Question Hisense 55AE7400FTUK calibration and settings question

Silk186

Novice Member
Reaction score
I ordered this tv a few weeks ago and have been using it for about 2 weeks. I'm very happy with the design, fairly happy with the picture quality, less impressed with the software (poor menus, poor calibration and no Disney+ support) and disappointed with the instructions (nothing about settings). That said, £600 with £150 rebate for a new 55" is a good deal.

My first issue is audio out. I connect my TV to Edifier S1000 over optical. With my 5 year old LG display this just worked. With this display, the volume on the remote doesn't work and I need to use the volume for the speakers. I can have sound out of the TV and external speakers but I want the TV to control volume output to the speakers. I did see something on Reddit about connect a pair of cheap headphones to solve the problem but this seems like a stupid solution.

Setting:
  • Audio output: SPDIF only
  • Digital Audio Out: Pass Through or PCM. - I've tried both a don't notice a difference.
Calibrations settings. I'm not going to spend hundreds on calibration hardware, especially on a budget display. Does anyone have calibration guidelines or a tutorial that explains settings and how to do it?

I have the 43-inch 7500 model and the OOB settings seem pretty good on Cinema Night mode.

I didnt really change much other than the usual disabling of motion settings, noise reduction etc.

You can get calibration disks but I have been tinkering with the settings on my new tv, Hisense also, using the YouTube videos. Some are much better than others, in that they actually tell you what you should be looking for. Lots just run a load of test screens past you assuming you know what they are.
I have only used the 2-point selection as it will get me near enough there for my old eyes not to notice.
I could spend a lifetime tinkering with the 20-point.

You can get calibration disks but I have been tinkering with the settings on my new tv, Hisense also, using the YouTube videos. Some are much better than others, in that they actually tell you what you should be looking for. Lots just run a load of test screens past you assuming you know what they are.
I have only used the 2-point selection as it will get me near enough there for my old eyes not to notice.
I could spend a lifetime tinkering with the 20-point.
Sounds like you got it good enough. I was surprised when the mention of the work 'calibration' was met with a warning on a Reddit thread, basically saying that the only way is with calibration hardware which is a bit elitist to expect everyone buys a TV worth the additional cost of calibration hardware.

I didn't find anything when I searched for my model number before but I assume most menus are the same across the Hisense line. Do you recommend any in particular? I don't want to spend three days tweaking a £600 tv.

I would assume that all 2020 Hisense models have the same colour calibration software. I found that changine the white balance had the most effect.
Settings>Picture Mode Settings>Expert Settings>White Balance

Using as I said just the 2 point I reduced RGB offset on all three colours to -20. I found the RGB gain
adjustment did absolutely nothing. I know there has been complaints about Hisense calibration controls
in so much as some did not work. Maybe the gain control is still in that state.
I cannot recall which calibration screen I used just it consisted of alternate bands of the selected colour and hopefully black. I found red was worst the black bands were in fact quite red. So reducing the offset you see this red change to black, same with the other 2 colours though the blue was not bad at 0. For uniformity reduced all to -20.
Was watching the snooker last night on BBC and a 4K demo from SES on satellite and looks perfect to me so am not going to tinker any more.

I would assume that all 2020 Hisense models have the same colour calibration software. I found that changine the white balance had the most effect.

Using as I said just the 2 point I reduced RGB offset on all three colours to -20. I found the RGB gain
adjustment did absolutely nothing. I know there has been complaints about Hisense calibration controls
I cannot recall which calibration screen I used just it consisted of alternate bands of the selected colour and hopefully black. I found red was worst the black bands were in fact quite red. So reducing the offset you see this red change to black, same with the other 2 colours though the blue was not bad at 0. For uniformity reduced all to -20.
Was watching the snooker last night on BBC and a 4K demo from SES on satellite and looks perfect to me so am not going to tinker any more.
Thanks for the tips, I will tinker with those settings tonight.

Any chance you remembered the Utube calibration video?. Wouldnt mind giving it a try on the 55A7300 i got today. I need to play around with settings more

It is this one.

On my list after searching tv calibration is about the 4th video. Ignore the rubbish about looking for black and white bars you are looking for black bars and whichever colour you select.

Thanks a lot Bogart il try when kids are down. The red on 4K sticks out like a sore thumb as its way too bright. I did manage to try gaming on it today and im really happy with that

Would these settings work with the U7QF 50 inch model?

Absolutely no reason why not as I assume is same software. Just play about until you are happy you cannot screw anything up.

Thanks a lot Bogart il try when kids are down. The red on 4K sticks out like a sore thumb as its way too bright. I did manage to try gaming on it today and im really happy with that
As I say just play about with it until happy. Youtube has loads of calibration videos some better than others. One fault with a lot is they display a screen and then tell you nothing about what you should be seeing!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom