Question HDMI over CAT6

Breaking Dad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I would like to be able to view images from my CCTV system over my TV in the kitchen diner. The CCTV DVR is situated in a cupboard away from the TV and I would like to use the existing CAT 6 cabling between the two devices to send the live image from the recorder to the TV. I know there are various HDMI to CAT 6 extenders/ adapters on the market but the reviews seem to be very hit and miss as to whether they work or not. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of set up, and could possibly recommend an adapter that will do the job? The DVR outputs the image via VGA or HDMI. Cheers!

Does the DVR have any kind of user interface that will allow a media player to stream from it in real time...? Some DVR's (for example) have a web interface.

People here have done HDMI over UTP, (I haven't,) but it is much, much higher frequency and data volume than ethernet so the cabling needs to be top notch and installed to all the required installation stipulations (there's more to it than just buying catX cables.)

If your DVR offeres an interface that you can access with a reguar media player (which of course, you'll need to buy and install in your kitchen,) that could be done over regular ethernet.

Stick with extenders that use the HDBaseT standard and you should be good to go. I’ve been a user and installer of HDBaseT products since they launched, over all kinds of Cat5e and Cat6 cable (even CCA rubbish when dealing with cabling installed by others) and have rarely managed to get HDBaseT at 1080p working even over long lengths of cable.

Stick with extenders that use the HDBaseT standard and you should be good to go. I’ve been a user and installer of HDBaseT products since they launched, over all kinds of Cat5e and Cat6 cable (even CCA rubbish when dealing with cabling installed by others) and have rarely managed to get HDBaseT at 1080p working even over long lengths of cable.
Thanks for the advice re the extenders, I think this would be the simplest solution rather than the web interface route. Could you point me in the direction of one of their products that will do the job? there seems to be many variants and I want it as simple as possible. HDMI out to HDMI in via CAT6. Cheers

Does the DVR have any kind of user interface that will allow a media player to stream from it in real time...? Some DVR's (for example) have a web interface.

People here have done HDMI over UTP, (I haven't,) but it is much, much higher frequency and data volume than ethernet so the cabling needs to be top notch and installed to all the required installation stipulations (there's more to it than just buying catX cables.)

If your DVR offeres an interface that you can access with a reguar media player (which of course, you'll need to buy and install in your kitchen,) that could be done over regular ethernet.
Hi, not sure about the web intreface on the DVR, I'd have to do some digging. I currently use the XIQ Mobile CMS app to access the images. What sort of Media player did you have in mind for the kitchen?

Here’s a link to a set from Amazon
UltraHD HDMI Extender HDBaseT Bi-directional PoE & IR Remote, Uncompressed 4Kx2K@60Hz/30Hz over Single CAT5e/6/7, HDCP2.2 Compliant, RS-232, HDR, Dobly Vision, 70M 1080P, 40M 4K, Dolby Atmos, DTS, CEC https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N5BWOAZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WyNwEb9A227KA

The HDAnywhere XTemd range can also be good value.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
UltraHD HDMI Extender HDBaseT Bi-directional PoE & IR Remote, Uncompressed 4Kx2K@60Hz/30Hz over Single CAT5e/6/7, HDCP2.2 Compliant, RS-232, HDR, Dobly Vision, 70M 1080P, 40M 4K, Dolby Atmos, DTS, CEC https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N5BWOAZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WyNwEb9A227KA

Hi, thanks for this advice, but I was just thinking whether this extender would be slight overkill just to carry CCTV images. I was hoping to get something under the £50 mark that would do the job. Also what is the IR remote for if I would just be switching via HDMI on the TV? Sorry for all the questions but the more you read about this subject the more involved it seems to get. The signal only need to travel about 10m. Thanks

If you only need to go 10m then just run a HDMI cable, and it will be just fine at the resolution you need.

The HDBaseT extenders are designed to run decode and transmit video, multi-channel audio, and control signals over the cat-cable, at distances upto 70m or more, and by historical standards are now quite cheap (they used to be £300-£400 per set when the technology first launched).

You can also have difficulties using extenders over short cable runs as this is not normally a usage case they are designed for.

If you only need to go 10m then just run a HDMI cable, and it will be just fine at the resolution you need.

The HDBaseT extenders are designed to run decode and transmit video, multi-channel audio, and control signals over the cat-cable, at distances upto 70m or more, and by historical standards are now quite cheap (they used to be £300-£400 per set when the technology first launched).

You can also have difficulties using extenders over short cable runs as this is not normally a usage case they are designed for.
Unfortunately I cannot get a HDMI cable from the location of the DVR to the TV. All the cabling and CAT 6 was put in during extensive building work carried out a couple of years ago. Not putting a HDMI cable in at the time was an oversight on my part, which is why I am trying to utilise some spare CAT 6 cabling I already have installed between the two locations.

I've only used extenders for Sky/Youview/Roku/HTPC etc rather than a CCTV system but found the cheap ones made by Neet sold on Amazon worked fine in a basic set up. The ones I had used two runs of Cat 5/6 so I've since upgraded to Gefen (or Octava...I can't remember which!) that only use a single run and these also work perfectly fine but are considerably more expensive. It's worth keeping an eye on ebay though.

I'm using these to extend a Sky box HDMI output to another room and it works fine. Distance is approx 25-30m in cable. I've also used these (same kit but slightly different version) to extend an HDMI output from a DVR to another TV, approx 30m.

I'm using these to extend a Sky box HDMI output to another room and it works fine. Distance is approx 25-30m in cable. I've also used these (same kit but slightly different version) to extend an HDMI output from a DVR to another TV, approx 30m.
Thanks for this info. Could you tell me what the IR remote is used for?

In my case it allows the Sky remote control to be used in the other room yet still control the sky box. In the far room the IR receiver sees the button presses from the remote and sends them to the transmitter in the local room (over the cat5/6 cable as well as the HDMI signal), which you point at the device you want to control.

Ok, well I bought one of the extenders suggested (Ex-Pro® 60m AV-Pro Micro Extender HDMI 1080p Over: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo) and at first it seemed to work. The connection was a bit flaky, so occasionally went off, then back on again but overall it was usable. Then once I had put everything back in position it stopped working. The light on the extender at the DVR end was now flashing meaning no signal, and no picture on the TV. I tried 3 other HDMI cables, and swapped out the RJ45 lead as well, still nothing. I have tested the CAT 6 connection and all the lights on the tester flash as they should so I'm at a loss to explain why it worked initially and then not. So unfortunately it will be going back. In the meantime If anyone has any idea what is going on I'm open to suggestions. Thanks as always.

That's annoying. Did you use the reset button on the far end unit? Is your Cat6 run one continuous length, i.e. no patch panel or joints, and terminated onto plugs directly?

Initially when first connected there was no image, and extender light was flashing. Pressing the reset button seemed to sort it out and the image appeared on the TV, and extender light was on. I think you may have hit the nail on the head though, as I am connecting via a patch panel at the DVR end and a wall socket at the TV end. Even though the connection checks out using the tester, I think all the connections might be the problem. I might try disconnecting the CAT 6 cable from the patch panel and terminating with a plug and see whether that helps. Its just a lot of faff if it still doesn't work though.

I am using the same one for my set up to send the CCTV image from my NVR in the network cabinet upstairs through cat6 cabling in the walls to my TV in the lounge. I can confirm this product has been working flawlessly for me for about a year now to send 4K resolution CCTV video from my NVR to my TV downstairs.. you can see the little box sitting on top of my NVR in the pic below.

B75B5F24-6006-499B-A319-1477DA3C1680.jpeg

Last edited:
This looks great. What is the USB on the front of the hikvision?

Its a wireless dongle for a mouse. The interface can be directly controlled from the TV in the lounge using a mouse. But I mostly adjust the settings via the web interface on my PC.

Its a wireless dongle for a mouse. The interface can be directly controlled from the TV in the lounge using a mouse. But I mostly adjust the settings via the web interface on my PC.
Hi, how do you find the Hikvision system? I have an Xvision DVR and just one camera at the moment. I've never invested any more money in it because I'm just not convinced by the user interface and connectivity. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom