Help!

Jonthedrum

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here and I am after some advice as I have tied myself up in knots!

Scenario and what I’d like to achieve:
I have about 400 cds.
Denon amp
Turntable ( in storage)
Md player
Cambridge audio Cd and separate DAC
Wilmslow audio Force 6 floor standers ( home built from their kit)
2 iMacs

Apple TV
iPhone
So I moved house and my living room is quite small.. the floor standing speakers are physically too big and to be honest I’ve fallen out of love with my separates.
I’d love some ideas as the best way to have access to my cd collection ( I considered buying a Brennan but decided against it as it’s just a raspberry pi in a box) possibly by using one of my reformatted macs , laboriously uploading every cd into iTunes ?! and streaming somehow to some small and sexy sonos style speakers ( but without the price tag!)
Ideally something in stereo ( 2speakers) with a sub and possibly duplicate in the dining room. I like the idea of barking commands at the home snooping amazon echo / dot ..
completely in the dark as to what’s best plan so any suggestions are welcome !
cheers
Jon

If you have a laptop, you can purchase a external hard disk drive where you can solely store them on here. Using a program (dBPowerAmp) will enable you to archive your music. Do decide on a format first. Experiment with AIFF, WAV and FLAC. If you hear no difference, then FLAC is most peoples favorite although if you're locked into apple then use AIFF.

Once you have archived your CD's (it'll be a chore for sure). When archiving, do check the details to (i.e. the wording of the CD as not all are on the database and obscure ones will require you to intervene (it is quite rare now), the other side is miscellaneous/various albums compilations. Correct these as no archiving system seems to get it just right and usually throws some songs into its own folder causing its own issues.

For a player with the laptop, simply using a program like JRiver which has a partnering phone remote control app (android - iphone).

From this point, you will need a USB DAC to incorporate it in your system (if its stereo) or if you have an amp with HDMI, try it via that option first to see how good the internal DAC is. From that point you simple need to start the laptop up, open the program, open the app on your compatible mobile device and select what you wish to listen to

As for Amazon Echo and control, I've heard jRiver works with it although I've never used this side so cannot comment it

Don't use wave, no benefit and plenty of negatives why it's bad

Bigger in size
No metadata
No error correction/CRC
No embedded album art
No replay gain
I use a Synology Nas and squeezeboxes for multi room audio. Works well, and cheap. Doesn't play hd audio but fine for audio.from.cds

Don't use wave, no benefit and plenty of negatives why it's bad

Bigger in size
No metadata
No error correction/CRC
No embedded album art
No replay gain
I use a Synology Nas and squeezeboxes for multi room audio. Works well, and cheap. Doesn't play hd audio but fine for audio.from.cds

Why not just buy a 6 month Spotify code (to see if this works) for about £5. Run the app in its highest quality from your phone with airplay to the Apple TV. Optical from the Apple TV (depending on version) To your DAC then to the amp. Really easy to control. Really cheap to see if it works for you or if there are holes in the collection and unless you spend quite a bit on speakers I bet it sounds as good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom