Hisense H65NU8700 4K LED TV Review & Discussion

Interesting review Steve - thanks. Doesn't read like Hisense have delivered on this one - promising the earth in the initial specs and belatedly producing something that doesn't match is not exactly the smartest move, but actually lying about specs is unforgivable.

Seems like they borrowed more than the design from Samsung this year as I expected them to be throwing the kitchen sink at their top-end edge-lit model but they haven't bothered ...

Wow, major disappointment from Hisense. You can pick this up for £1500 but I'd happily pay the extra £300 for a Sony XE90.

Yup. Have been holding off on buying a 65" TV waiting for this and it's a bit of a disappointment.

I think a Sony during black Friday or early next year is beckoning me.

Last edited:
Wow, this is a real shame, I know a few people were waiting on this review before pulling the trigger. Does bring my search for a killer 4K TV down to only two options now though!

Interesting review Steve - thanks. Doesn't read like Hisense have delivered on this one - promising the earth in the initial specs and belatedly producing something that doesn't match is not exactly the smartest move, but actually lying about specs is unforgivable.

Seems like they borrowed more than the design from Samsung this year as I expected them to be throwing the kitchen sink at their top-end edge-lit model but they haven't bothered ...
In fairness to Hisense, I've found them to be very honest in their marketing materials and specifications and the brightness claim for the NU8700 is the first time I've seen them exaggerate a number.

Faulty set or bad QC?

Do you give any feedback to the manufacturers Steve and in return do you get a response to it?

Faulty set or bad QC?

Do you give any feedback to the manufacturers Steve and in return do you get a response to it?
Probably neither, it's more likely that they just weren't able to get the peak brightness that they originally wanted from an edge lit LED TV. Yes we do feed back our findings to the manufacturers and Hisense have been very good at following our recommendations when developing their next generation of TVs.

In fairness to Hisense, I've found them to be very honest in their marketing materials and specifications and the brightness claim for the NU8700 is the first time I've seen them exaggerate a number.

Well hopefully Hisense get round to telling John Lewis - they have it advertised as:
Ultra-HD Premium Certified
1,000 Nits HDR Supreme
4 x HDMI
3 x USB

Mate is after a budget 65" TV in time for Xmas, is there any reason to consider this over the N6800 at £1000?

Well hopefully Hisense get round to telling John Lewis - they have it advertised as:
Ultra-HD Premium Certified
1,000 Nits HDR Supreme
4 x HDMI
3 x USB
I just spoke to Hisense, they think the peak brightness should be higher (nearly 1000nits), so they might send me a different sample just to double check. As for the other three items in that list, they agree they are wrong and will contact John Lewis to correct them at point of sale.

Mate is after a budget 65" TV in time for Xmas, is there any reason to consider this over the N6800 at £1000?
The main reason for getting the NU8700 would be if it could do nearly 1000 nits of peak brightness as Hisense claim.

Funny one this, I'm struggling to figure out why this is more expensive than the N6800 variant. Am I missing something? What happened to cheap as chips, value for money Hisense? They got greedy or what?

I assume this has a 120Hz panel, otherwise I can't see what this has over the N6800.

Even if it is 120Hz, I still don't see how it's worth the premium. Fair enough if it was 10bit and had proper HDR performance but this is no different to the N6800 from what I can see, except for less connectivity and an emptier wallet, open to correction mind you.

Even if it is 120Hz, I still don't see how it's worth the premium. Fair enough if it was 10bit and had proper HDR performance but this is no different to the N6800 from what I can see, except for less connectivity and an emptier wallet, open to correction mind you.

Trust me I wasn't arguing it was worth the premium, this is probably the most disappointing TV of the year.

Trust me I wasn't arguing it was worth the premium, this is probably the most disappointing TV of the year.
Yup, agreed. I keep thinking back to 65M7000 and 65M5510 etc going for a song less than a year ago, now this for £1500...ahmmm, nope.

Thanks for taking the time to review this set Steve, I've been waiting for a fair review and you always give a good solid fair review.
Like others have said, I'm failing to see how this is an improvement over the cheaper N6800 with less inputs and virtually identical performance from its panel in terms of colour accuracy out of the box, peak brightness etc and that both models biggest let down is it's HDR performance.

I was looking to replace my current Hisense set with either the N6800 or preferably (pre-review) NU8700 but for such a sizeable cost you are really looking for a strong HDR performance also to future proof and add longevity, which Hisense don't seem to offer this year. Shame.
Thanks again, I think you've helped me to narrow down my options

Is there a Plex client for their platform?

Yup, agreed. I keep thinking back to 65M7000 and 65M5510 etc going for a song less than a year ago, now this for £1500...ahmmm, nope.

The first year they came to the UK they released a cracking 9 series model and more importantly a quality cheap 7 series both with Full Array backlight.

Last year they didn't release a high-end product and this year the high-end 9 series is 70" only.

As you say they have released this 8 series that doesn't live up to expectations - you seem to be mainly paying for the design ... it does have a cracking back (unless they have changed that as well!!). That was my reason for saying they have borrowed quite a lot from Samsung but maybe somebody should point out to Hisense that Samsung are failing pretty badly so copying them and trying to undercut them is maybe not the dead-cert it was a few years ago ...

below the series 9 are not Uled (FALD) they are Edge-led!
it is a monsengere advertisement of this brand, it's the same thing as the fake Qled at Samsung and TCL!
beware of counterfeits ...

Was hoping from the specs that this tv would be in at least the same class as the Samsung KS7000 last year. There is a serious lack of decent HDR on a budget this year with the bare minimum when wanting HDR to look at least "decent" being the Sony XE90.

Lets hope the new sample is different. This would have been a cracking buy at KS7000 prices or cheaper from last year.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom