Hisense 08B (H55O8BUK) 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. Tech Radar claim that Dolby Vision on this tv is essentially broken. Just goes to show I guess - panel variations, subjectivity etc.

Good, informative review. It's nice that those on a budget can experience OLED tech...

Last edited by a moderator:
"with onscreen images we could tell there was just a slight yellow push making things just a smidge too warm, but nothing that a normal viewer would pick up on in most cases"
Define a normal viewer please. We are always told that nobody, in their right mind, would bother about getting this set calibrated and rightly so, hence one is left with a yellow bias. This set is getting very close to the price point of better known makes and from what I can see does not really deliver on various crucial points.

Good review Dr. Phil.

Sadly this TV is not going to sell well not due to brand name but due to the asking price.

Who will.buy this when the competitor OLEDs with better features and picture processing are available around the same price range.

It's £1199 already though and will clearly drop to £999 (or less) for Black Friday..

It's £1199 already though and will clearly drop to £999 (or less) for Black Friday..
I think its already been as low as £899 on the hisense website, if it gets to that price point again i can see a few people going for it instead of a b9.

Interesting. Tech Radar claim that Dolby Vision on this tv is essentially broken. Just goes to show I guess - panel variations, subjectivity etc.
Just had a quick read. He says the Netflix app was buggy on his sample and that has nothing to do with DV. I didn't have any issues with the app, or Dolby Vision content and we are the only review outlet to have actually tested this TV properly with measurements and industry tests.

Last edited:
"with onscreen images we could tell there was just a slight yellow push making things just a smidge too warm, but nothing that a normal viewer would pick up on in most cases"
Define a normal viewer please. We are always told that nobody, in their right mind, would bother about getting this set calibrated and rightly so, hence one is left with a yellow bias. This set is getting very close to the price point of better known makes and from what I can see does not really deliver on various crucial points.
Yes, when you have too much red, a stable green and a lack of blue in the greyscale you end up with a warm yellow to whites. Video white is actually a warm white, so this slight push of a little more yellow is not a major issue that viewers (by normal I mean the general public, not videophiles) will notice.
This TV is actually not far away at all to matching many of the entry-level OLEDs from the big brands for image quality, but obviously brand snobbery will be an issue for it.

The LG B8 and the Philips 754 are already cheaper than this at £999-1099 depending on where you buy.

The LG B8 and the Philips 754 are already cheaper than this at £999-1099 depending on where you buy.
As I mention in the review, prices will fluctuate at this time of year in the run-up to Black Friday.

Just had a quick read. He says the Netflix app was buggy on his sample and that has nothing to do with DV. I didn't have any issues with the app, or Dolby Vision content and we are the only review outlet to have actually tested this TV properly with measurements and industry tests.

Thank you so much for the review, I'm just a bog-standard user, so think the image quality is brilliant and yes I was one of those that picked it up at 899. Do you guys usually post up calibration settings? not that I'll notice much difference.

Thank you so much for the review, I'm just a bog-standard user, so think the image quality is brilliant and yes I was one of those that picked it up at 899. Do you guys usually post up calibration settings? not that I'll notice much difference.

Put it in Cinema Night for a dim room with white balance set to Warm and gamma 2.4
Put it in Cinema Day for a brighter room during the day with white balance Warm and gamma 2.2

Anything else requires full calibration, but these should be good starting points for accuracy.

Calibration settings are bespoke on a per tv basis, as they are all different out the box, using someone else's settings will more than likely make your image worse

Are these known to be particularly good? I haven't been keeping up to date with what's good / not.
I haven't seen either yet and no review samples have been offered at this time.

Are these known to be particularly good? I haven't been keeping up to date with what's good / not.
In my opinion, and its not an educated one, if budget allows and its a couple of hundred pounds difference, then go for an LG or Panasonic.

Put it in Cinema Night for a dim room with white balance set to Warm and gamma 2.4
Put it in Cinema Day for a brighter room during the day with white balance Warm and gamma 2.2

Anything else requires full calibration, but these should be good starting points for accuracy.
Thank you, I actually use cinema day as the default for most things, so those little extra tweaks are welcome.

Its a given this will struggle to shift at the current price point - you can already get an LG 55B9 for £1099 very or £989 with BNPL.

Interesting to see what Black Friday brings but I think £899 is more realistic RRP for this given the superior competition.

I wonder if the Hisense and Philips OLEDs will get the same capability that LG's have with Nvidia GPUs and VRR over HDMI? That would make these more appealing for sure.

I think it's a given they will be better than any hisense, had 3 different models of Hisense TV all replaced as all have broken. Wouldn't touch one again for free.

In Australia the 65” Hisense is currently £700 cheaper than the LG C9 ( we don’t seem have the B9 here) and the C9 is on special so is cheaper than the Sony A8G and Panasonic GZ1000. The Hisense seems like a bargain, and is around the same price as mid-range edge-lit LCD sets from the big manufacturers.
However, it was recently more expensive, so definitely worth watching prices.

Oled for the masses - is what this Hisense TV is about.

In China the TV would cost £500 in sterling.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for this review. I know you didn't recommend viewer settings due to these being subjective, but could you please advise if you used Dynamic picture and what settings gave you optimum colour settings? I find that skin tones are very bright and unnatural in dynamic as well as HDR Dynamic and Standard when viewing HDR content on Netflix. I am aware you have mentioned Cinema as best setting, but in bright daytime I would like to take advantage of the OLED Dynamic picture.
Cheers

I don't recommend any dynamic settings. If you want the best picture quality then Cinema is the one setting that gets close to being accurate.

Perhaps after sometime this might be the first £999 - 55inch OLED. Not sure when as Black Friday is very close to launch date, so perhaps it will fall to £999 next year.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom