Not sure what that Sargent was thinking there. Technically he is correct, criminal damage doesn’t require anything permanent. But really, some discretion needs to be applied in situations like this at a time like this. Clearly there is no criminal intent, intent probably good intent from the shop keeper.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom