Headset recommendations

TEROKNOR

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get some ideas/thoughts off people regarding gaming headset. I have a PS4 that I want them to work with. I want to see what people's thought on the pros and cons for wired and wireless??
To be honest I'm not fussed either way as long as it give a good quality sound.

I look forward to all your thoughts

Many thanks

Suppose it depends on how much you really want to spend.

I would go with the official Sony gold's myself. Both me and the Mrs use them and they are great imo

They are often for sale for £50

shopping.jpeg

Thanks for your reply Barry_ These were the first pair I went straight to to start off with. I like the idea of having them match to the PS4. One of my concerns was that the pictures don't really show how big the cups are. They don't look big enough to go over the ear. Which I should of said in my original post, over the ear is desirable.
Also will these work with PC/laptop (jack cable?) it will be good to be able to use them for Skype/Zoom meetings?
How is it for noise canceling and how can be heard from the the outside?

They sit over my ears, I would say I have medium sized ears lol

It comes with a 3.5mm cable to plug into phone/laptop etc. Should imagine be fine for Skype etc - never actually thought not using them lol been using wires mobile phone headphones myself.

Noise cancelling is ok, not sure what u mean on last bit.. if u mean can u hear Doorbell etc then no not really (depends on how loud it is and how loud your audio is) or if u mean noise leaking then no idea...

Sorry, I was talking about noise leaking from the headset. So how much can be heard by someone while I'm using them playing. My existing HyperX ones can be heard.
Are you able to find out the size of the cup? So I can compare with ones I have???

Hopefully this will help to some degree

IMG_20200516_235906.jpg
IMG_20200516_235943.jpg

Thanks for those pictures, they will really help.

Is there anyone else who has their opinions on a headset??

Thanks for the recommendation on the Hyper X Cloud Alphas, CaptnSpaulding. If they are anything like the ones I already have then I'm sure they will be good.

Is there anyone else who has their opinions on a headset??

the sony, ps4 wireless stereo headset 2.0 are pretty good.

older style but the build and sound quality is great. they also have a built in mic and when the battery runs out you can continue using the headset/mic via connecting to the ps4 controller.

only downside is that they run off a usb dongle, which does also work on a pc but it doesnt directly connect to a smart tv.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the Sony Platinum wireless headset. Worth the jump Up from the Gold ones???

I use the turtle beach stealth 700 and find them to be of excellent quality. The surround sound shines through on them. I also have a set of the 600s and the difference between them is negligible. Thwy both use a USB dongle however the 700s also use an optical cable into the dongle. Very comfy and long sessions are a breeze.

Whatever you do, do NOT buy the sony platinum headset. I gave my golds to a friend And paid a hundred quid for hot ears and a painful head. They sound exactly the same but are the most uncomfortable, flimsy and overpriced POS hive ever bought. People giving these things 5* must be delude clueless fanboys. Golds are fine, even with the deteriorating ear pads.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the Sony Platinum wireless headset. Worth the jump Up from the Gold ones???
No, seriously mate, they’re turd.
I saw the thread and came to try and stop anyone wasting their hard earned or I’d have replied to your post.

To be honest I'm not fussed if I have official Sony headset for the PS4 as long as it is of good quality and can be used on my laptop be either via a cable or wireless. My current HyperX are cable and I've had no issues with that, except being "tied" to the controller...

To be honest I'm not fussed if I have official Sony headset for the PS4 as long as it is of good quality and can be used on my laptop be either via a cable or wireless. My current HyperX are cable and I've had no issues with that, except being "tied" to the controller...
I'd wait for the PS5 and see what Tempest compatible headphones are available.

I was thinking that as well but I'm not sure I could wait that long. I find it hard to believe that any current headset wouldn't be able to work with the PS5?!?!?

Well I’m sure mark cerny said something about it being compatible with current sony headphones but I could be wrong.

I use the turtle beach stealth 700 and find them to be of excellent quality. The surround sound shines through on them. I also have a set of the 600s and the difference between them is negligible. Thwy both use a USB dongle however the 700s also use an optical cable into the dongle. Very comfy and long sessions are a breeze.

Thanks for this. I have been thinking of these too. Seeing as they are very similar to each other, which one will work on PC/Laptop as well? And if they do how will the connect? cable into USB dongle or a cable directly to the laptop?

I've not used them in oc so wouldn't knkw to be honest mate. I'd imagine it would be just with the dongle.

I've the gold official ones, they are comfy and sound great but the padding around the ears is flaking away quite bad.

I'm being drawn towards either the Turtle Beach 600 or 700, with the 700 peaking ahead slightly. I like the little added features it has over the 600.
Anyone have any comments on these??

Damn my indecisiveness!!! I've been watching to many Headset reviews and now I'm back to square one! 🤦‍♂️
If I think about it what I really want is good quality sound (7.1/Surround sound a bonus) a good wireless connection that is easy to connect to the PS4/5 and PC for Zoom meetings and watching videos.

I don't know if this help give a better idea to what's out there?

Still recommend the Sony gold's 👍

There was a pair in the classifieds for £32 but just checked and sold already (not surprised)

Still recommend the Sony gold's 👍

There was a pair in the classifieds for £32 but just checked and sold already (not surprised)
Do the Gold's only work on laptop with the 3.5mm cable or will they work over BT/Wireless?
And sound quality on the PS4 is good? picks up a good range of noises??

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom