High-End AV Receiver Group Test - review discussion

Yeah but they don't go in the rack do they! ;)

power amps don't have to either :)

pity avforums don't (or can't) invest in some bench testing kit for av amps - would be great to see quantitative tests - like for the TVs - where the reviews don't just rely on "eyes" :)

I can git 13 in my lounge, but I have to put my gran out in the garden :(

It's terrrible and she insists on tapping on the window to let her in.

How rude, tapping on the window, spoiling the film! LOL

power amps don't have to either :)

pity avforums don't (or can't) invest in some bench testing kit for av amps - would be great to see quantitative tests - like for the TVs - where the reviews don't just rely on "eyes" :)

I know what you mean. Very subjective. Still everyone's ears are different, and a room has much more influence on sound than it ever will on visuals. But knowing that the processing and amplification is responding as expected is a good start. I guess the other very subjective question is how useful would such data be within home cinema applications? It probably will tell us that some manufacturers are massively bloating their output figures, but we know this already and it matters little to most; i.e. they have too small a room to worry these mammoth AVRs. Mine is tiny in reality and couldn't be used to stretch any of the beasts on test here.

No Onkyo?

I don't think Onkyo supplied AVForums with any receivers to compare? They seem to be avoiding submitting review models since they dropped Audyssey and introduced their own AccuEQ system.

Which reminds me. Haven't Pioneer formed some kind of alliance with DIRAC?

Dirac announces strategic audio technology distribution agreement with Pioneer

April 21, 2016

Pioneer will distribute Dirac’s suite of audio optimization technologies to Japanese manufacturers of sound systems and additionally, will leverage the solutions within their consumer, commercial and OEM audio applications

Uppsala, Sweden – Swedish audio technology provider Dirac Research today announced an agreement with Pioneer Corporation to distribute their suite of digital technologies to the OEM audio market in Japan. The product categories cover computer speakers, sound bars, Bluetooth speakers, TV loudspeakers, portable audio devices, educational support products as well as amusement equipment featuring arcade games and others. Pioneer will also be leveraging Dirac solutions within a variety of consumer products and commercial audio applications.

“About three years ago, Dirac introduced us to their suite of digital sound quality optimization technologies,” commented Mr. Osamu Takechi,Senior General Manager of Pioneer Industrial Solutions Division. “Completely different from conventional virtual surround and/or equalization, the Dirac solutions are both theoretically and practically proven to fundamentally improve an audio systems’ performance. We were quite impressed with Dirac; hence, we decided to integrate their technologies into our newest speaker systems. We are now in a position to market these groundbreaking technologies in Japan.”

Specializing in digital room correction, sound field control and sound optimization, Dirac Research has developed a range of world-leading solutions tailored for different audio systems, such as speaker and earphone optimization, soundstage widening for multiple speakers, sound quality optimization for portable devices and digital room correction for HiFi systems.

“We are excited about the synergy between Dirac and Pioneer and look forward to delivering superior audio solutions to Japanese OEM’s,” commented Dr. Mathias Johansson, CEO of Dirac. “We anticipate that the integration of our advanced technologies with innovative hardware from Pioneer and the other Japanese manufacturers will establish new benchmarks for audio performance in a variety of product categories.” Johansson concluded.
Dirac announces strategic audio technology distribution agreement with Pioneer

Could DIRAC be something you get via both Pioneer and Onkyo receivers in the future?

Last edited:
#3 exist on 2200 so I believe it also exist on 7200

I think it exists on the Pioneer as well. Which, ironically, made it very wife friendly as she can use the playstation etc without turning the amp on and suffering the better sound.

I got a wife who doesn't like having to suffer the better sound too. Maybe they are sisters or maybe we have the same wife ???

I got a wife who doesn't like having to suffer the better sound too. Maybe they are sisters or maybe we have the same wife ???

They will wonder from one house to another and happily accept food from whoever feeds them :nono:

Don't forget to let them out at night so that they can do their business in your neighbour's garden.

Last edited:

Possibly. Surround sound makes her jump if she's on her own. What can ya do? :D

space obviously isn't much of a premium ...

if you can fit 11 speakers in your lounge :) !

Actually there was no room in my signature to mention the stereo system that's also in the parlour ...! But I'm not a big fan of the one-box solution to 11 amplifier channels.

@Steve Withers Greetings Mr Withers! Is there any chance of your updating this splendid review when the new 11-channel Onkyo receiver (I can't seem to find its model number, sorry) becomes available in a few months?

Yes I am surprised that the 11.2 channel Onkyo was never reviewed as it's one hell of a receiver. (I've got one) the new one will be the 3100 and am debating between that or the Anthem 1120. For me nothing beats top end quality and the convenience of running 4 atmos channels out of the box, my cabinet is crowded enough as is.

btw whilst I run in an open cabinet - I've never heard the fan or fans (no idea which) in the 7200 spin-up.

either they haven't come on or are super quiet !
Me too. I'll sometimes have an all day session of music and films which can go quite high in volume and never once have noticed the fan.

My overall feeling to the Denon is that it is flexible and competent but lacks a little excitement for movies. That warm sound that people talk about maybe. I've had other amps in the past where in a movie you'd get the odd spine chilling moment where the audio shocks you. You never seem to get those with the Denon, it's all more laid back and flatter.

I played the theme tune to Game of Thrones on my old Anthem 710 and also on the X7200WA. It was a little bolder and more involving on the Anthem. Not much, but there.

Interesting result, i expected the arcam to win this one out tbh.
So even with options like dirac and arc the winner is a receiver with xt32
What would you say about the arcam then, with only 7 channells of amplification.
i would agree with smurfin regarding the anthem, its double the price here compared to its usa rrp.

What would you say about the arcam then, with only 7 channells of amplification.

It has Dirac. Which trounces every other eq system out there at this end of the market.

Not sure why people are getting hung up on amplifier numbers. Most people won't ever use more than 7 amps, and those that do go to lots of trouble installing speakers everywhere so it's not a big deal adding a power amp if required imho

Interesting result, i expected the arcam to win this one out tbh.
So even with options like dirac and arc the winner is a receiver with xt32

i would agree with smurfin regarding the anthem, its double the price here compared to its usa rrp.

As much as I get tired of the whole rip off Britain mantra, despite duties etc the price should never be double.

My mrx300 cost me £800 to buy, which was fantastic value. £3k for this one? - go figure.

Interesting. I read the manual on the 7200 before I bought the Yamaha, and it seamed to suggest that while you could select a source to pass through in standby, this had to be defined in the setup or resort to the last input selected.

The Yamaha actually allows you to switch passthrough sources using the remote, even when it is in standby.

If the Denon allows you to do this aswell, then I've missed a trick and perhaps purchased the wrong model, as it was a close call between the Yam and the Denon for me.
Yeah.... sorry, my mistake. I didn't understand it properly because something like that would newer cross my mind.
It can't do that.

It has Dirac. Which trounces every other eq system out there at this end of the market.

Not sure why people are getting hung up on amplifier numbers. Most people won't ever use more than 7 amps, and those that do go to lots of trouble installing speakers everywhere so it's not a big deal adding a power amp if required imho

It is a big deal for me for one and there is thread on avs about this that is very popular. I love the full 11.2 powered channels (would love even more so I could run 6-8 overhead speakers) so I don't have to muck around with more boxes etc... I guess it's one of those things you have experience for yourself but I am pretty sure with multichannel overhead (Atmos and DTS:X) more will follow suit. Plus these amps have huge power reserves which add to sound quality as they tend to be at the top of the food chain.

Great review, although it's a shame that the Marantz SR7010 (its top-of-the-range receiver) wasn't included in the review (or at least mentioned). I think features and sound quality are very similar to the Denon receiver and, given that it is now widely available online for £1069, I think it deserves some attention.
I decided not to include the Marantz SR7010 in the group test because of the price differential between it and the rest of the receivers I was looking at. Plus the SR7009 won the Dolby Atmos group test I did last year. However you're absolutely right, the SR7010 offers a great performance and amazing value at that price.

@Steve Withers Greetings Mr Withers! Is there any chance of your updating this splendid review when the new 11-channel Onkyo receiver (I can't seem to find its model number, sorry) becomes available in a few months?
Well, Onkyo would actually have to provide us with a review sample first Ken. As another poster mentioned, we haven't seen any Onkyo receivers since they dropped Audyssey EQ.

that's a shame as their top models are really up there.

This made an interesting read Steve, but no cigar because the winner's on the home page!
That's a good point, I've changed the image to something slightly less obvious. The problem is that if I'd used one of the other receivers as the image, then I could also be accused of being deliberately misleading.

Could DIRAC be something you get via both Pioneer and Onkyo receivers in the future?

I can see the high-end models of many of the manufacturers moving from Audyssey to Dirac in the future unless Audyssey comes out with some super-powered next-gen EQ to replace XT32.

Not sure why people are getting hung up on amplifier numbers. Most people won't ever use more than 7 amps, and thosef

Trounces is a bit much when compared to ARC dont you think?

The Anthem is cheaper then the Arcam, for who wants a full atmos experience is the more obvious choice IMO, in the arcam you would have to spend another 1k at least to get that extra four channells, and the fact that ARC EQs the high channells is a plus compared to the Arcam.

I think it exists on the Pioneer as well. Which, ironically, made it very wife friendly as she can use the playstation etc without turning the amp on and suffering the better sound.

You know of an actual female who uses a games console? Send her in for scientific experiments immediately...:)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom