Help please! ... with buying a 65" TV

I dream of wires

Novice Member
Reaction score
Help please!

I joined today but have been reading through lots of posts for weeks now after my 10 year-old LG Plasma turned on one day with a black messy foreground (you can see the picture behind it).

I really need advice on which 65 inch TV to buy. I’m procrastinating even though my wife is going to kill me if I do not buy one soon!

• Budget around £1200, could stretch to more if extra was really worth it.
  • Primarily using 4K Firestick, and SD Humax free sat PVR (so needs to be reasonable at upscaling), also considering using Netflix.
  • Although I’m a gamer, I use another TV for this so not overly bothered if it’s not geared towards gaming, but if it does handle gaming well (e.g. low input lag) then great.
  • Like everyone I am concerned about screen burn, so not sure about OLED? (based on what I have read)
  • Although I do not watch any sport, I really would like a nice true looking picture, with minimal motion blur.
  • Not worried about viewing angle, as we would be sitting more or less directly in front.
  • Would prefer to future proof if it’s worth it, but it’s not a deal breaker.
  • All round TV that works well in a semi-light (not sun-blistered) room and in the evening in lowered light.
  • Don’t know enough about HDR content and don’t know if this would be affected by the source I’ll be using (4K Firestick / possible Netflix purchase).
  • Would like to purchase from Richer Sounds (1st choice) if possible or John Lewis for their warranty.
  • Will be wall mounted once I fix and sell or dispose of the Plasma.

After reading the praise that Dodgexander has made regarding the Sony Xf9005, I was all geared up, but then couldn’t make up my mind between XF9005 at £999 and the XG9505 at £1199 (wasn’t sure on the benefits for the extra £200. I have since seen / read reviews on these TVs, explaining that using an external source (in my case the 4K Firestick or Humax free sat PVR) will probably show jagged edges and with all sources there’s issues with blooming, poor sound quality, black bar issues when watching films and extremely delayed navigation (not sure if all owners agree if the latest update resolved this?)

So now I’m back to square one and although I have a ‘little’ more knowledge after reading posts, I’m still completely baffled as what to go for. I know it’s all down to personal preference, some prefer particular makes / models and some only watch films in a dark room. What works for one person may not work for me, but I really need your guidance. Could almost do with a voting system to see a top 3 or 5 to go for!

Apologies for the long plea for help and if some of my questions have been answered elsewhere. Also if I have missed any required info, this is my first post.

Many thanks in advance and looking forward to your advice.

I would say that for jut £200 more, the XG9505 is worth it: newer model, better spec too.

burn in wise, if you have a mixed use then you should be fine: but if it is a concern, then I would be cautious and pick up a LCD. OLEDs are fab tho, but I think 65” models would be outside your budget.

Sony software isn’t as good as others but probably also not as bad as it used to be. Saying that, as you are mostly using external sources you won’t really have to deal with it anyway.

In terms of future proofing: Seems to be mainly focused on HDMI 2.1 but few tvs can do it, and gaming isnt key for you: so I don’t think it is worth it - better to let the new tech settle down.

tvs generally have poor built in sound (unless you get a high end unit): can always pick up a sound bar later down the line.

I would defo recommend buying it from a good retailer (John Lewis or Richer Sounds), for both warranty and excellent customer service.

hope that helps.

cheers

I'd second the XG9505. As an XF9005 owner I can highly recommend the PQ and HDR on this panel, and the XG is basically a slightly better XF but with better tech onboard. Alternatively wait until the XH drops but it could be 6-12 months.

OLEDs are outside of your budget so that leaves you with LCD TVs.

Sony XF9005=Samsung Q70R
Sony XG9505=Samsung Q80R
Samsung Q85R

Get the best your budget allows for. You may just be able to stretch to the Q85R if you can still find one that is.

If you prefer better motion go with Sony, if you prefer less blooming, go with Samsung.

Thank you for your replies.

Dodgexander Following on from your tiered list:

Sony XF9005=Samsung Q70R
Sony XG9505=Samsung Q80R
Samsung Q85R

If I could push to OLED what would be my best options?

Just been checking Richer Sounds and John Lewis (5 year warranty is a must) and neither have a Samsung R models (I'm guessing these are 2018/2019 models?) Looks like it's been replaced with the T models for 2020. Do you know if these are as good?

Regards

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies.

Dodgexander Following on from your tiered list:

Sony XF9005=Samsung Q70R
Sony XG9505=Samsung Q80R
Samsung Q85R

If I could push to OLED what would be my best options?

Just been checking Richer Sounds and John Lewis (5 year warranty is a must) and neither have a Samsung R models (I'm guessing these are 2018/2019 models?) Looks like it's been replaced with the T models for 2020. Do you know if these are as good?

Regards
I've made a mock-up of how 2020 models compare to 2019 ones here: 2019-20/2020-21 range comparison.

Generally they are all regressions in 2020, and because they are newly released, its a bad idea to buy them now anyway since they will be overpriced.

I'd suggest buying a discounted 2019 model, or nothing at all and wait for 2020 prices to come down. Usually Black Friday 2020 or later is the best time for that.

Regarding OLEDs, they all offer pros and cons from each other. Popular models are the LG B9, Panasonic GZ950 and Philips 7/8 series.

Unfortunately it is that time of year when 2019 stock is being replaced by new, overpriced 2020 stock

This may be of interest.... You're unlikely to find a better TV for the money....

LG OLED65B9PLA 65" 4K-HDR Dolby-ATMOS Cinema Screen OLED TV £1424.05 with code @ PowerDirect - hotukdeals

Hi Grey Mutton,
I saw this about 30 mins ago and currently waiting on a cal back from RS , but looking at recent comments, it's not looking hopeful to get RS to price match :-(
Not sure about buying from Power Direct as never heard of them, does come with a supposed 5 year warranty, although some readers of HUKD have been quoted a 1 year warranty from them via email!

If unsuccessful, I'll either bite the bullet and buy from Power Direct or take another look at Dodgexanders comparison list.

Regards

Fingers crossed. Some commenter said RS did price match it so hopefully you get it. I got them to price match a members deal with Costco which had it for 1399 about 2 months ago.
Fantastic TV, really happy with it.

Fingers crossed. Some commenter said RS did price match it so hopefully you get it. I got them to price match a members deal with Costco which had it for 1399 about 2 months ago.
Fantastic TV, really happy with it.
Good news, RS just priced matched for £1425
£1399 wow that it's good... Thanks again all for your comments.. I'll be back in 10 days asking questions on calibration etc!

It's worth getting OLED if you can find the money, and the LG OLED B9 is best value for money I think. I got a B9 65” for my mother who is 91, visually impaired and hard of hearing. It was the right choice to replace a 50” Panasonic. She loves it. The sound quality is good even when loud, as well as the picture – especially after I wound up the brightness and colour for her (brightness alone makes it look washed out). It has a digital optical output for her hearing loop amp, which can play at the same time as the internal speakers. I think it is the more advanced for voice control too, though Alexa control of the TV needs a bit of work.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom