Question Help booting 2009 iMac Snow Leopard.

Anberlin1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help here. I will take it to a local pic repair chap but just wondered if anyone could help before I do so. I've never owned an Apple product (no specific reason for this) but I've just been given an iMac OSX 10.6 (I think) Snow Leopard with the hard drive missing/ removed. No Apple keyboard or mouse sadly but do have normal PC USB ones I can use. The problem is it powers on and chimes, I can hear the fan and see a green light through the case when viewed from the bottom. I'm of the understanding the DVD with the picture of the Snow Leopard is in the CD drive. Any ideas at all on how can I boot this but I'm also aware it could just be Donald Ducked. Thanks in advance.

Obviously with no hard drive an install disk is not going to do much, but you can bring up the menu to choose the boot device by holding down Alt on startup.

Obviously with no hard drive an install disk is not going to do much, but you can bring up the menu to choose the boot device by holding down Alt on startup.
It's not working I'm afraid. Is this as I hear the chime? Because at this point the Mac isn't recognising the keyboard. It takes about 20 seconds after the chime before I can toggle caps lock and see the indicator light.

You could try plugging in a USB keyboard if that's a bluetooth one.

Although if you're not seeing anything at all I suspect it's probably borked (or perhaps the screen cable wasn't reconnected when the drive was removed).

Can I manually eject the disk in the CD drive even though its not booting? There's no eject button?!
You could try plugging in a USB keyboard if that's a bluetooth one.

Although if you're not seeing anything at all I suspect it's probably borked (or perhaps the screen cable wasn't reconnected when the drive was removed).
Oooh, now screen cable is a good shout. Logic would say that's why after 20 seconds I can toggle the caps lock on and off as its booted and I'm at a login screen (albeit I can't see it). Using a USB keyboard.

The model number is A1225 and as you'll know and I can clearly see it's one of those where the full screen doesn't need removing. So I guess the above is unlikely. Any further suggestions of that I could try?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom