hisense 65u8b vs samsung ue65f9000

trif

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've seen the hisense recommended as a good budget non HDR10 TV, how does it compare to the older Samsung F9000 (UE65F9000) which I've been offered 2nd hand for less than the Hisense, Thanks

The Hisense should be quite a bit better in all respects. The Samsung is 7 years old now and the entry level 4k models did not have good upscaling. I already replied to your post in a previous thread. If you are looking to use this TV for HD and lower you should consider instead second hand HD only models to avoid upscaling. If not, you should consider a smaller TV.

If you are planning to use the TV for UHD content, just not HDR you are on the right track looking at models like the Hisense U8B or Samsung RU8000 but it's likely you are overspending and something cheaper will be just as good. It depends how much you want to pay for better motion and how much you care/are sensitive to motion.

Thanks, after the first response I didn't want to hijack the other thread, currently my media centre only does HD but yea with 65" I'd probably upgrade it and start getting more UHD content, or at least make the media centre do the upscale, I didn't think there were many HD 65" TVs?

I'm pretty sensitive to motion, the JVC made that dark episode of Game of Thrones (where they're fighting in Castle Black) almost unwatchable!

There are no 65" HD TVs any more, but there will be second hand models in the past that are HD only. HD TVs may not have as many pixels as 4k ones do, but they suffer less as a result when playing back lower quality and lower resolution content since there's less upscaling going on.

The problem you may face is finding UHD content that isn't also available in HDR. Depending where you source it from, or how you do, it's hard sometimes to use UHD without HDR.

TVs that make the cut with HDR, that don't have problems displaying content that comes with HDR data cost quite a bit more than the Hisense U8B and if you do come across content available with HDR data and you don't have a capable HDR TV, you will come across picture quality issues.

At 65" the very cheapest you'll find one new would be around £1200 for the Sony 65XF9005 or Samsung 65Q70R.

If you are looking for a TV strictly for SDR use and you are willing to avoid using HDR then you are much better off going with a TV like the Hisense U8B or Samsung RU8000 I mentioned already as those are the first and cheapest models that come with 120hz panels for better motion.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom