HDBaseT no longer working

Alps

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Sods law has occurred yet again! The day I've been looking forward to for months and my HDBaseT decides to c0ck up!

I have the following device 617-hdcp-22-hdbaset-extender-set-70m-4k-up-to-40m-bi-directional-ir-bi-directional-poh-poe.html But all of a sudden this morning I am no longer able to change channels on my Sky Q box or use any of my other devices such as my AVR or BD Player as the IR function is no longer working. Thank goodness the TV signal is going across though. It's just the IR functionality that's not working.

I've tried turning the devices on, tried changing volume, channels, but nothing is working. It was working fine when the kids were watching TV in the morning. But when I went back to watch TV the IR function just doesn't work.

I've checked all the connections. Checked the IR position. Turned the HDBaseT off and on again. But nothing. Any help, tups, advice most welcome please.

My IR went on my hdbaset from within a month of installing it but I think that was my fault I was trying to sort something out. I actually had an alternative route for IR that I used as it happened so it wasn't something I ever got fixed...

How is the IR distributed at the far end. Have any of the IR transmitter fallen off, in the warmer weather?

Thanks Chuck. Mine us lasted 5 years. But can they go just like that? Work.one minute and gone the next?

I checked the transmitters and they're in place. The or is distributed via cat 5 I think.

Yep my hdbaset is still working 7 years on apart from the IR bit :)

I have a separate cat 5 for my IR as I need more functionality than the hdbaset offered.

But unfortunately when electronics fail they can just go out with a full loss of functionality or slow fade over time, depends on fault and design.

Did you try unplugging the IR module and checking connection.

Yep my hdbaset is still working 7 years on apart from the IR bit :)

I have a separate cat 5 for my IR as I need more functionality than the hdbaset offered.

But unfortunately when electronics fail they can just go out with a full loss of functionality or slow fade over time, depends on fault and design.

Did you try unplugging the IR module and checking connection.
The IR module is combined with the hdbaset. I did switch it all.off and back on again. But no luck. The TV signal is coming through fine. I just can't control any of my AV equipment as that's all in the hallway. Thankfully the sky Q is Bluetooth 😁

I might have a spare set of ir cables somewhere. If I find them I'll try swapping them over in the hope that works.

Yes I know that is combined (like mine was) but it is still a separate box that plugs into a 3.5mm connector. Meant check that was in properly :)

Have you confirmed that CEC is not enabled on any of your devices - that could be locking out the IR control.

Alos worth double checking small fingers have not been having a play with any of the kit - easy enough to mix up the TX and RX IR sockets.

Joe

I did change my Sky q settings the night before as for some.reason dolby digital had turned itself off. But the morning after the kids were happily sky and using the Harmony remote without any issues. I then came along and turned everything off via the remote. That worked. But it's when I returned later to turn it on again it was broken!

Guys, I thankfully found a spare IR emitter and tried it. All now seems to be working well. I also checked the CEC settings on my devices and Joe Fernand you were correct - one of my devices (TV) had reset itself to On. But this made no difference in this instance to the IR.

Now I need to order a 3 way emitter as the one I'm.using onky has 1.

Thank you gents for your help in all of this. As always, it's very much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom