Question Hello, I'm an idiot...please help me choose a Projector.

CaptainFunTimes

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need help. Stated above I'm an idiot. I work with my hands, figure out all sorts of complicated things all day but when it comes to technology I think my brain has not quite evolved from a Cave Man.

With that said I'm looking to buy a projector for the first time. Was hoping you guys could answer a few of my questions and recommend the right one for my needs. I usually research the living daylights out of products before I buy, but this one has me going in circles.

BUDGET: (around $600)

ROOM SETUP: It's a smallish room - about 12 feet from the couch to the wall I'll be projecting on.
I do not wish to mount this projector permanently. (We're renting and my wife would definitely think it would ugly up the room)

WHAT I HAVE TO WORK WITH: I have a IMAC, a Samsung Smart TV, Wii and wireless internet.

WHAT I WANT TO DO: I would like to host people over for films, watch LIVE SPORTS with my digital antenna, Stream (Hulu, Amazon, Netflix) which I do on my smart tv, and play old school video games (NES, Wii) I own no Blu-Ray anything. Honestly, have a lot of standard DVD's and VHS's.

WHY I'M LOST: I'm not sure how to stream? Do I just stream from my small TV and plug an HDMI cable into the projector? (Or from my Imac?)
Imagine I pull the projector out for a late night movie -- trying to do as least amount of setup and extra chords as possible. - I noticed the AMAZON FIRE STICK (on sale for $34) - can I just plug that sucker in and get streaming video?

WHAT I'VE LEARNED:

I guess I narrowed it down to two brands: Epson or Optima.
And I'm thinking what I would want is a short throw projector for my needs - one I can put on the coffee table or make a stand for. This is the one that kept coming up on a lot of TOP PICKS:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M9D4CAK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

SOOOOO many reviews sooooo many different opinions its insane.... I'd rather have usability, ease of use if it's the case of a small difference in quality only the most gifted eyes can pick up.

But, with that said I don't want to buy 5 year old technology, I might want to hook up a Blu-Ray soon, and get the best bang for my buck.

AUDIO: Thinking of a standard 2.1 sound bar. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SMBG8QY/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Trying to think: LESS WIRES! Would I need to plug this into my projector every time OR do I plug this into my TV and run everything through that? (Is this an idiotic question?) Do I need an Apple TV, Roku, or any other products?

Ahhhhh Sorry I'm so stupid you guys. This is all so confusing to me. I just feel like things should be simpler, less wires, less options, bluetooth the shit out of everything, I just want to watch a freaking movie, ya know.

Please HELP.

Photo attached - would like to project on wall above credenza.

Erick

Attachments

• image1 (1).JPG
    image1 (1).JPG
    483.5 KB · Views: 78
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom