Question Help setting up an LG OLED65C9MLB 65"

Sparky1970

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on the best way to set up an LG 65" Oled that I have just ordered, would like to know what I'm doing before it's delivered 😀

I will be connecting the following to the new tv -

Sky Q 2tb box
Yamaha HTR-3065 5.1 surround av receiver
Fire TV | Streaming Media Player (Previous Generation–2nd)
PANASONIC - UB820 Smart 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray & DVD Player

Just need
advice on connecting, can follow the guides on here to set up the tv picture etc. Please bear in mind that I'm a noobie when it comes to setting up 😂

Many Thanks

My suggestion would be to connect the Sky Q, Firestick and UB820 to the HDMI in ports on the back of the Yamaha and then a single 4k certified cable from the Yamaha amp HDMI out in to the HDMI 2 port on the TV

My suggestion would be to connect the Sky Q, Firestick and UB820 to the HDMI in ports on the back of the Yamaha and then a single 4k certified cable from the Yamaha amp HDMI out in to the HDMI 2 port on the TV
Thank you that’s cool, next question is can you recommend a certified 4K cable ? Regards

Thanks again for your replies, my av receiver is hdmi 1.4 and the tv is hdmi 2.1, will it be ok as I would want to tv working to its full potential ? Many thanks

IF you want to connect 4K devices via your receiver to the TV then it needs to be HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2,2 and ideally be able to pass through DV. To play audio from the TV including devcies plugged into the TV it doesnt need to. The apps on the LG are good enough that you can manage without a stick for services like Prime and Netflix.

IF you want to connect 4K devices via your receiver to the TV then it needs to be HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2,2 and ideally be able to pass through DV. To play audio from the TV including devcies plugged into the TV it doesnt need to. The apps on the LG are good enough that you can manage without a stick for services like Prime and Netflix.
Hi, thanks for your reply, not sure what DV is ? As the receiver is not HDMI 2.0 is there a way I can still use the receiver with the devices listed above without compromising on quality ? We mainly watch Sky tv and Netflix and occasionally Amazon Prime, Sorry but i'm new to this ;)

DV - Dolby Vision.

Your Panasonic UB820 has two outputs. Put the HDMI 1.4 to the Amp, that will get you sound. Put the HDMI 2.0 straight into the TV.

I'm not sure you'll need the Firestick now, the built in apps on the TV should cover almost everything you might need.

If you're not paying for 4K on your Sky Q box, put it through your Amp. If you are, put it directly into your TV.

Make sure HDMI port 2 on the TV goes to the Audio Return Channel HDMI connection on your Amp so you can use it for TV audio and also for audio from the built in apps.

DV - Dolby Vision.

Your Panasonic UB820 has two outputs. Put the HDMI 1.4 to the Amp, that will get you sound. Put the HDMI 2.0 straight into the TV.

I'm not sure you'll need the Firestick now, the built in apps on the TV should cover almost everything you might need.

If you're not paying for 4K on your Sky Q box, put it through your Amp. If you are, put it directly into your TV.

Make sure HDMI port 2 on the TV goes to the Audio Return Channel HDMI connection on your Amp so you can use it for TV audio and also for audio from the built in apps.

Thank you for your reply, so the 4k compliant hdmi lead goes from the UB820 HDMI 2.0 port straight to the tv ? Does it matter which one on the tv ?
HDMI 1.4 port from UB820 to which port on av receiver ?
I will be using 4K Sky so if I use HDMI from Sky box direct to tv would I still get sound through the av receiver ?
And would I need more than one 4k compliant HDMI lead ? Regards

You connect the TV port with ARC to the monitor/tv out port on the receiver, enable ARC and CEC both ends.
You connect the main video out on the blu-ray to any other HDMI on the TV, enable deep colour for that port
You connect the other HDMI on the blu-ray to any input on the receiver
If you connect the sky to the TV then its audio plus audio from the built-in apps plus TV sound should all play via ARC on the receiver
Any new cables you get may as well all be certified premium. Older ones would be OK for the audio from blu-ray to amp and maybe between TV and amp

Probably makes sense to go with the one labelled bluray or DVD though, if only for easy of switching inputs on the remote or front of the amp. :) From a connectivity point it does make no difference as you said.

Any new cables you get may as well all be certified premium. Older ones would be OK for the audio from blu-ray to amp and maybe between TV and amp

Premium certified cables are not that different in price, so it definitely makes sense to buy those.

This covers the wiring but getting it all to work together will be the interesting part, as you'll often see posts from people having trouble getting TV audio to play through the receiver with ARC, and if CEC is enabled then connecting both HDMIs from the blu-ray can cause system confusion. The TV will switch to the blu-ray input for video but you need the receiver to switch to its blu-ray input for audio. But the TV will likely be telling the receiver to switch to the TV input. I get round this by turning off CEC on the blu-ray and using a remote that can send multiple commands. These things are nothing to worry about at this stage but you might encounter later

You connect the TV port with ARC to the monitor/tv out port on the receiver, enable ARC and CEC both ends.
You connect the main video out on the blu-ray to any other HDMI on the TV, enable deep colour for that port
If you connect the sky to the TV then its audio plus audio from the built-in apps plus TV sound should all play via ARC on the receiver
Hi, thats great thank you, so just to clarify, I would need 3 x premium certified HDMI 4K leads, 1x for the main video out for blu-ray, 1 x for Sky box to tv and one for tv port with ARC to tv out port on receiver, the other HDMI on blu-ray can just be a normal one ?

Are these what I need ? The blu-ray has HDR10+ but the HDMI leads only mention HDR ? Many thanks

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
This covers the wiring but getting it all to work together will be the interesting part, as you'll often see posts from people having trouble getting TV audio to play through the receiver with ARC, and if CEC is enabled then connecting both HDMIs from the blu-ray can cause system confusion. The TV will switch to the blu-ray input for video but you need the receiver to switch to its blu-ray input for audio. But the TV will likely be telling the receiver to switch to the TV input. I get round this by turning off CEC on the blu-ray and using a remote that can send multiple commands. These things are nothing to worry about at this stage but you might encounter later
Thanks for the info, no doubt I'll be posting on here in relation to that, What is CEC ?

CEC is called different things by each brand like Simplink by LG - its a way things communicate over the HDMI lead in addition to the audio and video. It can help when you have a receiver doing the audio instead of TV speakers by letting the TV remote control the receiver volume. It lets the TV switch to the right HDMI when you turn on the blu-ray and lets the TV remote control the blu-ray, and so on. Its only worth mentioning because it can be frustrating when things dont quite work as intended in practice.

HDR10+ isnt supported by LG, its DV that youre looking for on disk.
It isnt a cable issue either - as long as its genuine Premium Certified - but receivers have to be able to cope with HDR features etc to be able to pass them on to a TV

Last edited:
Are the existing sky HDMI cables that were set up for sky Q 4K certified premium?

The LG C9 and the UB820 support Dolby Atmos, would I need to upgrade the Yamaha HTR 3065 seeing as it doesn’t support HDMI 2.0 etc ?

Tv arrived yesterday, what’s the best way to attach the stand to the tv as the instructions are not that clear, ie do I lie it screen side on some towels to protect it ? Regards

Tv arrived yesterday, what’s the best way to attach the stand to the tv as the instructions are not that clear, ie do I lie it screen side on some towels to protect it ? Regards

Try and use 2/3 people if possible, avoid bending the screen or leaving it unsupported in the middle.

I assume the MLB uses the same stand?

Hello Sparky1970,

Leave the polystyrene on the TV, remove the box, then stand the TV on it's top polystyrene, remove the bottom polystyrene, fit your stand, turn the TV on it's side then onto it's stand.
By following thee above, you will NOT have the screen billowing out of or into the frame.
I have just done my 65" this way, single handed and my system works and the television is fine.

Regards, Ron.

Ok, tv all set up. Would like to ask what the optimal settings including aspect ratios would be best in a dim /dark lit living room, obviously would like to avoid image retention, pixel wear etc. Do I use Eco settings ?

I will be using -

Sky Q
Netflix and Amazon video on the tv
Panasonic UB820 blu-ray player
Nintendo Switch

Also, is it possible to activate a screen saver that kicks in on auto when Sky tv is paused ( HDMI 1) ?

Hi, just received a Sky Q HDR box and on set up its asking for 8 bit or 10 bit colour ? Is it possible for this tv to use 10 bit and if so how do I activate it ?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom