Help with new TV

Lol mate you're like me I started off looking at £500 TVs but then keep thinking the £100 or so for the better tv is worth it, and now with all the helpful advice from here I'm now looking at top range lcd tvs lol, the only thing stopping me getting a oled is my viewing habits would more than likely lead to screen burn, so im looking towards the Q90r but black crush worries me a litte, but now waiting for reviews on the new hisense U8Q coming out soon and see how that handles blooming and black crush

OLED to LCD is like apples to pears. Two different things that mean different things to different people.

Its hard to compare, but I did my best above.
Yeah I read that one a couple of times, and honestly I think based on it there's not much going for OLED viewing wise, but everywhere on this and other forums, people always tend to talk up Oled more than any other LCD TV 😅

Lol mate you're like me I started off looking at £500 TVs but then keep thinking the £100 or so for the better tv is worth it, and now with all the helpful advice from here I'm now looking at top range lcd tvs lol, the only thing stopping me getting a oled is my viewing habits would more than likely lead to screen burn, so im looking towards the Q90r but black crush worries me a litte, but now waiting for reviews on the new hisense U8Q coming out soon and see how that handles blooming and black crush

See that's the issue.. It keeps evolving and snowballing into bigger and bigger Tvs 😂
But even Avforum review of ex q85 and so says the black crush is minimal?

You can now, for an additional fee, get it covered

This is very interesting, but I notice it's through D&G insurance and does mention neglect is an exclusion. I could well imagine them saying the screen burn is due to customer neglect, but I guess we wont know until people start to use it. Until our kids stop binge watching channels with the large logos, I'll be sticking to LCD. lol I'd push your budget and get the Sony XF, it's the best LCD you can buy in the price range you're considering.

This is very interesting, but I notice it's through D&G insurance and does mention neglect is an exclusion. I could well imagine them saying the screen burn is due to customer neglect, but I guess we wont know until people start to use it. Until our kids stop binge watching channels with the large logos, I'll be sticking to LCD. lol I'd push your budget and get the Sony XF, it's the best LCD you can buy in the price range you're considering.
Yeah my wife mentioned it too.. Like they say burn in generally ok, buuut you did it yourself or whatever they come up up with..

Thanks for the reply, I'm also leaning towards XF or Q70, it's just that thing inside you when you get offered ex q85 for only 120£ more it's tempting to go even higher 😅 but I want it to make sense to go higher, and all I get from it is there's filters and angles, but ultimately it sounds like what matters, the picture itself, doesn't really change all that much

Yeah my wife mentioned it too.. Like they say burn in generally ok, buuut you did it yourself or whatever they come up up with..

Thanks for the reply, I'm also leaning towards XF or Q70, it's just that thing inside you when you get offered ex q85 for only 120£ more it's tempting to go even higher 😅 but I want it to make sense to go higher, and all I get from it is there's filters and angles, but ultimately it sounds like what matters, the picture itself, doesn't really change all that much

The Samsung's are good televisions but the XF beats the Q70. Unless you plan on replacing every few years I'd always get the best you can so Q85 or XF would be great options. I'd you can try to see them up close and personal, the Samsung's tend to over saturate the picture but possibly on the 85 blooming might be a tad better than the XF. Don't be put off about Android, since the second to last update it's been much better.

The Samsung's are good televisions but the XF beats the Q70. Unless you plan on replacing every few years I'd always get the best you can so Q85 or XF would be great options. I'd you can try to see them up close and personal, the Samsung's tend to over saturate the picture but possibly on the 85 blooming might be a tad better than the XF. Don't be put off about Android, since the second to last update it's been much better.
Great mate, good to hear 👍

I've had some proper time looking at them in the local store who's all about Tvs etc, and they said the same thing about Samsung v Sony. It feels so confusing 😅 my thought the whole time, also after previous help in this thread, has lied with Xf90 or Xg if that comes somewhat cheaper, but suddenly Q85 is presented at the same price, and even a bigger Q70 for that money too, one cannot help but become dizzy with possibilities..

Great mate, good to hear 👍

I've had some proper time looking at them in the local store who's all about Tvs etc, and they said the same thing about Samsung v Sony. It feels so confusing 😅 my thought the whole time, also after previous help in this thread, has lied with Xf90 or Xg if that comes somewhat cheaper, but suddenly Q85 is presented at the same price, and even a bigger Q70 for that money too, one cannot help but become dizzy with possibilities..

Always pros and cons isn't there, it can be a real headache choosing a set these days. What's your main viewing type? Sports, movies, gaming?

Always pros and cons isn't there, it can be a real headache choosing a set these days. What's your main viewing type? Sports, movies, gaming?
Yeah see that's the thing with technology, always something better..
To be quite fair 100% movies and TV shows, that's it. So it might be overkill with the fancier TVs probably, but don't we all want the best 😅
We come from a 32" TV that wasn't smart, so basically everything will be an improvement..

Yeah see that's the thing with technology, always something better..
To be quite fair 100% movies and TV shows, that's it. So it might be overkill with the fancier TVs probably, but don't we all want the best 😅
We come from a 32" TV that wasn't smart, so basically everything will be an improvement..

I'd say definitely the XF95/XG95 or Q85. Can you push to the Q90R?....I'd be tempted with that, it's basically the nearest thing to an OLED but without the risk of screen burn.

I'd say definitely the XF95/XG95 or Q85. Can you push to the Q90R?....I'd be tempted with that, it's basically the nearest thing to an OLED but without the risk of screen burn.
Well the q90r is 1200£ more than the rest here, so I've firmly decided against that, money wise.
We're like 60% watching old shows, 480p at most, so TV probably can't be too big either. I've kept reading and reading and it feels like there's no one good answer,😅 People in here usually suggest Q85r as it's a higher category than the rest, and then some review points out how amazing these Sony models are

Well the q90r is 1200£ more than the rest here, so I've firmly decided against that, money wise.
We're like 60% watching old shows, 480p at most, so TV probably can't be too big either. I've kept reading and reading and it feels like there's no one good answer,😅 People in here usually suggest Q85r as it's a higher category than the rest, and then some review points out how amazing these Sony models are

Guessing you know but you'll really notice poor source content when moving from 32" to say a 55" if you continue to watch 480p. It's a shame the Q90r is so much more expensive but it is a great panel. Good luck making your decision. Maybe treat yourself to HD/UHD source content as much as possible.

Guessing you know but you'll really notice poor source content when moving from 32" to say a 55" if you continue to watch 480p. It's a shame the Q90r is so much more expensive but it is a great panel. Good luck making your decision. Maybe treat yourself to HD/UHD source content as much as possible.
Yeah I have a feeling that's the way to go too 😅 If only the best panels didn't cost a lot! 😄

I'm a bit wary of Samsung these days. Our local independent has a 65 inch Q90r for £1499 but don't know if I can live without Dolby Vision. I want my next TV to be as future proof as possible and with Netflix, Ps5 etc using Dolby Vision I'm reluctant to buy a Samsung

As far as I can gather Eovlu
I'm a bit wary of Samsung these days. Our local independent has a 65 inch Q90r for £1499 but don't know if I can live without Dolby Vision. I want my next TV to be as future proof as possible and with Netflix, Ps5 etc using Dolby Vision I'm reluctant to buy a Samsung
As far as I can gather Dolby Vision isn't a necessity, but of course would be nice to have! 😄

Still beating about the bush!

After great and appreciated help from Dodge, Lcd and so on my wife and I have landed on these options.. Because of course we didn't fit the TV in the dark area of the living room with couch etc 😄

We sit 3 m (3/3.20) away from the TV. The regular TV is in HD, though we do enjoy both Blu Ray and Dvds. This very morning we came to the conclusion of getting LG B9 and pushing the budget limit a bit (offer on for 850 £) but we didn't think about the fact that the TV stand next to the window (where the coax cable comes in the wall, and generally only fits) and we read to our misery and fear that Oled is a no go in direct sunshine?! We can cover with blinds, but since it's facing west we have to keep changing the position, or put a cover over the TV? Any idea? We naturally still went to the store to see the TV, and though I never thought I would, we fell for it..

Since it all comes in pieces, all have to match perfectly. We look at 55 inches, but I see most people consider that too small for 3 meters. We drew the TV on the wall, and it's not so big, but on the other hand we watch a lot of old movies in 480p at max but also new HD. But again the bigger the TV, the more sun exposure! We are so confused..

So please, all you smart guys and gals, could you please help two semi-desperate people who's been looking to get a TV for months..

1: Would the sun light totally smash the Oled, make it burn in, overheat etc like we see some say?
2: Can one avoid sun damages and how? (except blinds only) maybe a cover on the TV?
3: Would the problem be the same with ex a Sony LCD? ( @Dodgexander wrote something about it on an earlier post)
4: distance itself, would 65 inch show too grainy with 480 material at 3 m distance? (hard to see in the store as they naturally have 4k material on)

I know I sound like a broken record but I feel like I come back and forth constantly and just want to be done with the deciding making already..

I think all TVs are a no go for direct sunshine, but certainly there have been reports of damage to OLEDs from direct sun. You could cover the TV when not in use, or control light into the room but a better solution would be to re-arrange the room so sunlight in general isn't an issue. Maybe an extension to your coax cable and some re-arranging furniture, or perhaps blinds that are easy to open and close?

Its not a good idea to have sun shining directly on any TV. Say for example you instead opted for an LCD TV. The sun can still do damage to the anti reflective coating over time.

1: Would the sun light totally smash the Oled, make it burn in, overheat etc like we see some say?
I don't think its going to smash it. If it does damage, it will be a gradual process over time. Its possible you own the TV and never see a problem.
2: Can one avoid sun damages and how? (except blinds only) maybe a cover on the TV?
You can cover the TV when you aren't using it or re-arrange the room to avoid direct sunlight.
3: Would the problem be the same with ex a Sony LCD? ( @Dodgexander wrote something about it on an earlier post)
Sun damage can still happen, but its likely an LCD TV will be a little more robust. With an OLED the diodes are a lot closer to the front of the TV than an LCD TV, so an OLED is more likely to have sun damage that may effect the pixels themselves, whilst with an LCD TV you may still get damage to the anti reflective coating.
4: distance itself, would 65 inch show too grainy with 480 material at 3 m distance? (hard to see in the store as they naturally have 4k material on)
3m away is very far to view. SD quality material will never look fantastic, but I wouldn't worry so much about it at that distance. The picture quality benefits outside of resolution will be so vast, it will look ok.

EDIT* perhaps if you have home insurance, or you pay for insurance for the TV you can have peace of mind with an OLED?

I think all TVs are a no go for direct sunshine, but certainly there have been reports of damage to OLEDs from direct sun. You could cover the TV when not in use, or control light into the room but a better solution would be to re-arrange the room so sunlight in general isn't an issue. Maybe an extension to your coax cable and some re-arranging furniture, or perhaps blinds that are easy to open and close?

Its not a good idea to have sun shining directly on any TV. Say for example you instead opted for an LCD TV. The sun can still do damage to the anti reflective coating over time.

We saw the LG next to a Samsung and Philips, and the LG B9 was so amazing looking, so we ponder to get the 55 inch version, yet the Sony XG95 LCD could be 65 inch for the same price. So you say the reflective coat can be damaged, but the likely hood of the actual TV not working from the sun isn't to be afraid of?

I don't think its going to smash it. If it does damage, it will be a gradual process over time. Its possible you own the TV and never see a problem.

You can cover the TV when you aren't using it or re-arrange the room to avoid direct sunlight.

Sun damage can still happen, but its likely an LCD TV will be a little more robust. With an OLED the diodes are a lot closer to the front of the TV than an LCD TV, so an OLED is more likely to have sun damage that may effect the pixels themselves, whilst with an LCD TV you may still get damage to the anti reflective coating.

3m away is very far to view. SD quality material will never look fantastic, but I wouldn't worry so much about it at that distance. The picture quality benefits outside of resolution will be so vast, it will look ok.

EDIT* perhaps if you have home insurance, or you pay for insurance for the TV you can have peace of mind with an OLED?

Thanks for your reply :)

To take the latter first - we'd buy an insurance with the TV (like the one seen here on the forum) that covers burn in etc. Yet I imagine that burn in or melt from the sun isn't exactly covered with it as it's against the safety manual?

Secondly, it's interesting, we've literally read the whole day, and the only thing I can find about lcd in sun from a company source is a Samsung African branch answer for some reason that says lcd is harmless in the sun. So it's even more confusing as the same manual says it may not..

We can't rearrange the area, we've tried but I don't think it's really a possibility to fit with the rest, though we have thought plenty about that.

Is a cover, cloth or another firm material, good enough to cover with?
By the way, it's in the living room with the glassed balcony in front of it, and then another set of windows into the living room, so the sun travels through 2 x double layered isolated windows and 1 plain glass window..

To take the latter first - we'd buy an insurance with the TV (like the one seen here on the forum) that covers burn in etc. Yet I imagine that burn in or melt from the sun isn't exactly covered with it as it's against the safety manual?
It will depend on the policy, you'd have to read the terms. Insurance covers a lot more based on accidental damage compared to the warranty that comes with the TV.

A warranty will cover manufacturer defects, whilst insurance can cover accidental damage, be it burn in, sun damage or you accidentally dropping the TV.

Secondly, it's interesting, we've literally read the whole day, and the only thing I can find about lcd in sun from a company source is a Samsung African branch answer for some reason that says lcd is harmless in the sun. So it's even more confusing as the same manual says it may not..
Well that isn't really true. The sun will damage anything if its exposed long enough. Do you have a TV already? If so you can gauge how much damage has been done to that over its lifetime. Maybe your conditions aren't as severe as you think?
Is a cover, cloth or another firm material, good enough to cover with?
I'd probably cover it with a thick cloth. Something that is hard to see light through when held up to the sun. Sun blocking curtains could be an idea.

It will depend on the policy, you'd have to read the terms. Insurance covers a lot more based on accidental damage compared to the warranty that comes with the TV.

A warranty will cover manufacturer defects, whilst insurance can cover accidental damage, be it burn in, sun damage or you accidentally dropping the TV.

Well that isn't really true. The sun will damage anything if its exposed long enough. Do you have a TV already? If so you can gauge how much damage has been done to that over its lifetime. Maybe your conditions aren't as severe as you think?

I'd probably cover it with a thick cloth. Something that is hard to see light through when held up to the sun. Sun blocking curtains could be an idea.
Ah yeah we have home insurance that covers electric products like that so in that way of course it could be a way to do it.

We don't have a time right now, but the one we had in our previous place was 30 inch and covered with sun, and that was a lcd without any visible issues, but on the other hand hard to see properly.

I remember you once wrote that between two sizes, go for the bigger despite worse TV specs. Say I'd throw the question at you, 55 inch LG C9 or 65 inch Sony XG95, any good answer to that?😅

We only really watch late evenings and with a lamp on, so it could be covered throughout the day with a thick cloth!

EDIT: After your input, wife decided we'd go for blinds instead that are heavy at the TV area and light for other times.. She thought the cloth was a bit risky :D

Last edited:
The Sony 65" XG95 is a good TV, if its the same price as the 55" C9 its a good alternative. Its certainly a good idea to go bigger with UHD TVs, since you need view closer to a big TV to see a bigger difference with UHD content.

Alright alright alright! It's that time again - helping me on the seemingly never ending quest to find the right match!

So, listening to all your advices, and countless online checking since March, we've finally been narrowing our choices and possibilities!

After endless sun-following, we've taken out OLED of the equation, as for a couple of hours a day the position gets sun. Not for more than a couple of hours, but wouldn't dare this with OLED. The distance is ~3 m so we'd probably have to go for a 65" TV, as 55" might just be on the smaller side. We watch plenty of old shows too, 480p and Dvds, but I somehow feel confident in 65" still, as the inner movie watcher wants to go for HDR and HD stuff. I've had so much great help here, and the 2 choices we've come to are following as oled is no go, we don't like the Samsung colors :​

Sony XF90
Sony XG95

In 65" the XG95 is 150-300£ more expensive, and it's been a while since I saw it only 150£ apart. I can't seem to figure, is XG95 really that much better? I get so conflicting answers, better and faster OS yet not better picture.. Anyone?

The time is running out in getting these TVs I feel like! Stress stress stress!

Alright alright alright! It's that time again - helping me on the seemingly never ending quest to find the right match!

So, listening to all your advices, and countless online checking since March, we've finally been narrowing our choices and possibilities!

After endless sun-following, we've taken out OLED of the equation, as for a couple of hours a day the position gets sun. Not for more than a couple of hours, but wouldn't dare this with OLED. The distance is ~3 m so we'd probably have to go for a 65" TV, as 55" might just be on the smaller side. We watch plenty of old shows too, 480p and Dvds, but I somehow feel confident in 65" still, as the inner movie watcher wants to go for HDR and HD stuff. I've had so much great help here, and the 2 choices we've come to are following as oled is no go, we don't like the Samsung colors :​

Sony XF90
Sony XG95

In 65" the XG95 is 150-300£ more expensive, and it's been a while since I saw it only 150£ apart. I can't seem to figure, is XG95 really that much better? I get so conflicting answers, better and faster OS yet not better picture.. Anyone?

The time is running out in getting these TVs I feel like! Stress stress stress!

I started the same as you no oled as screen burn would be to risky with our viewing, Samsung colour, black crush and purple/pink edge huge put me off was gonna go with the Sony's as colours where good but blooming seamed to be a issue, so I've ended up with the 55" hisense u8qf (you get a better deal on the 65" £500 off instead of a £100 but can't fit a 65" in alcove), anyway I'm very happy colours are great, motion is great, blacks are black and very little to none blooming the bars top and bottom stay black, it gets bright for HDR which looks amazing and picture quality again amazing,

I started the same as you no oled as screen burn would be to risky with our viewing, Samsung colour, black crush and purple/pink edge huge put me off was gonna go with the Sony's as colours where good but blooming seamed to be a issue, so I've ended up with the 55" hisense u8qf (you get a better deal on the 65" £500 off instead of a £100 but can't fit a 65" in alcove), anyway I'm very happy colours are great, motion is great, blacks are black and very little to none blooming the bars top and bottom stay black, it gets bright for HDR which looks amazing and picture quality again amazing,
Thanks, only issue in Scandinavia we don't really have Hisense and TCL options, and those we have are very pricey, even more so than the regular manufacturers..

It's either waiting and hoping XG95 comes further down in price, but one risks XF90 to be sold out.. I imagine they don't make 2019 and older models anymore so I suppose the supply isn't endless..

Thanks, only issue in Scandinavia we don't really have Hisense and TCL options, and those we have are very pricey, even more so than the regular manufacturers..

It's either waiting and hoping XG95 comes further down in price, but one risks XF90 to be sold out.. I imagine they don't make 2019 and older models anymore so I suppose the supply isn't endless..

Ahh fair enough in that case i would say spend that little extra for the XG95

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom