Help needed getting started with smart lights

das7769

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am looking to set up a smart light system - lights only, with wall switches & plugs. I have no current smart devices or system. I'm most interested in setting up profiles to have lights come on & off at set times (rather than motion detection, etc.) and controlling it via an app, as I don't use Alexa or Google assistant.

What should I be looking at? What's most cost-effective? Do I need a hub? Wi-fi best, or better to use some other protocol like Z-wave or the like?

Thanks for any help!

Really going to depend on budget

lowcost WiFi sonoff

Medium cost Zwave with hub

after that Philips hue

and then onto mid to high end such as Lutron

Where are you? Do you know if your light switches have neutral present or just live and a switched return?

I've tried loads of smart switches of various flavours and unless there's a neutral present they can be problematic IMO.

Having experienced Philips Hue I wouldn't go for anything else below a properly integrated Lutron or higher end equvalent. I really wasn't a fan of the smart bulb concept but I'm fully sold now.

I’d go for Philips Hue but use the iConnectHue app to control them and any switches. Much, much easier and more comprehensive control.

I don’t like hue as you lose the normal light switch which you can keep with sonoff and Zwave

If you have a Neutral at the switch there are lots of options open to you. Fibaro ZWave or Shelly WiFi are the first that come to mind.
Personally I will never install or work on an installation with Sonoff. Have a look at few photos from around the web. then you decide if you would want these in your house.

1595629814517.png

1595629878484.png

1595629943623.png

1595630045580.png

1595630396287.png

And that CE Mark - it is fake. None of their equipment is tested by Notified Bodies. I have asked them several times for a copy of their Declaration of Conformity for their products and they keep pointing me at some dodgy chinese certificates that are worthless. Am I qualified to make these judgements? - I am a Certified Machinery Safety Expert - Registered with a Notified Body, you decide.

I have z-wave for pretty much what you describe. I like that I have switches that work independently
some lights come on/off at set times and the kids’ bathroom light is linked to a motion sensor and comes on dimmed at night. A couple of other things as well but not much.
i know I’m under-using the capabilities of the hub, but I wanted something that I can play with and build over time. I also didn’t want something dependant on web servers (had Samsung smart hub for a trial first and was put off that).
as others have said, neutral at switch can make a difference to your choice.

For me as an installer for low to middle end jobs

the light switch just also being a light switch is key , the granny factor as we call it

We’ve made the switch many years ago to hue. I was very worried about the light switch element, there is a thread on here somewhere about it.

In reality it is a non issue in my experience, including the granny factor as I also referred to it originally. When light automation is properly automated it really is a non existent issue as the light do what they need to do before you even think about it. Today is a great example when it was very dark at moments of time, the lights just come on in daylight mode and augment to compensate what is lacking naturally. Now it is light again and they go off. Later tonight before the sun sets they’ll come on automatically again.

The only time we override is when going to bed and we have like a hotel master switch for it.

We’ve made the switch many years ago to hue. I was very worried about the light switch element, there is a thread on here somewhere about it.

In reality it is a non issue in my experience, including the granny factor as I also referred to it originally. When light automation is properly automated it really is a non existent issue as the light do what they need to do before you even think about it. Today is a great example when it was very dark at moments of time, the lights just come on in daylight mode and augment to compensate what is lacking naturally. Now it is light again and they go off. Later tonight before the sun sets they’ll come on automatically again.

The only time we override is when going to bed and we have like a hotel master switch for it.

Do you have a physical “Normal” light switch as well and if so how do you stop this isolating the power from the hue bulb ?

Do you have a physical “Normal” light switch as well and if so how do you stop this isolating the power from the hue bulb ?
I do it with a 3D printed light switch cover and the Hue dimmer placed on top.
17A69A8B-73FA-4759-AF54-6AC33340A67E.jpeg

We do, and there is no need to stop it. Nobody is using them because the lights are automated 👌👍

Where are you? Do you know if your light switches have neutral present or just live and a switched return?

I've tried loads of smart switches of various flavours and unless there's a neutral present they can be problematic IMO.

Having experienced Philips Hue I wouldn't go for anything else below a properly integrated Lutron or higher end equvalent. I really wasn't a fan of the smart bulb concept but I'm fully sold now.

I'm in Chicago, with a newer home (built about 2004). I think I have neutral, but not sure.

I really appreciate the comments. My goal is to keep things simple, and affordable (no specific budget in mind though).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom