HELP with Comparison on 2 Receivers

GreyWolf1

Novice Member
Reaction score
I need The forum members expertise
I currently own a Yamaha Aventage RX-1030 Receiver with 2 Klipsch Towers and Klipsch Center Speaker and 2 Klipsch Surrounds plus Klipsch 450 watt Sub

I am looking at the Marantz 6014 Receiver
I need to justify besides the age of the Yamaha what I would be gaining vs the Yamaha receiver by going with the Marantz
I would use for massive CD Collection, Vinyl, and Movies on my 65inch Samsung TV KS800
Your feedback is Very Much Appreciated!

Welcome to the Forum.

The speakers are not going to prove a problem with either receiver as the Klipsch are extremely easy to drive. Because of your music needs the Marantz has to be the choice as it's HDAM circuits are 'tuned' for audio. The Marantz also has a superior room correction system in Audyssey XT32 over Yamaha's YAPO. Setting up the Marantz is very easy indeed following the wizard.

However even with a better stereo music presentation the Marantz is still not going to be as good as a comparable stereo amp for music. Consideration should be given to bringing in a stereo amp with HT by-pass for a direct connection to your music sources. The Marantz has pre-outs making this easy and perhaps is something for the future.

Welcome to the Forum.

The speakers are not going to prove a problem with either receiver as the Klipsch are extremely easy to drive. Because of your music needs the Marantz has to be the choice as it's HDAM circuits are 'tuned' for audio. The Marantz also has a superior room correction system in Audyssey XT32 over Yamaha's YAPO. Setting up the Marantz is very easy indeed following the wizard.

However even with a better stereo music presentation the Marantz is still not going to be as good as a comparable stereo amp for music. Consideration should be given to bringing in a stereo amp with HT by-pass for a direct connection to your music sources. The Marantz has pre-outs making this easy and perhaps is something for the future.
Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for the feedback

All my devices- TV, Audio Technica Turntable, Sony 4K Player will connect directly to the receiver.

I am trying to see if buying the Marantz is worth the spending of money vs my older Yamaha?

Just press the reply button and write what you want to underneath the closing [/QUOTE]. There is nothing showing up on your post above.

I have to justify to the better half (my best friend) she is open to the upgrade but wants to know all the fewtures we will get vs the yamaha
Does the music sound better, will the watching of a movie be better? Etc.

Also I can but the Marantz 6014 normally $1500 for $699 brand new

If you're happy with the Yamaha then is there really any need to change unless you want the new options that the Marantz can bring. The Advantage range are very good. I'm not sure the HDMI level, if 1.4 then you may get HDCP issues with 4K video and of course you won't have Atmos. The HDCP is not so much a problem as you can connect the player directly to the TV and just pass the audio to the Yamaha.

SPECS

AUDIO

Amplifier Output Details
110 Watt - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.09% - 7 channels (surround)
120 Watt - 8 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.9% - 7 channels (surround)
AUDIO SYSTEM

Type
AV network receiver
Subcategory
AV components
Functions
AV network receiver, digital player
3D Technology
Yes
Media Content Source
Network, USB-host
Audio Formats
AAC, FLAC, MP3, WAV, WMA
Sound Output Mode
Surround Sound
Audio D/A Converter
24bit / 192kHz
Built-in Decoders
DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6, DTS decoder, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby TrueHD
Surround Sound Effects
CINEMA DSP 3D, SILENT CINEMA DSP, Virtual CINEMA DSP, Virtual Presence Speaker
Sound Effects
Extra Bass
Surround System Class
7.2 channel
Digital Sound Processor (DSP)
Yes
DSP Preset Qty
Additional Features
Apple AirPlay support, Audio Return Channel (ARC), Bi-Amplifying, Deep Color, MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) support, YPAO multi-point measurement, YPAO with R.S.C. (Reflected Sound Control), Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer (YPAO), auto power off, compressed music enhancer, dual-zone capability, iPod/iPhone/iPad ready, smartphone remote controlled, source direct, x.v.Color
Bass Control
Yes
Treble Control
Yes
HEADER

Brand
Yamaha
Product Line
Yamaha AVENTAGE
Model
RX-A1030
Packaged Quantity
BUILT-IN DISPLAY

Type
fluorescent
MISCELLANEOUS

Color
black
Color Category
black
AMPLIFIER

Input Impedance
47 Ohm
Input Sensitivity
200 mV
AMPLIFIER OUTPUT DETAILS

Output Power / Channel
110 Watt, 120 Watt
Output Impedance / Channel
8 Ohm
Frequency Response
20 - 20000 Hz, at 1 kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD)
0.09 %, 0.9 %
Channel Type
surround
Channel Qty
RADIO

Tuner Type
digital
Tuner Bands
AM/FM
NETWORK & INTERNET MULTIMEDIA

Functionality
Internet radio playback, digital audio playback
Internet Streaming Services
vTuner
DLNA
Yes
AUDIO SPECIFICATIONS

Type
Amplifier
Frequency Response
10 - 100000 Hz
Signal-To-Noise Ratio
100 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion
0.04%
POWER

Power Consumption Stand by / Sleep
0.35 Watt
SIGNAL PROCESSING FEATURES

HDMI Switching
Yes
HDMI Pass-Through
up to 4K
Video Conversion/Scaling
HDMI to HDMI scaling, analog to HDMI up conversion
Upscaling via HDMI
up to 4K
CONNECTIONS

Qty
1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 9
Type
7.1 channel audio line-in, 7.2 channel audio line-out, DC power output, HDMI input, HDMI output, LAN, S-Video input, S-Video output, SPDIF input, SPDIF output, USB, audio line-in, audio line-out (multi zone), component video input, component video output, composite video/audio input, composite video/audio output, headphones, monitor output, phono input, remote control, serial, speakers output, trigger
Connector Type
19 pin HDMI Type A, 4 pin USB Type A, 4 pin mini-DIN, 9 pin D-Sub, RCA, RCA x 2, RCA x 3, RCA x 8, RCA x 9, RJ-45, TOSLINK, banana/spade x 2, phone stereo 6.3 mm
Connector Location
front, rear
DIMENSIONS & WEIGHT

Depth
17 in
Width
17.1 in
Height
7.2 in
Weight
33.29 lbs
SIGNAL PROCESSING FEATURES

Upscaling via HDMI
Up to 4K
HDMI Pass-Through
Up to 4K
HDMI Switching
Yes
Video Conversion/Scaling
Analog to HDMI up conversion, HDMI to HDMI scaling
GENERAL

Manufacturer

If you're happy with the Yamaha then is there really any need to change unless you want the new options that the Marantz can bring. The Advantage range are very good. I'm not sure the HDMI level, if 1.4 then you may get HDCP issues with 4K video and of course you won't have Atmos. The HDCP is not so much a problem as you can connect the player directly to the TV and just pass the audio to the Yamaha.

Also I can but the Marantz 6014 normally $1500 for $699 brand new
Sold! :thumbsup:

It will sound different but I believe Klipsch do go very well with Denon. Klipsch, at the moment are not that widely owned here in the UK but they do seem to respond to the warm, easy going Marantz signature. Remember though that with every new amp, especially when you have been with the same one for a number of years it takes time for your brain to 'burn in' and absorb the new sound.

Sold! :thumbsup:

I appreciate all the time you’re taking with this question thank you. But you said sound “different” will it sound better is what I’m trying to find out?. I don’t want to spend money just to make something sound different I want to know if the Marantz is an upgrade over my older Yamaha and if so in what ways besides what you mentioned if it’s minor it’s not worth spending the money.

It will sound different but I believe Klipsch do go very well with Denon. Klipsch, at the moment are not that widely owned here in the UK but they do seem to respond to the warm, easy going Marantz signature. Remember though that with every new amp, especially when you have been with the same one for a number of years it takes time for your brain to 'burn in' and absorb the new sound.

Define different. We are all different and what sounds good to me may not to you. I like the Marantz signature and the Marantz would certainly do a very good job on film and TV. I would say, based on tier level within manufacturer's model range, that the Marantz is a tier or so above that of the Yamaha. The room correction is better and that could certainly make a difference in your room.

I'm not going to say the Marantz will sound better than the Yamaha, only you can decide that. If I had to pick a Marantz or a Yamaha today it's Marantz that would get the nod. But I'm not you. I strongly suggest you go and audition a Marantz.

Thank you
I did already listen to the Marantz 6014

Was just trying to see if the marantz had better specs then my older yamaha

Define different. We are all different and what sounds good to me may not to you. I like the Marantz signature and the Marantz would certainly do a very good job on film and TV. I would say, based on tier level within manufacturer's model range, that the Marantz is a tier or so above that of the Yamaha. The room correction is better and that could certainly make a difference in your room.

I'm not going to say the Marantz will sound better than the Yamaha, only you can decide that. If I had to pick a Marantz or a Yamaha today it's Marantz that would get the nod. But I'm not you. I strongly suggest you go and audition a Marantz.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom