Hisense U7A (H65U7AUK) Review & Comments

Interesting review. I picked up the H65N6800 last week which can be got for close to £700 now and reading this review the new model doesn't take any real steps forwards, I would even go so far as to say if you primarily watch SDR it's a step backwards.

It seems to have higher peak brightness for HDR although somewhat broken, perhaps a firmware update will fix this. What is annoying is the black floor has gotten higher in this panel and the native contrast performance is poor compared with last years model. Its a VA panel which you usually trade black levels with viewing angles but here is seems you get the worst of both worlds.

Last edited:
Interesting review. I picked up the H65N6800 last week which can be got for close to £700 now and reading this review the new model doesn't take any real steps forwards, I would even go so far as to say if you primarily watch SDR it's a step backwards.

It seems to have higher peak brightness for HDR although somewhat broken, perhaps a firmware update will fix this. What is annoying is the black floor has gotten higher in this panel and the native contrast performance is poor compared with last years model. Its a VA panel which you usually trade black levels with viewing angles but here is seems you get the worst of both worlds.
I'd say the U7A is a definite step forwards in terms of image accuracy and the effectiveness of the local dimming. Having said that, at £700 the 65N6800 is an absolute bargain.

@Steve
I'd say the U7A is a definite step forwards in terms of image accuracy and the effectiveness of the local dimming. Having said that, at £700 the 65N6800 is an absolute bargain.
hi steve been using settings on previous tvs that you have supplied was wondering if you will be releasing settings for this particular model as i just got my nu8700 replaced under warranty and was given this as a replacement thanks

I tried with Hisense, but never again. Got my 65M7000 18 months ago and the lack of support is crazy. The colours have never been right despite numerous firmware updates and settings. The apps section is abysmal. There's a huge monster thread on the forums about the unit.

I really had high hopes for them, but just think this will be more of the same. They may have tweaked this and that, but i still think they need to get the fundamentals right.

As a second TV in a bedroom or lounge it'll be fine, but as your main centre piece of your home AV setup i don't think Hisense can cut it.

I think it all depends on what you expect, they are cheap, this TV is new so is £1200, Is it worth that? No.

No hisense is worth the retail price, I also have the 65N6800, it's perfectly acceptable for £700 but it isn't an 8/10 TV at all, I had a 58DX750 as well and AVforums gave that an 8/10 also and it beats the hisense everywhere.

How can you use a soundbar with that stand, it would be miles Infront the TV??

Hisense TVs are a 6/10 at best.

think alot of it is down to panel lottery aswell i just received the 65 inch model of this tv yesterday and i must say the panel is pretty much flawless in it

if you keep your expectations in check and think what you are getting for the price point you are paying you have to think its a great deal

my brother purchased an lg oled 55c7 and has had it replaced 3 times now due to bad panels and numerous other issues and it cost around the 2000 mark so again i believe its all down to panel lottery and keeping expectations in line with what you are paying

The 55" (£599) is currently cheaper than the 50" (£649) Would it be the cheapest 55" 120htz Tv on the market right now?

Edit - 55" Currently available in Richer Sounds for £569

Last edited:
It doesn't have a headphone jack.
The N6800 from last year is WCG and fully metal construction (and slightly better sound) and also has a headphone jack. It's 60Hz buy I've seen no motion issues. Viewing angle was very good on it for VA, too.

I think it all depends on what you expect, they are cheap, this TV is new so is £1200, Is it worth that? No.

No hisense is worth the retail price, I also have the 65N6800, it's perfectly acceptable for £700 but it isn't an 8/10 TV at all, I had a 58DX750 as well and AVforums gave that an 8/10 also and it beats the hisense everywhere.

How can you use a soundbar with that stand, it would be miles Infront the TV??

Hisense TVs are a 6/10 at best.

What 65" TV for £700 would you give 8/10 or above? Surely Value for money comes into it and its all relative? If you cant name a tv around that price at that you would give 8/10+ you must think every single supplier is failing the consumer at that price bracket as performance should be much higher?

Comparing a Higher spec panasonic to the Hisense is not relavant. The 65DX750 cost over double the current price of Hisense, if it didnt beat the Hisense in every department I would be concerned. You directly compare a smaller TV that costs more?

I take your point on the list price. ive often thought reviews/reviewers, knowing full well the list price is only relevant for 5 mins with some brands (longer for others) should consider a price point that they would give the product a 10. (so if the u7a was launched at £800, would it have been given a 10 on value alone?)

Last edited:
Yea
What 65" TV for £700 would you give 8/10 or above? Surely Value for money comes into it and its all relative? If you cant name a tv around that price at that you would give 8/10+ you must think every single supplier is failing the consumer at that price bracket as performance should be much higher?

Comparing a Higher spec panasonic to the Hisense is not relavant. The 65DX750 cost over double the current price of Hisense, if it didnt beat the Hisense in every department I would be concerned. You directly compare a smaller TV that costs more?

I take your point on the list price. ive often thought reviews/reviewers, knowing full well the list price is only relevant for 5 mins with some brands (longer for others) should consider a price point that they would give the product a 10. (so if the u7a was launched at £800, would it have been given a 10 on value alone?)
I get your point but the reviews here don't take value Into account with the scoring as over the last few years the higher end edgelit samsungs score highly when they are the same price as OLED and they can't compete.

Of course hisense are cheaper and have to cut corner.

The WiFi has stopped working on my Hisense piece of junk TV, only a few weeks old, wired works but the WiFi keeps saying it's not connected when it was fine and nothings changed.

Avoid buying these crap TVs people.

I tried with Hisense, but never again. Got my 65M7000 18 months ago and the lack of support is crazy. The colours have never been right despite numerous firmware updates and settings. The apps section is abysmal. There's a huge monster thread on the forums about the unit.

I really had high hopes for them, but just think this will be more of the same. They may have tweaked this and that, but i still think they need to get the fundamentals right.

As a second TV in a bedroom or lounge it'll be fine, but as your main centre piece of your home AV setup i don't think Hisense can cut it.
i wouldn't even be able to live with them in the bedroom - colours are always a long way off respectable, and always in the reds.

I have a 65" K720 still but want to replace it due to lack of HDR, apart from that its a great TV still with great blacks, would this be a big step up on it?

Hi

I purchased the 55U7A TV on the 14th June 2018 so, I've been using it for 15 days but, over the last three days or so, three issues have popped up but, overall, I'm fairly happy the TV and I'll carry on checking it out for the next 20 days (JL purchase)!

In the meantime, there is one issue which I noticed from day one and I'm sure that these new 2018 U7A models have been purchased by many customers so, I would like to know if other buyers have this issue and, if so, whether or not they are happy to accept it!

It concerns Hisense advertising that the U7A is “bezel-less” and, has “edge to edge viewing” and, it's quite clear to me that the U7A TV's are being advertised as bezel-less" and, with "edge to edge" viewing/action!

Yes, there may be no actual bezel to talk about but, when the TV is on, I’m getting near on a half inch of “black border” at the top and on both sides! This is not the “edge to edge” viewing/action that I thought I was going to see!

Watching this U7A TV with this border is really no different than when I am watching my 49” Sony Bravia which actually has a half inch black plastic border!

I called Hisense tech support and explained my issue and, the male tech agreed with me and gave me a “ref number” with the added promise that he would escalate my complaint!

That was around five days ago and I’m still waiting for a response! Hisense have a excellent promotion video on the U7A front page! It shows a 55U7A TV showing different live scenes and it sure as hell does not show the “half inch” border that I’m seeing!

It’s “edge to edge” viewing as clear as day!

When I first emailed my issue to the Sales email address, I received a couple of replies saying that all "edge to edge" TV's have a visible 'linear divider'!

I said to the tech guy, why would TV manufacturers strive to manufacture a TV which is bezel-less when, in reality, when customers turn on their U7A TV's, they see a near on half inch on built in border at the top and both sides! It doesnt make sense!

If you go to the Hisense U7A product page, near the top, there is a 'product video' advertising the 55U7A model; it is a wonderful video with many clips which are actually being shown by the 55U7A TV and, what you'll see is 'edge to edge' viewing/action and, no half inch border at the top and both sides!

BTW, I sent Hisense a 'screenshot' of my 55U7A TV showing it's half inch black border in all it's glory but, so far, they have failed to reply!

The TV is claimed to be 'bezel-less' when, in reality, it actually has a very narrow bezel at the top and both sides but, I wouldn’t call it a bezel, more like a 2mm side and top capping! As for the 'claimed' “edge to edge” viewing/action, which I was fully expecting to see on my U7A!

Hi

I purchased the 55U7A TV on the 14th June 2018 so, I've been using it for 15 days but, over the last three days or so, three issues have popped up but, overall, I'm fairly happy the TV and I'll carry on checking it out for the next 20 days (JL purchase)!

In the meantime, there is one issue which I noticed from day one and I'm sure that these new 2018 U7A models have been purchased by many customers so, I would like to know if other buyers have this issue and, if so, whether or not they are happy to accept it!

It concerns Hisense advertising that the U7A is “bezel-less” and, has “edge to edge viewing” and, it's quite clear to me that the U7A TV's are being advertised as bezel-less" and, with "edge to edge" viewing/action!

Yes, there may be no actual bezel to talk about but, when the TV is on, I’m getting near on a half inch of “black border” at the top and on both sides! This is not the “edge to edge” viewing/action that I thought I was going to see!

Watching this U7A TV with this border is really no different than when I am watching my 49” Sony Bravia which actually has a half inch black plastic border!

I called Hisense tech support and explained my issue and, the male tech agreed with me and gave me a “ref number” with the added promise that he would escalate my complaint!

That was around five days ago and I’m still waiting for a response! Hisense have a excellent promotion video on the U7A front page! It shows a 55U7A TV showing different live scenes and it sure as hell does not show the “half inch” border that I’m seeing!

It’s “edge to edge” viewing as clear as day!

When I first emailed my issue to the Sales email address, I received a couple of replies saying that all "edge to edge" TV's have a visible 'linear divider'!

I said to the tech guy, why would TV manufacturers strive to manufacture a TV which is bezel-less when, in reality, when customers turn on their U7A TV's, they see a near on half inch on built in border at the top and both sides! It doesnt make sense!

If you go to the Hisense U7A product page, near the top, there is a 'product video' advertising the 55U7A model; it is a wonderful video with many clips which are actually being shown by the 55U7A TV and, what you'll see is 'edge to edge' viewing/action and, no half inch border at the top and both sides!

BTW, I sent Hisense a 'screenshot' of my 55U7A TV showing it's half inch black border in all it's glory but, so far, they have failed to reply!

The TV is claimed to be 'bezel-less' when, in reality, it actually has a very narrow bezel at the top and both sides but, I wouldn’t call it a bezel, more like a 2mm side and top capping! As for the 'claimed' “edge to edge” viewing/action, which I was fully expecting to see on my U7A!
tbh alot of companies use the bezel less term now even smart phones and laptops such as the dell xps 15 use terms like bezel less or bezel free in there marketing tbf iv yet to see any tv out yet which has no bezel at all and as nice as it would be it would also be an absolute pain when lifting to assemble on a stand or wall mounting as there would be fingerprints all around the edges of your screen

Good morning Daryl

Thanks for your reply!

Having looked at your previous threads, it seems that you don’t have one of the Hisense U7A models?

Reference bezel, as stated, Hisense are advertising it as ‘bezel-less’ and, I’m inclined to agree with them!

What is on the top and both sides of the TV is no more than a 2mm (if that) capping which is black and barely noticeable!

I’m very pleased with that but, my issue is that Hisense also advertise “edge to edge” action and, it’s not!

When the TV is on, there is a half inch border at the top and both sides so, what’s the point of having a bezel-less TV when, the TV is on, you see a half inch border at the top and both sides of the panel???

Thinking that many AV forum members have purchased one of these Hisense models, I posted in two ongoing U7A threads in these forums and, with reference to the “edge to edge” claim and my half inch built in border, no reply has mentioned this issue!

Good morning Daryl

Thanks for your reply!

Having looked at your previous threads, it seems that you don’t have one of the Hisense U7A models?

Reference bezel, as stated, Hisense are advertising it as ‘bezel-less’ and, I’m inclined to agree with them!

What is on the top and both sides of the TV is no more than a 2mm (if that) capping which is black and barely noticeable!

I’m very pleased with that but, my issue is that Hisense also advertise “edge to edge” action and, it’s not!

When the TV is on, there is a half inch border at the top and both sides so, what’s the point of having a bezel-less TV when, the TV is on, you see a half inch border at the top and both sides of the panel???

Thinking that many AV forum members have purchased one of these Hisense models, I posted in two ongoing U7A threads in these forums and, with reference to the “edge to edge” claim and my half inch built in border, no reply has mentioned this issue!
i actually received my 65u7a just last week as part of a warranty replacement for my hisense 65nu8700

i get what you are saying about the bezels in that there is what i would class as your material bezel around the screen and then there also appears to be a bezel built into the actual screen also my point was that all companies advertising bezel less or bezel free products are more or less lying as of this minute in time there is a bezel on them all regardless of how small it is its still there so they shouldnt be using them terms at all really but they are and so far they are being allowed to do that it was like my previous hisense nu8700 it was advertised at hdr 1000 on launch and on actual review it was only reaching around 700 nits peak brightness again they appear to be allowed to get off with this unfortunately

bheart

I've just checked mine (55u7a) and have the same as you, but also a small border at the bottom of the screen as well.

i actually received my 65u7a just last week as part of a warranty replacement for my hisense 65nu8700

i get what you are saying about the bezels in that there is what i would class as your material bezel around the screen and then there also appears to be a bezel built into the actual screen also my point was that all companies advertising bezel less or bezel free products are more or less lying as of this minute in time there is a bezel on them all regardless of how small it is its still there so they shouldnt be using them terms at all really but they are and so far they are being allowed to do that it was like my previous hisense nu8700 it was advertised at hdr 1000 on launch and on actual review it was only reaching around 700 nits peak brightness again they appear to be allowed to get off with this unfortunately

Hi Daryl

Thanks for your reply!

Thank goodness someone has actually acknowledged my concerns!

With regard bezels on TV’s, as we know it, a bezel actually encroaches on to the panel sides and top but, if you look closely, there is no bezel on the U7A models because it doesn’t actually sit on the front edges of the panel!

As I said earlier, and again, if you look at the edges of the TV, there is what I call a ‘capping’ which is no more that 2mm and it sits on both sides of the panel and at the top and, in effect, terminated the panel! I think that you nailed it when you said that it ‘around the screen’!

So, you’re also seeing the ‘built-in’ display bezel!

What are you thinking about the Hisense claim of ‘edge to edge’ action on the U7A models? Have you watched the ‘promotion video’ on the 55U7A TV models? It’s a great video which clearly shows “edge to edge” viewing/action!

The U7A models are built for edge to edge display so why aren’t we seeing it on our TV’s?

Why bother striving to built TV’s without bezels; when you first switch on the set, you immediately see a half inch built in border? I might as well be watching my Sony Bravia 49WE663 which actually has a half in black plastic border!

bheart

I've just checked mine (55u7a) and have the same as you, but also a small border at the bottom of the screen as well.

Hi DivnaKen

Its nice to know that I’m not the only buyer with a built-border but, Hisense are misrepresenting their U7A models - we should be seeing ‘edge to edge’ action with no built-in borders!

I have found this review on t3.com of the 55" version of this TV and it says:
"Of the SDR image presets, Standard and Dynamic are your best options. While the set has two cinema modes, neither sell the benefits of the panel, being rather flat and dull."
Hisense U7A 4K HDR 55-inch TV review: World Cup quality at a League 1 price
While the AVForums review says the Cinema modes are the best out of the box.
I guess I will find out when I get mine tomorrow. Both seem to agree that is an amazing TV for the price, so that is good.

Hi Steeve.
Thank you for this review, complete and interesting.
I have this screen since Saturday, and am very happy for the price!
However, it replaces a Panasonic 58EX780 ...
The settings of the Hisense out of the box are not bad, but ... Go post you (in video as usual?) Settings calibrated by you please?
For information, a MAJ was released in France a few days ago (the I0529), I do not know if you had this version or the I0511 during your test.
Sincerely

:)
IMG_20180702_102426.png
IMG_20180702_082053.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom