HDMI Passthrough (Denon AVR-X2400H)

Slider09

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question on HDMI passthrough.
Currently, I have the HDMI from my Sky HD box going into a powered splitter, then one feed to my living room TV and a second to my TV in the kitchen.

I have just purchased a Denon AVR-X2400H receiver and was wondering if I connect my Sky HD box directly to the amp instead of the splitter, could the second HDMI out port provide a signal to my kitchen TV instead of using the splitter? Even when the receiver is off, will it passthrough audio and video through BOTH HDMI ports?

Thanks

I think this would work while the receiver is in standby and HDMI passthrough is enabled.

However you won't get any sound on the second TV when the amp is on, you can swap between TV speakers and the amp for sound but you won't get both.

Is there a chance you could upgrade to the 3400. This has a proper zone 2 HDMI output which would do what you want (and allow you to watch other sources in the main room at the same time)

I think this would work while the receiver is in standby and HDMI passthrough is enabled.

However you won't get any sound on the second TV when the amp is on, you can swap between TV speakers and the amp for sound but you won't get both.

Is there a chance you could upgrade to the 3400. This has a proper zone 2 HDMI output which would do what you want (and allow you to watch other sources in the main room at the same time)

Thanks for the reply.
I have already purchased the 2400. It's not a massive issue, I will just have to keep using the splitter and connect the Sky HD box to the receiver via optical as I currently do now.

Just out of interest, can't the amp be set to AMP+TV for the sound output? My current 12 years + old Sony 820 can?

You'd only be able to passthrough audio to the kitchen TV whilst the AV receiver is in standby. THe DEnon does include a passthrough option that would include the audio while the receiver was powered up, but this also results in the receiver itself not processing or amplifying the audio. You can't have both audio via both the AV receiver and the kitchen TV if passing the audio through the Denon AV receiver.

Just out of interest, can't the amp be set to AMP+TV for the sound output? My current 12 years + old Sony 820 can?

No. It is either via the amp or via the TV and not both simultaneously if using a Denon receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom