Help! Please recommend me a streamer

I perceive that asking Alexa to control all my music is not on because as far as I am aware it cannot control music on a NAS or similar local storage
It can but its not worth the effort!

I agree. Equally it could be a tablet.

I'd rather use a smart phone/tablet, than have a screen on the piece of kit.
Yes as I said all a bit pointless if not in the same room. Can have the greatest display in the world but no use if a wall is between you and it.

Right I will plump for a Bluesound 2i, even though I think the Marantz looks nicer, and try to drag myself into the 21st century.:clap:

Thank you to all who have replied it just makes life easier if one can hear from people who have the experience with this sort of gear.

Thank you to all who have replied it just makes life easier if one can hear from people who have the experience with this sort of gear.
It may help reassure you that I was seriously considering the Cambridge because it looked like a proper piece of hi-fi. Someone recommended the Bluesound and I initially dismissed it because it looked so underwhelming. What changed my mind was the uselessness of the display on the Cambridge because I’d have to get up and walk over to it to read it.

The Cambridge app also came in for criticism whereas the Bluesound‘s was highly praised. All the reviews for the Bluesound were favourable too so my opinion changed. Yes, the Bluesound isn’t a looker but it’s primarily a music player and it’s a very good one. I have no regrets. Hope that helps.

Certainly does yes. Looks help but not if to the detriment of performance. Have been watching all the YouTube videos of the Node 2i also. One final question, I promise. Am happy to use my phone or tablet to access Spotify etc or my stored music. I assume if I have a smart speaker in a room I can also select that, and if so does it matter the manufacturer of this speaker?
Thanks

I assume if I have a smart speaker in a room I can also select that, and if so does it matter the manufacturer of this speaker?
Not sure I understand. If you want to use the Node 2i to control what gets 'sent' to a smart speaker then no, you can't do it. You can send music from the 2i via Bluetooth but that's about it.
If you really want to access music files from your NAS on a smart speaker then this would have to be done directly through a DLNA music server running on the NAS.

Last edited:
Heck and there was me thinking I had it sussed. Right let me try to explain what I want sorry if what I says never makes sense. Right so in the room dedicated to music I currently have amp, turntable and cd player. What I would like is to get my cd collection onto the NAS so I can access them via the amp and dispense with a cd player altogether. Currently if I want other music here I have an Echo dot which I use for spotify which works ok. Now the confusion rears its head. I would like to be able to access my cd collection, spotify etc in say the kitchen. Another Alexa device in the kitchen sorts out spotify but is a none starter, in my mind, to access anything else. It used to be so simple in the days when all I had was a turntable, amp, cd player and tuner plus a pair of speakers.:rolleyes:

For the music room all's OK - your understanding is fine. If you want access to the same range of digital music sources in the kitchen you will need at least another device with the same functionality as the Node 2i in that room. You probably wouldn't want a full hifi system in there so you could get a wireless speaker which is effectively a streamer and speaker in one unit. If you got a Bluesound speaker you could link it to the system in the music room but you could get any other manufacturer's wireless speaker or mini system etc.to function totally independently of the music room system. There would be no problem about sharing access to the music sources but multi-room synchronization is only possible if you stick to a single system such as Bluesound, Sonos or HEOS. Hope that helps!

simply cannot believe the prices they are charging for streamers. Buy a squeezebox touch on ebay and save yourself £350.

the prices manufacturers are charging for the same technology is ridiculous.

Hi

Right had a chat, whilst picking some new speakers for the listening room, about streaming. What popped into view was the CNXV2 but as soon as I mentioned I would like speakers in other rooms was told not possible, thought odd at some £800 plus in price. Was then pointed in direction of Bluesound Node 2i. Fine I thought nothing wrong there. Then told to use as a multi room system needed Bluesound compatible speakers at £299 a pop. Have given up with the idea of Alexa controlling them, though I believe is possible though fraught with problems, so accept I need a phone or tablet for control. What I basically need is a streamer to connect Spotify. Tidal etc to my hifi amp and possibly a couple of remote speakers in the house. The streamer also has to be able to access my ripped CD collection currently sitting on a Synology NAS. Finally can it access all internet stations?

Last edited:
A Node 2i streamer connected to your amplifer should meet all your requirements with the exception of the remote speaker(s). For the latter you have two options as I described in post #35. Using non-Bluesound wireless speakers would be a potentially cheaper option but wouldn't give you the benefit of grouping and unified control that a single ecosystem provides.

re #35
There would be no problem about sharing access to the music sources but multi-room synchronization is only possible if you stick to a single system such as Bluesound, Sonos or HEOS. Hope that helps!
Not sure what you mean specifically in the synchronisation part. And am struggling to see the difference in say a Node 2i and perhaps a Yamaha MusicCast WXA50, amplifier bit excluded, as to how they would suit me.

Not sure what you mean specifically in the synchronisation part
Simply that if all your devices are from the same 'manufacturer' then you have the option of defining control groups i.e. controlling several devices in unison.
And am struggling to see the difference in say a Node 2i and perhaps a Yamaha MusicCast WXA50, amplifier bit excluded, as to how they would suit me
The Yamaha may well suit you fine but the Bluesound is a much better device in terms of its control app and DAC quality.

Hi

Sorry to ask so many questions thanks for your effort and please bear with me.
Can I ask what devices it would want to control in unison? Migh seem obvious but sorry not to me:rolleyes:

No problem @bogart99. By 'devices' I mean speakers (or sources) set up in groups or zones. You could have different music in each group or the exact same music distributed to each one.

Sounds like you'll need same eco system for ease of use, Sonos and Bluos spring to mind.

Roon would also be an option if using different devices from different eco systems but then you are talking another box and you seem to be allergic to technology ;)

Maybe the technology is allergic to me. Am gleaning the info gradually due to you gentlemen on here spoon feeding me. Was, maybe still am, keen to try out this Blusesound Node 2i machine. Did gulp when I found the Bluos remote speakers, 2i Flex, has a price of £299. Thinking that I would like 3 for various rooms we are talking of £900 nearly

Unfortunately wireless speakers don't come cheap - and that's the case across most manufacturers. You should be able to secure a good discount on a bundled buy from most dealers though. And don't forget the current £100 discount on the Node 2i which is advertised as expiring today...

That means probably discounted by £120 tomorrow, oh no I am getting mixed up with DFS. I might just take the plunge as they are offering a 30 day trial with it. Can always buy the add on speakers at a later date when I have got my head around streaming. My current CD player has seen better days and am/was considering a Marantz 6006/7 at a cost of around £400 which will buy this streamer. I have a NAS sitting here to which I could rip my CDs and hopefully not notice any difference in quality through my hifi.

Last edited:
@bogart99 , rather than try to plan the whole thing it's probably best to take it in stages. Get the Bluesound Node 2i and connect it to your amp. Rip a couple of CDs using dbPowerAmp and have a listen. You should be more than happy with the sound quality as FLACs are the same quality as the original CD. One step at a time. ;)

My sentiments entirely. Literally had my new speakers delivered by DPD about 10 minutes so methinks will order a Node 2i and go on from there.

White one available from Richer Sounds. You have a cooling off period when buying on internet but I’d be amazed if you rejected it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom