Hisense U7B (H55U7BUK) 4K TV Review & Comments

Really no judder viewing 24 fps content on a 60 Hz panel?

Yes, it was good and the pulldown was correct. (Obviously I'm talking about any introduced issues with judder).

Thanks for the review!
Bought one 2 weeks ago.

Is there a list of recommended settings for this one?
Cinema day and night and warm 2 the reviewer said.
Might be a decent gaming tv, did I miss the lag figures?

Good review. Can’t say I’m surprised by the limitations of the set.

Eight?! Seriously? Is this set really only 20% from perfection?

It supports DV, so what? With that panel it makes virtually no difference.

But the DSE and other uniformity will annoy every single time. OS will stop supporting any services in two years, during which one still can decide why the hell he got two remotes...

This is a TV. A big one. And cheap one. But those are the only positives of it. No way it deserves 8/10...

Last edited:
Eight?! Seriously? Is this set really only 20% from perfection?

It supports DV, so what? With that panel it makes virtually no difference.

But the DSE and other uniformity will annoy every single time. OS will stop supporting any services in two years, during which one still can decide why the hell he got two remotes...

This is a TV. A big one. And cheap one. But those are the only positives of it. No way it deserves 8/10...
Thanks for your input. We score within a given market sector, so an 8/10 is based against its peers and not perfection as you put it. Do you have evidence of your other points? Has Hisense dropped support of its own VIDAA U system in the last two years?
Also, Dolby Vision at this price point is exactly one of the major plus points of the system and why the technology exists.

Absolutely Phil. A 500 quid amp might get a 10, and a 3 grand one might get a 9. Is the 500 quid one better? Of course it isn't but according to groggi it would be. It's a question of context.

They're cheap for a reason, cheap parts and panels and Hisense has pretty bad customer service, phone them with any issue and it's the first time they've had of it.

Was the 1st person on here to have the K700, worked fine for a few months and broke, replacement broke, the next replacement broke, tried the 720 that broke, tried various N6800 but every single one had really bad panel problems like DSE and light bleed.

I doubt Hisense gets any repeat business, I would never ever get another one.

8/10 with all those panel issues is pretty amazing really.

At this section of the market, it was compared side by side with a Panasonic GX800 and Sharp UI7652, it performed well enough to earn its score. A lot of the issues with all three screens are down to the LCD technology issues, so you have to assess and measure against those. If you read the review I believe I make it very clear and manage expectations, it is being marked against its peers at the price point, not against anything else. If it was being compared and scored against an LG C9 then the Hisense would get a 4/10, probably. But we don't mark it that way and I think most readers understand it is marked against its peers at its market position.

Happy for constructive feedback.

Last edited:
I've got an M3300 50 inch. After the experience with Hisense support updates making the set worse and having to revert to an old firmware to cure the sound drop problem, I said I would never get another one. However, Richer Sounds are selling the 50 inch for £449 with a 6 year warranty. From what I've read of your review I'm very tempted. Would YOU buy one ?

They're cheap for a reason, cheap parts and panels and Hisense has pretty bad customer service, phone them with any issue and it's the first time they've had of it.

Was the 1st person on here to have the K700, worked fine for a few months and broke, replacement broke, the next replacement broke, tried the 720 that broke, tried various N6800 but every single one had really bad panel problems like DSE and light bleed.

I doubt Hisense gets any repeat business, I would never ever get another one.

Hmm...
Hisense is extremely popular for TVs and white goods in the UK -- growing in a way that the more established companies can only dream of (they're retreating anyways).

Hisense doesn't use cheap parts (where do you think they use cheap parts?). In fact, they use many parts that put them on a par with Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and LG.

They usually have class leading sound and physical build quality (especially at the budget end, which had been virtually unheard of until they entered the UK).

Yes, they seem to have uniformity issues (especially on edge lit models), but so did Sony and Samsung for many, many years. I guess they have a wider tolerance to which panels they'll accept from their suppliers, or sell a lot, so you see more bad ones.

They offer incredible bang for buck and sometimes really surprise (eg last year's budget model which had an almost factory calibrated accurate picture).

As for @grogi posting about smart platform losing apps - not sure, is there any proof? The VIDAA system appears to be customised Android. I know of no reports from models going back as far as five years losing apps.

The upcoming UK Hisense Roku TVs will be the best option for people worrying about apps being removed.

I think 8/10 is fair. Have you seen the competition at this price? What can match it? Samsung (but then the build quality/design is poorer, etc). Philips (nice picture/sound, but no - software issues). Panasonic (they only rebrand Vestel at the lower end now. When the GX800 is on offer, it might be able to match Hisense's price, but then the Hisense will be even cheaper). Toshiba is Vestel, who've come a long way, but have uniformity issues and poor HDR/very low contrast panels. Sony (XG7 series) is decidedly average at this level and far too expensive with a woeful smart platform.

Please tell me, why wouldn't you buy one?
Because I'm not looking for a TV at this price point. I actually haven't owned a TV in about two years now.
Everything I have to say about this TV is in the review and I am completely honest with my assessments and take into account price points, performance regards the technology used and who I think the target market is. Also, use reviews as a guide and try and see the TV you are interested in first hand before spending any money on one.

Because I'm not looking for a TV at this price point. I actually haven't owned a TV in about two years now.
Everything I have to say about this TV is in the review and I am completely honest with my assessments and take into account price points, performance regards the technology used and who I think the target market is. Also, use reviews as a guide and try and see the TV you are interested in first hand before spending any money on one.
Off topic, Phil, but I have some suggestions about AVF's review formatting.
There should be a small breakdown table with the measurements (eg black level etc) perhaps also linked (as a chart) to other recently reviewed models. It could also be added to the YouTube videos, which I guess are where most people would see the reviews.
I think.

At this section of the market, it was compared side by side with a Panasonic GX800 and Sharp UI7652, it performed well enough to earn its score. A lot of the issues with all three screens are down to the LCD technology issues, so you have to assess and measure against those. If you read the review I believe I make it very clear and manage expectations, it is being marked against its peers at the price point, not against anything else. If it was being compared and scored against an LG C9 then the Hisense would get a 4/10, probably. But we don't mark it that way and I think most readers understand it is marked against its peers at its market position.

Happy for constructive feedback.

So if the tested model performed exactly as an average in the market segment, it should get the middle mark - 5/10... There are 10 points in the scale, but only 7, 8 and 9 are really used.

I also don't see anything wrong with absolute marks and ratings either... As a buyer i don't need to be told that particular product is cheap - I can see it on the price tag. What I need to know is what I am paying for with a more expensive model. Does the 200 GBP extra to go with better Samsung make sense? I cannot do that if all marks are relative to market segment.

One more thing... There is a "value for money" category. That seems to be the "how good within its price category it is". If we have 'value for money' rating, the rest of the ratings should be purely objective.

The review could end up with two overall ratings then: objectively how good the set is, and how good for the money it is...

In this case: no-price-objections rating: 4/10, i-want-a-deal: 8/10.

So if the tested model performed exactly as an average in the market segment, it should get the middle mark - 5/10... There are 10 points in the scale, but only 7, 8 and 9 are really used.

Agreed. I've said exactly the same thing about the HiFi reviews here. Apparently, everything is above average!

Agreed. I've said exactly the same thing about the HiFi reviews here. Apparently, everything is above average!
It's not really that hard to understand. It's just common sense. A £599 8/10 is not the same as a £3500 8/10 product. Reading the review and watching the videos will actually tell you far more about a product than a score ever will.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom