HDR10+ Question

JohnDoe2020

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
Long time follower of AVForums for well over 12+ years. Just never posted. At least I don't remember.. Anyways, my question is related to how the new Samsung 2019 QLED series states that they support HDR10+. How is that possible though if the HDMI ports on the TV's are HDMI 2.0. Per the HDMI Wikipedia, HRD10+ is not supported till HDMI 2.1. Do I have my facts straight or am I missing something.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

HDR10+ is available on HDMI 2.0 as a feature. But is only guaranteed to work properly on HDMI 2.1; as far as I'm aware.

Similar to how ALLM works on 2.0, but is a 2.1 feature.

Last edited:
There’s very few 4K discs that have hdr10+, it’s mostly used by Amazon.

>>HDR10+ is available on HDMI 2.0 as a feature

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. "Feature" is an interesting choice of words. Just odd that Samsung states that but then only utilizes HDMI 2.0.

I found an article that pretty much states what you mentioned.

>>
HDMI 2.1 brings dynamic HDR performance to other flavors, including the dynamic version of HDR10, known as HDR10+ and others, which should bring better HDR experiences to more TVs and more formats.

But wait, isn’t HDR10+ already possible using HDMI 2.0b? Technically, yes, but it’s not an officially supported technology when done over HDMI 2.0b. HDMI 2.1 makes it official, which in turn should make it highly reliable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom