HDMI Zone and Sony STR-DN1080

gavilav

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at buying the Sony STR DN-1080 specifically for the HDMI Zone additional output. My current set up has a 4K projector (Benq W2700) which is capable of its own version of HDR10 and an LG OledB9 TV which is 4K and capable of HDR and Dolby Vision.

I have a range of 4K sources (Sony Blu Ray, Sky Q, Apple TV) and using my current Pioneer VSX-933 AV receiver and an HDMI Splitter I can watch 4K HDR on either the LG TV or the Benq Projector. My understanding is that, due to EDID, the signal defaults to 4K HDR (and not Dolby Vision) because that is the best capability of the Projector. The signal defaults to the “lowest“ possible piece of equipment - in my case the Benq. I can’t, however, get Dolby Vision on the LG tv.

I would like to, if possible, get a Dolby Vision signal on the LG tv when watching that instead of the projector.

I have read lots about Zone 2 and HDMI Zone and am a bit confused.

I know I could use the Sony STR DN-1080 and connect one HDMI output to the LG tv and one HDMI output to the Benq. If I did this could I watch 4K HDR on the Benq AND 4K Dolby Vision on the LG tv? (Not at the same time! It would be one or the other!) Would the second HDMI Zone act separately from the other output? Or would EDID still ensure I can only get 4K HDR on both screens?

thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom