Question Help with piecing together first hi-fi system starting with parts I've inherited

Pople89

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've finally moved into my own place and am now getting round to building a proper hi-fi system. For some reason or another I have the following parts:

- Linn Kiko system
- Dali Zensor 3 speakers
- Project debut carbon turntable
- Loads of CDs and Vinyl I've collected over the years

I am slightly confused as to what my options are here - it sound like I could either:
- buy an Integrated Amp (like the Cambridge Audio AXR85) and CD player (like the Cambridge Audio AXC25) and connect these to the Dali Zensor 3 speakers, or
- buy a pre amp (like the Rega Fono MM MK3) to connect my LP player to my Linn system and play it through that (unsure whether I can connect a CD player here).

I'd really appreciate advice on whether: i) I can also connect the CD player to the Linn System. I've tried to look online but it seems to want you to rip CDs to your computer rather than just have an external CD player, which isn't ideal; and ii) whether people think there is any point in me keeping the Dali Zensor 3 speakers if I've already got the Linn?

Thanks for any advice!

Do you have the speakers for the Kiko as it looks like the base station unit can only be used with the linn Kiko speakers as they are active and the crossover is in the base station.

The Kiko has analogue inputs on the rear so to use the project turntable you will need a phono preamp (project Phono box, rega A2D etc.) and it looks like it also has a 3.5mm aux input on the front so you could use this for a CD but wiring would not be elegant.

So, unless you have the kiko speakers the base until is pretty much useless. Even if you have them then I would be tempted to buy something like the Yamaha RN602 (has a phono input and proper streaming) and a Marantz CD6006 to go with the Zensor 3's and project turntable. If streaming is not a high priority then the matching PM6006 is worth a look. Selling the Kiko should cover all of the costs as it looks like they go for £700ish with speakers it may even cover a nice cartridge upgrade for the turntable.

Not sure if this helps but it is a start.

Thanks. I do have the accompanying Linn Kiko speakers - so i think what you've suggested is a good option.

Is there any reason you would go for the Yamaha and Marantz over the cambridge audio versions of Amp/CD player i mentioned in my original post? I was recommended the cambridge audio stuff by Richer Sounds - apparently they also closely linked so might be pushing cambridge stuff.

Separately - do you know a good site to sell audio equipment on?

Thanks for your help.

As you say Cambridge and Richersounds are closely linked and this is sort of their house brand and only place you can buy Cambridge.

The Dali tend to be quite a bright speaker and so work well with a more mellow front end, both the Marantz and Yamaha give you that.

There is a classified section on here but do read the rules first, especially about conducting all conversation in the for sale thread, mods are pretty strict on that.

I have also had reasonable success on facebook market place and then there are gumtree and ebay.

Here is the sold items ebay listings, looks like one system sold but had 18 bids so reasonable interest, you will obviously loose fees etc.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I'd definitely be tempted to get the Linn system up and running. As well as the analogue input it also has both coax and optical digital inputs so plenty of scope to add a CD player if you wish.

I too would get the Linn Kiko system up and running in order to check out the operating software. Many Internet-connected products are let down by buggy or awkward software. Checking out the way the Kiko system operates could make the decision, between separates or kiko all-in-one system, an easy one.

I had a quick scan on Google earlier and the setup certainly looked a bit awkward from the reviews. However it's a Linn DSM device so will be an openhome compatible renderer (openhome is an improved extended version of DLNA) so using it to play your own files will be easy once it's setup, especially if you're an Android user as the excellent BubbleUPNP app supports openhome devices.

Ultimately it's a Linn so it's not gonna be crap sounding, it was a 2.5k system when new let's not forget.

The eBay link above seems to suggest it still might be worth ~700 quid second hand so at the least it should find something else if you don't like it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom