HELP- green spot in middle of LG OLED

rdaufan

Standard Member
Reaction score
TV is an LG 55 inch about a year old. Recently I started seeing a green hue in the center of the screen- particularly when the picture had something orange or yellow on it (including faces). I have reset all picture settings, but it is still there on all picture modes. Before I call LG, wanted to see if anyone else has this issue or knows how I can correct. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180223_115000.jpg
    20180223_115000.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15,805
On a white screen, it is a blueish hue in the middle of the screen. In reading, some banding is considered normal, but this seems excessive to me and seems to have started recently.

On a white screen, it is a blueish hue in the middle of the screen. In reading, some banding is considered normal, but this seems excessive to me and seems to have started recently.

Have you tried running a 'Clear Panel Noise' cycle ?.

TV is an LG 55 inch about a year old. Recently I started seeing a green hue in the center of the screen- particularly when the picture had something orange or yellow on it (including faces). I have reset all picture settings, but it is still there on all picture modes. Before I call LG, wanted to see if anyone else has this issue or knows how I can correct. Thanks!
Contact LG or your retailer. Definitely not normal :(

So a tech came by this morning and immediately saw the blue/green "blob" in the middle of my screen- it actually extends outward and is fairly large. He got LG on a video call and they viewed the screen problem. He advised the issue is caused by excessive heat in the panel, and they have updated the panel to address this issue. New panel should be here this week and hopefully installed by the weekend. I'm glad I did not get any push back from LG.

Omg I have the exact same issue but even worst, LG Direct is coming Monday to look at it, hopefully I get the same solution as you. It’s awful to watch TV, skin tones are bad.

Attachments

• BCBB736A-B57A-4E3D-9CE8-25012DC69E66.jpeg
    BCBB736A-B57A-4E3D-9CE8-25012DC69E66.jpeg
    834.1 KB · Views: 17,290
Excessive heat? Isn't that what the ABL is meant to guard against?

Is this a 2017 panel with the less aggressive dimming?

Excessive heat? Isn't that what the ABL is meant to guard against?

Is this a 2017 panel with the less aggressive dimming?
Hi yeah my model is a B7A (2017) 55", LG Direct, came today and are having a new panel installed. And replacing the "chassis" according to the parts list. He had to call LG and send pictures of the issue, he was a LG employee, not a contractor. He didn't really explain how or why it happened.

Its worrying because it looks to be overheating not from the panel itself but from the processing part of the tv (around back) if that’s the case and the guts of the tv are overheating then swapping the panel is only buying time until it starts again.

Same thing happened to my LG OLED 65C7P. I discovered it 2 weeks after my 1 year warranty expired. I wonder if LG will extend the warranty and repair this problem for me. This is clearly a design problem if it is happening to lots of people.

Attachments

• LG OLED65C7PU Defect.jpg
    LG OLED65C7PU Defect.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12,787
i have the same problem on a sony kd 55 oled tv which i bought in the black friday deals .and it started when i had a message come on the screen when i was powering it off at night saying it was going to start a screen refresh and would take about an hour .so the next morning it started with this green hue in the middle of the screen which i cannot get rid of

20190324_091105.jpg
20190324_091125.jpg 20190324_091105.jpg Similar problem with dec 2016 LG OLED65B6V
First time post here.
I have tried usual things and complete power down. This appeared suddenly.
Purchased from Richer Sounds so will report back how their 5 year warranty goes!.
Anyone seen this before?

Last edited:
I just noticed the same problem with my 55oled. I called lg and sent them a picture. I am waiting for them to get back to me. My tv is 18 months old. I will let you know what happenS

Attachments

• 5832DD1B-3419-437B-A985-D63E65CE2EEC.jpeg
    5832DD1B-3419-437B-A985-D63E65CE2EEC.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6,890
My 18 month old OLED just started putting a green bar towards the bottom of the screen. Called LG sent the photo in today, I hope they help me.

Ok to update my tv. I called LG repair in the beginning of April. They asked several questions and asked me to go to a yellow screen on u tube the photo in the beginning shows what it looked like. I sent that to them in a email. They sent a email that said they would respond in 3-5 days. I received a another email that said my appointment with my service man had been canceled. I called to see what was going on, was told the service company they gave it to turned down the repair because they were too far away. I was assured they would have somebody else call. Several days later I had another email with a name and number of a repair guy. He was located and hour and half away. He called and asked what the problem was I told him he asked me to send him pictures when I got home. I sent several later that day. He called the next day and said LG was sending a new screen and he would be in touch. He was here today and installed the new screen I am so pleased with LG for stepping up and repairing my tv. It was 18 months old they have made me a customer forever.

Attachments

• 4D32032B-C99E-4FBD-A610-95FE784E7AB8.jpeg
    4D32032B-C99E-4FBD-A610-95FE784E7AB8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8,553
Last edited:
Remember you have the consumer regulations act (Replaces sales of goods act) and EU warranty rules that allow you to go beyond a "12" month warranty. A premium tv failing after 18 months is not fit for purpose. The liability is with the retailer though, not the manufacturer.

I have a LG 2017 LG 55 in with the same problem. Called LG who said the new screen would cost over £1000. I think this is a fault with the 2017 model but my TV is just over 2 years old and out of warranty. I love the tv but when I change it I'm going to Costco as they give a 5 years guarantee with no extra cost.

I have a LG 2017 LG 55 in with the same problem. Called LG who said the new screen would cost over £1000. I think this is a fault with the 2017 model but my TV is just over 2 years old and out of warranty. I love the tv but when I change it I'm going to Costco as they give a 5 years guarantee with no extra cost.

You need to go back to the retailer not LG and state your TV is not fit for purpose. This is a premium TV product and should last longer than a few years.

Me too: OLED65B6P-U (bought new in 2017).

When the LG repairman came out, he said he has never seen this before. When he returned about 3 weeks later to install a new panel (thank you LG), he said he has since seen 5 or 6 other OLED TVs with the same problem. Likewise, when I first saw this thread there was only one owner who also had this problem.

This is all to say, as time goes on, more and more people are going to start having this problem.

Add my 55C7 to the list. Bought Nov 2017 so 18 months old.
Almost exact same pattern as Bradleyaclarke. I got it from Richer Sounds so has a 6 year warranty.
I started noticing it this weekend while watching football. The grass in the middle was greener/blue-er. Then i noticed peoples faces looked greenish as they entered the middle of the screen. Once seen it is now impossible to miss. The weird thing is white scenes still look ok.
I've just watched some RGB test patterns on youtube and yellow/purple patterns show it the most. This has come on suddenly as i checked mine when this thread was first started and although not perfect was ok.
Can i just check. I should contact Richers first? I've taken a picture, is there anything else they will need?
I assume somebody will have to come check first. It's wall mounted and i don't want to remove it until they are changing the panel.
Then a few weeks later they will come back to change the panel?
Real shame as i was very happy with it. It does have some blue/yellow tinting, but nothing i saw in content.
I suppose the good thing is i start with a brand new panel again!

Last edited:
My is fixed. Got a new screen from LG. Thanks to LG for doing the right thing.

Well i've contacted Richer Sounds, and it looks like i have to jump through some hoops before they will help.
I have to run the pixel refresher TEN TIMES!!! WTF??? Do they now just make it up as they go along? Even LG only require you only to run it five times before sending a technician.
This is NOT image retention, so running the refresher will not fix it. If anything, it will destroy/wear the panel. This is fine if they then replace the panel, if not, then they have harmed my TV.

I have better thing to do than waste 10 hours of my life running this thing all week.
I then have to take pictures of actual "real time" content. It has to be with natural lighting, and varied images. What is the point of this? How does sending them content that hides the issue any use other than for them to reject the repair because they cannot see it?
My pictures of a yellow or purple test image show they problem clearly.
Remember, this isn't to get them to change the panel, this is to get them to send somebody out to have a look.

If anybody from Richer Sounds is reading this:
I have a 6 year warranty. I'm reporting a fault. You don't want me to bring the TV back to store because it is over 39".
I'm not here to conduct YOUR tests. I shouldn't have to spend a week conducting these tests.
I shouldn't have to take a load of pictures and email them to you. The TV is faulty. Send somebody out to bloody test it. Even once somebody comes out, i will then have to wait for another visit to change the panel.
I feel i'm being grabbed by the bollocks and have to play along with this charade otherwise you won't fix my TV. I felt there was no point arguing with the guy on the phone, so have agreed to do these long winded procedures (waste of my time).

My TV has most of the OLED quirks like slight yellow/blue staining, some slight vertical banding. Yet i didn't go through multiple panels to try and find the perfect one. I just watched normal content and it rarely showed any problems. But this issue is in real content. It is a fault that wasn't there even two months ago.
Costco are getting my business next time. No messing about with them.

Last edited:
Well i've contacted Richer Sounds, and it looks like i have to jump through some hoops before they will help.
I have to run the pixel refresher TEN TIMES!!! WTF??? Do they now just make it up as they go along? Even LG only require you only to run it five times before sending a technician.
This is NOT image retention, so running the refresher will not fix it. If anything, it will destroy/wear the panel. This is fine if they then replace the panel, if not, then they have harmed my TV.

I have better thing to do than waste 10 hours of my life running this thing all week.
I then have to take pictures of actual "real time" content. It has to be with natural lighting, and varied images. What is the point of this? How does sending them content that hides the issue any use other than for them to reject the repair because they cannot see it?
My pictures of a yellow or purple test image show they problem clearly.
Remember, this isn't to get them to change the panel, this is to get them to send somebody out to have a look.

If anybody from Richer Sounds is reading this:
I have a 6 year warranty. I'm reporting a fault. You don't want me to bring the TV back to store because it is over 39".
I'm not here to conduct YOUR tests. I shouldn't have to spend a week conducting these tests.
I shouldn't have to take a load of pictures and email them to you. The TV is faulty. Send somebody out to bloody test it. Even once somebody comes out, i will then have to wait for another visit to change the panel.
I feel i'm being grabbed by the bollocks and have to play along with this charade otherwise you won't fix my TV. I felt there was no point arguing with the guy on the phone, so have agreed to do these long winded procedures (waste of my time).

My TV has most of the OLED quirks like slight yellow/blue staining, some slight vertical banding. Yet i didn't go through multiple panels to try and find the perfect one. I just watched normal content and it rarely showed any problems. But this issue is in real content. It is a fault that wasn't there even two months ago.
Costco are getting my business next time. No messing about with them.

Hi there,

I was obviously most concerned to read that you've been having problems and offer my sincere apologies.

To resolve the matter I've sent you a PM requesting more information.

Many thanks

John Clayton
Operations Director
Richer Sounds

I'm still running the 10 Pixel Refresher as directed by RS. I'm doing one at night and another in the morning. I've forgotten a few times so this is extending the days until i can get back to them. It hasn't made one bit of difference to the green patch in the middle of the screen.
LG themselve state not to run the Refresher unless absolutely necessary as it can cause wear and possible damage to the screen.
I'm getting worried that Richers may somehow reject the repair and i end up with a faulty TV that has been made worse by running too many Pixel Refreshes.
LG themselves are changing panels as they say it's a known heat fault that has been addressed in the software. Do RS have to pay for a panel change or do LG cover them? (it's older than 12 months etc)
As i said earlier, this green patch wasn't there a few months a go. My Panel does have a few OLED issues that i can live with. I don't need a "perfect" panel.
I'm not happy that i might be at the mercy of somebody else's opinion of what is acceptable.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom