Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am in need of help!!

My speakers are
Front LR: 2 - R-625FA
Center: R-52C
Side LR: 2 - R-51M
Rear: LR: 2 - R-51M
Overhead: 6 Total = Micca M-8C (4 in movie room, and two in patio)

Receiver: I am leaning towards Denon 8500H but feel free to change my mind after you read this

Projector: Optoma P1

Room Dimension: 13' x 12'

I am currently in the process of building my house with my wife. We are at the stage where our walls just got primed and textured and interior trim and doors are going in this week.

I bought the Klipsch setup couple months ago and got the movie room all prewired for a 7.1.4 setup and another 2 overhead speakers from the patio going into the movie room. I realized this over the weekend, that my Front L&R speakers, R-625FA have two pair of inputs (one for the main speakers and another for the upfiring Dolby Atmos) but I only got the house wired for 1 pair of input for each speaker. Which is why I'm not sure if my setup is 13 or 15 channels..

My questions for you experience folks...

1). Can I just use one speaker channel for each R-625FA and use a conductor for the two inputs? Or do the Upfiring Dolby Atmos needs its own speaker channel input?
If this is the case, then my prewired 7.1.4 setup is now a 9.1.4 movie room setup with 2 overhead speakers from the patio, equaling 15 speakers.

2). Is it silly to go with the Denon 8500H 13 Channel Receiver or should I definitely pre-amp and get an additional Amp to go with for example the Denon 6500H (11 channel)?

I tried using the search function for my questions but couldn't find what I was looking for. Thanks for reading this! Let me know if there are more information needed

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I am in need of help!!

My speakers are
Center: R-52C
Side LR: 2 - R-51M
Rear: LR: 2 - R-51M
Overhead: 6 Total = Micca M-8C (4 in movie room, and two in patio)

Receiver: I am leaning towards Denon 8500H but feel free to change my mind after you read this

Projector: Optoma P1

Room Dimension: 13' x 12'

I am currently in the process of building my house with my wife. We are at the stage where our walls just got primed and textured and interior trim and doors are going in this week.

I bought the Klipsch setup couple months ago and got the movie room all prewired for a 7.1.4 setup and another 2 overhead speakers from the patio going into the movie room. I realized this over the weekend, that my Front L&R speakers, R-625FA have two pair of inputs (one for the main speakers and another for the upfiring Dolby Atmos) but I only got the house wired for 1 pair of input for each speaker. Which is why I'm not sure if my setup is 13 or 15 channels..

My questions for you experience folks...

1). Can I just use one speaker channel for each R-625FA and use a conductor for the two inputs? Or do the Upfiring Dolby Atmos needs its own speaker channel input?
If this is the case, then my prewired 7.1.4 setup is now a 9.1.4 movie room setup with 2 overhead speakers from the patio, equaling 15 speakers.

2). Is it silly to go with the Denon 8500H 13 Channel Receiver or should I definitely pre-amp and get an additional Amp to go with for example the Denon 6500H (11 channel)?

I tried using the search function for my questions but couldn't find what I was looking for. Thanks for reading this! Let me know if there are more information needed
I can answer your 1st question. The modules need their own speaker inputs/channels. @gibbsy I'll hand over the 2nd question to you, as you have a greater understanding of the Denon' range than me! 😉🤣

I don't know US prices but here in the UK, where AV Forums is based there is a difference in cost between the 8500 and the 6500 of £1100. That makes the 6500 excellent value for money. It is also a very good amp, I own one. If you are happy with a 7.1.4 then it's got enough power to run all those channels. If you want to power two external speakers then you will be limited to a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 with the Height 2 speakers terminals being used for the second zone.

If you wanted a full 7.1.4 with the external speakers then the 8500 is the better option. Audio wise the 8500 is more power and has better PSU and amps on board.

I current run my 6500 with a stereo amp with HT by-pass driving my front left and right with my music sources going into the stereo amp. I don't like Denon for serious stereo music listening but for film and TV is really a very good amp indeed.

@gibbsy thanks. I knew you owned the 6500H hence the mention!

I don't know US prices but here in the UK, where AV Forums is based there is a difference in cost between the 8500 and the 6500 of £1100. That makes the 6500 excellent value for money. It is also a very good amp, I own one. If you are happy with a 7.1.4 then it's got enough power to run all those channels. If you want to power two external speakers then you will be limited to a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 with the Height 2 speakers terminals being used for the second zone.

If you wanted a full 7.1.4 with the external speakers then the 8500 is the better option. Audio wise the 8500 is more power and has better PSU and amps on board.

I current run my 6500 with a stereo amp with HT by-pass driving my front left and right with my music sources going into the stereo amp. I don't like Denon for serious stereo music listening but for film and TV is really a very good amp indeed.

Bless you for the awesome response! One of my biggest reasons for getting a all-in-one receiver is because I dont really know too much about preamps and adding additional amps. Didn't want to mix too much into the equation and make things complicated for myself but from the looks of things here on this forum, I could probably find the 101 on that topic. Thank you! I'll be sure to update my progress on this thread!

@kennyle1990 the new Denon X6700H may be option aswell as it has 13.2 processing. So 7.1.4 system + zone 2 for the ceiling speakers in patio.

X8500H is quite expensive for the cheap speakers you bought at 4000$. The new X6700H should cost 2500$.

If you looking for subwoofer check out Rythmik Audio and HSU research!

Edit. You need 2ch amp also. Some cheap will do. This seems to be popular pick:
https://www.amazon com/Audio-Source-AMP100VS-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00ZSEFU94/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526618361&sr=8-1&keywords=audiosource+ad1002

@kennyle1990 the new Denon X6700H may be option aswell as it has 13.2 processing. So 7.1.4 system + zone 2 for the ceiling speakers in patio.

X8500H is quite expensive for the cheap speakers you bought at 4000$. The new X6700H should cost 2500$.

If you looking for subwoofer check out Rythmik Audio and HSU research!

Edit. You need 2ch amp also. Some cheap will do. This seems to be popular pick:
https://www.amazon com/Audio-Source-AMP100VS-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00ZSEFU94/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526618361&sr=8-1&keywords=audiosource+ad1002

Denon X6700H? I just googled that and it says 11.2 channel receiver. I am now thinking of the Denon 6500H which powers 11.2 and then add an Outlaw 7000-7channel Amp. This would allow me to power all 9.1.4 and the two patio speakers out back, with a few extra channels for the future?

Denon X6700H? I just googled that and it says 11.2 channel receiver. I am now thinking of the Denon 6500H which powers 11.2 and then add an Outlaw 7000-7channel Amp. This would allow me to power all 9.1.4 and the two patio speakers out back, with a few extra channels for the future?

Yes that model just been announced, not yet in stores. It has 11 internal amplification, but 13.2 processing so 7.1.4 at main area (11) + pair of speakers (2) at patio = 13 speakers, but you need to power those patio speakers with 2ch amp as the 11internal amps are being used. You don´t need 7ch poweramp, you are already spending big bucks vs. speaker price.

Center: 1 - R-52C
Surround Side LR: 2 - R-51M
Surround Back: LR: 2 - R-51M
Overhead: 6 Total = Micca M-8C (4 in movie room, and two in patio

So base level you have 7 speakers and overhead 4 at the movie room and 2 more at patio. So again 7.1.4 (the .1 is subwoofer) plus one pair which you need to power with external 2ch amp!

Notice X6700H has 13.2 processing, X6500H has 11.2 with 11internal amps so it can`t do more.

X6700H - 2500$ + 120$ for 2ch amp
X8500H - 4000$

Yes that model just been announced, not yet in stores. It has 11 internal amplification, but 13.2 processing so 7.1.4 at main area (11) + pair of speakers (2) at patio = 13 speakers, but you need to power those patio speakers with 2ch amp as the 11internal amps are being used. You don´t need 7ch poweramp, you are already spending big bucks vs. speaker price.

Center: 1 - R-52C
Surround Side LR: 2 - R-51M
Surround Back: LR: 2 - R-51M
Overhead: 6 Total = Micca M-8C (4 in movie room, and two in patio

So base level you have 7 speakers and overhead 4 at the movie room and 2 more at patio. So again 7.1.4 (the .1 is subwoofer) plus one pair which you need to power with external 2ch amp!

Notice X6700H has 13.2 processing, X6500H has 11.2 with 11internal amps so it can`t do more.

X6700H - 2500$ + 120$ for 2ch amp
X8500H - 4000$

True. Sorry, I keep thinking its 9.1.4 but its just 7.1.4 because I wont be using the Upfiring speakers from the two front L&R R-625FA. I think you just saved me some money man! So, ill pick up the 6700H when its available and do you have a favorite 2 channel amp in that $120 range that you're talking about?

do you have a favorite 2 channel amp
I do sir. A Rega Elicit-R with HT by-pass that absolutely slays my 6500 on stereo music. If music is important to you then consider a good stereo amp because Denons are crap.

I think i made mistake there. Zone 2 should be independent and as long as you add 2ch stereo amp it should work with X6500H. Does @gibbsy agree? So using X6500H to power the cinema speakers (11) and then use zone 2 preout for 2ch amp for the patio.

In such case you would save 1000$ more as you can get the X6500H Denon refurbished for 1550$ with 3year warranty (same as brand new one), plus free shipping!

I do sir. A Rega Elicit-R with HT by-pass that absolutely slays my 6500 on stereo music. If music is important to you then consider a good stereo amp because Denons are crap.

Noted! Yeah, music is not a big factor for me. I'll mainly be using it for movies/tv. Dang that thing is definitely not in the $120 range LOL

I think i made mistake there. Zone 2 should be independent and as long as you add 2ch stereo amp it should work with X6500H. Does @gibbsy agree? So using X6500H to power the cinema speakers (11) and then use zone 2 preout for 2ch amp for the patio?

In such case you would save 1000$ more as you can get the X6500H Denon refurbished for 1550$ with 3year warranty (same as brand new one)!

Hahahaha that is great. I was going to ask about refurbs but looks like you beat me to it. You just used the words stereo amps and I think I just realized there is a different between power amps and sterero amps now...more research and learning is needed haha

Noted! Yeah, music is not a big factor for me. I'll mainly be using it for movies/tv. Dang that thing is definitely not in the $120 range LOL

Hahahaha that is great. I was going to ask about refurbs but looks like you beat me to it. You just used the words stereo amps and I think I just realized there is a different between power amps and sterero amps now...more research and learning is needed haha

This was the amp i saw US members powering atmos channels so it will be fine for your patio use too. Fix the link add dot as the Amazon links doesn´t work here anymore.

I think i made mistake there. Zone 2 should be independent and as long as you add 2ch stereo amp it should work with X6500H. Does @gibbsy agree? So using X6500H to power the cinema speakers (11) and then use zone 2 preout for 2ch amp for the patio.

In such case you would save 1000$ more as you can get the X6500H Denon refurbished for 1550$ with 3year warranty (same as brand new one), plus free shipping!
Zone 2 analogue out does need a standalone amp as it receivers just a stereo analogue signal. The Height2 speaker terminals on the 6500 will power Zone 2 but at the cost of channels for the main area, ie 7.1.4 reduced to 5.1.4 plus Zone 2.

Update: I bought the Denon 6700H! Tracking shows it will arrive in a week. Thanks for letting me know about this receiver Gasp3621!

As far as the 2 channel receiver, I'll probably go with the AudioSource since its cheap and its functional for what I need with the patio speakers. Thanks all!

Hello . I started building my system 2017. The last item I purchased 2 days ago was the Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD player. It is about the best item I have purchased that made such a big difference. I have the LG OLED 65 E7P. Two front Tower Klipsch RF 82II. A RP504 Center speaker. Two Klipsch RS115 Subwoofers with the wireless kits that I'm not using and my Surrounds are two RP250s. I believe my weakest link now is the Yamaha Aventage RX670. It may be over kill but I plan and want to purchase the Denon 8500. I can't put holes in the ceiling for Dolby Atmos, so I have been reading a lot about the SVS prime Ellevation speakers. I would like to use 4 to 6 of them. I have read some reports about some people question using the Klipsch 250s or any type speaker like that for back surrounds. some say it is better to use a single type speaker. And the same type speaker for side and rear surrounds. If someone don't mind any advice would be helpful. damailman79 Mississippi

Attachments

• home theater.jpg
    home theater.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 149
  • rear surround.jpg
    rear surround.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 50

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom