Hisense U7B - Issue with Screen Resolution / Aspect Ratio

Burdock

Standard Member
Reaction score
Recently bought the H55U7BUK and have been having a problem with the TV picture not filling the screen properly. When watching terrestrial TV, the picture will randomly get stuck in what looks like 4:3 mode, with large black margins on each side of the picture. For example, on the BBC1 channel, the info bar says that the TV is in 16:9 mode and at a resolution of 704*576i, but the picture is squeezed as described. I thought it may be an aspect ratio issue, but no matter what setting I change it to, it makes no difference (I have it in Automatic normally). I have searched through the Settings Menu, but cannot find a quick solution to correct it. The only way of fixing it that I have found so far is to take the 'Restore to Factory Default' option, which obviously means continually setting the TV up from scratch (which is starting to grate now).

I have a Soundbar and Fire TV set up on the HDMI ports, they both work fine. It is the TV that is the problem.

Forgive me if I am not clear or using the correct terminology, I am new to modern 4K TV's... it was bought to replace my ageing Panasonic Plasma.

I would be grateful of any suggestions as to what the issue may be and how to fix it from members here. I quite like the TV and it's features. I think it is excellent value for money, but this is driving me to distraction at the moment. Any help appreciated.

Is everything in 4:3, or only some programs. If recorded in 4:3 then it should stay 4:3 and not forced to stretchy vision. Is the BBC news in 16:9 which it is supposed to be.

Thanks for the reply. Everything looks like 4:3.... even though the info bar for every channel says it is displaying in 16:9.

Are you using a set top box for TV or the internal tuner of the TV. If a STB then change the output to 16:9.

I use the internal tuner of the TV and have been using the Netflix, You Tube and Freeplay apps that are built into it. I use the FireTV for other apps that the TV doesn't cover.

When this started a few days ago, the aspect ratio that was originally thrown up was a very small picture at the top and centre of the screen (I'd say about 1/9th full screen size). Again, I couldn't change it without a 'restore'. The subsequent issues have been similar, but with the 4:3 type picture.

I have also got a small factor PC attached to the 3rd HDMI socket, but have yet to use it. It's weird and I wonder if it is some kind of hardware conflict, because I have not seen any similar reports of a problem like this.

I do appreciate your input.

TBH then if all other inputs are OK, I do not have any idea but to suggest chatting to your supplier for a possible replacement.

Cheers, I will see how things go this week and try to pin down the exact circumstances that trigger the problem. I will then contact John Lewis if it continues.

Update.. After a restore, things were OK till this evening when I watched a programme on BBC iPlayer on the TV's Freeplay app. When I switched back to TV mode, the problem with the 4:3 type picture was back! Strange indeed... looked through the HDMI connections, and the Fire TV in HDMI2 is affected in the same way.

Last edited:
I had this problem once, it occurred after I streamed a video on YouTube from my phone to the TV instead of going through the YouTube app. Something went wrong and the video crashed and coming out of YouTube back to TV it was displaying everything in 4:3 cut out, an option it doesn't even have in its settings for you to select! It corrected itself after I powered off the TV and it has been fine since. Are you running the latest software? Perhaps 'fix' the settings again and while it is still displaying the image correctly, update the TV if you haven't done so already.

Thanks for that, it's weirdly reassuring that I'm not the only one with this type of issue! I suspect it is definitely some sort of software glitch which randomly occurs when switching between HDMI sources or apps within the TV. I haven't tried powering down the TV (but I will do now), I have always done a full restore to fix it. At the moment I am trying different things in the settings one at a time to try and isolate a particular trigger. If I can identify the specific causes, it will be an easier conversation with the store if it can't be resolved.

Fair enough, but I had presumed that a factory restore would clear everything (particularly when it appeared to work). I know better now.

OK, so a quick final update to assist anyone who may be in a similar position with their Hisense TV. I tried the 'power down' suggestion and this seems to work to a degree. Where the issue arose about every other day following a factory restore, it is much less frequent by cutting and restoring the power to the TV. This method has the advantage of being so much easier to do, I removed the power cord and replaced it immediately, this has the effect of solving the issue without having to go through the time and trouble of redoing all the settings. I can live with that to be honest, as I quite like the TV. Obviously, if it deteriorates, I can fall back on the 5 year guarantee. Thanks to those that took the time to post and help with suggestions, as a relative novice, I found it a great help and it has encouraged me to have a good look around this fantastic forum.

If it happens again can you get a list of channels it occured on, times and the programme being watched. It is best if is a daily programme. As mine will be running the same s/w, well I assume so, will see what mine shows. Mine in an U8F but should make no difference. And by the way what version of s/w are you running? And finally is it just terrestrial channels? Are the equivalent satellite ones ok?

Hi All, I know this is late. I have had a Hisense 4k tv with this issue for 12mths.

The easiest fix is if you have Netflix or YouTube apps installed on tv, simply go into those and play a current, modern show or video.

This will force the tv back to full screen.

This is the only fix I have found.

Other than this it is an A+ tv.

Hi. I have model B7500 (eu). When screen shrinks to 4:3 i press 3or 4times TxT button and format changes to normal 16:9.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom